PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home edition XP Failure

Gary
18-03-2004, 13:31:50
Just realised that I have another techie type question.

Recently my primary PC screwed. I'd left it on the Net when I went back to Bristol for what was left of Saturday and Sunday. Got back Sunday night at about 11:45, the PC was claiming 100% processor use !

Like a sucker I decided to close each app in turn to spot the culprit. It was reacting so slow I didn't finish until an hour later, when the PC was still at 100% utilisation, and all obvious stuff closed (no more icons on the bottom bar).

Decided to reboot, wouldn't come in. Can only get it to boot into "safe mode".

I decided it must have been one of those recently downloaded CD related utils that I'd installed. The virus checker had found nothing, but I guess a duff driver might cause problems.

Well have not been able to find a way to reverse the problem. Tried what I think is all the obvious stuff.

So a) is there an easy way to get back to where I was before the problem ?

b) failing that, how does one reinstall the Windows XP Home Edition which came with the PC, when the supplier didn't supply any system install disk ?

There is a dir labelled I3somethingorother on the hard drive, which seems to hold some files, but not setup. Or at least I think so, from what I can remember sat typing here.

I have found some setup type apps, but they just refuse to run instructing me to go to Control Panel to install and remove stuff, which is a fat lot of good.

Before I get too pissed off with PC suppliers and MS, and start to call them all nasty names (and go search for an illicit install disk) has anyone any ideas on repairing that one ? If I could get it going I could watch/use one PC for normal while the other concentrates on failing to get a good copy from the dodgy DVDs.

Cheers.

Venom
18-03-2004, 13:50:00
Couple of options. First, XP can create restore points. You can try to restore to a previous point (if you have one, you may not) by going under your system tools and selecting System Restore. Pretty self explanatory from there.

Secondly, using the XP disk that came with the machine, put it in the CD drive and restart the computer. You should be asked on reboot to hit a ket to boot with the CD. Do that, and you'll be taken to the XP reinstall program. There's 2 options here, re-install windows or repair. Try the repair options first. If that doesn't work, the problem is pretty serious, and you should totally reinstall windows.

Funkodrom
18-03-2004, 14:08:57
Wrong login.

zmama
18-03-2004, 14:11:15
And a question(or two)... Do you have a firewall installed? Have you religiously done your windows critical updates?

Venom
18-03-2004, 14:13:37
I'm guessing no on the firewall, because it sounds like someone, in technical terms, fucked his shit up.

Gary
18-03-2004, 14:38:28
Originally posted by Venom
Couple of options. First, XP can create restore points. You can try to restore to a previous point (if you have one, you may not) by going under your system tools and selecting System Restore. Pretty self explanatory from there.

Cheers. I'll take another look tonight, but one does get given the option to restore to a known working state on the way in, and that fails to achieve anything.

Secondly, using the XP disk that came with the machine, put it in the CD drive and restart the computer. You should be asked on reboot to hit a ket to boot with the CD. Do that, and you'll be taken to the XP reinstall program. There's 2 options here, re-install windows or repair. Try the repair options first. If that doesn't work, the problem is pretty serious, and you should totally reinstall windows.

Using the XP disk that came with the machine ? If I had one of those I'd probably be OK but I've looked at the additional bumf that came with the system and the only CD was for MS Money IIRC.

Gary
18-03-2004, 14:39:20
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Wrong login.

Damn, and I thought Venom was trying to be helpful too. :(

Gary
18-03-2004, 14:41:28
Originally posted by zmama
And a question(or two)... Do you have a firewall installed? Have you religiously done your windows critical updates?

Yes and yes.

I suspect I may have 2 firewalls as I loaded old faithful from Zone Alarm asap, and later found out XP had one of its own anyway. I keep getting moaned at by auto install so I probably have the most up to date Windows in the world outside MS, except possibly since Saturday that is.

Gary
18-03-2004, 14:44:30
I'm guessing no on the firewall, because it sounds like someone, in technical terms, fucked his shit up.

Well, doubley not correct. :)

Unless of course someone disguised their nasty as a legitimate update that is. I still remain suspicious of the DVD progs I installed. I did virus check them, but it only takes one to slip through I guess.

Gary
18-03-2004, 17:40:54
First, XP can create restore points. You can try to restore to a previous point (if you have one, you may not) by going under your system tools and selecting System Restore. Pretty self explanatory from there.

System Restore has been turned off and cannot be turned on in Safe Mode.
To turn on System Restore, restart in Normal mode and then run System Restore again.

!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Nav
18-03-2004, 17:48:13
if you werent supplied a disc with your PC, you should then have some sort of technical support from your supplier, possibly even on-site. You could take advantage of that.

No longer Trippin
18-03-2004, 17:53:32
I take it you don't have any backups made? Have you ran spybot as if you selevtively close some spyware programs from the Task Manager you can screw some shit up as some don't like trying to be forced to end.

As for the XP Firewall, it is shit (esp. if on 24/7) and isn't even enabled on most systems. I personally don't like ZoneAlarm anymore, but it still should be enough to keep most people out even under default settings.

Gary
18-03-2004, 18:14:32
Originally posted by Nav
if you werent supplied a disc with your PC, you should then have some sort of technical support from your supplier, possibly even on-site. You could take advantage of that.

I have thought of that, but it was an auction. http://www.morgan-auctions.co.uk Maybe as a last resort I could contact their store webpage.

Gary
18-03-2004, 18:17:26
Originally posted by No longer Trippin
I take it you don't have any backups made? Have you ran spybot as if you selevtively close some spyware programs from the Task Manager you can screw some shit up as some don't like trying to be forced to end.

As for the XP Firewall, it is shit (esp. if on 24/7) and isn't even enabled on most systems. I personally don't like ZoneAlarm anymore, but it still should be enough to keep most people out even under default settings.

No back-ups. Never really needed them in the past, and to be honest not had the PC long enough to really give it consideration.

Occassionally some things I have had to force closed, when they seem to freeze, but can't recall on which PC or details like that.

Gary
18-03-2004, 18:19:58
What about this ?

I try to run winnt32.exe found in the c:i286 directory, in the hope that it i some kind of re-install.

It says that the installation source path specified to setup is invalid. contact system admin.

OK so where is the installation source path specified ? maybe I can change it to point somewhere useful.

zmama
18-03-2004, 18:43:19
That won't help you. You have to have the xp disk. You may end up having to buy one, sorry to say, or illegally obtain a cracked copy.

QtFLW@Work
18-03-2004, 21:00:27
Originally posted by Gary
Recently my primary PC screwed.

I hope it used viral protection.

Some brands of PCs have the restore "disk" installed on a separate partition of the hard drive. HP is big on this (not sure about Compaq), and I think Sony is starting to do it too.

It's generally very difficult to get a restore CD from them, but if you beg, plead, threaten and cajole long enough they might give you one (or sell you one, the bastards).

If you can borrow an XP disk off a friend, you could do a reinstall from that, since XP these days comes with a licence sticker that should be stuck to your box somewhere. Know anyone else with XP?

Sir Penguin
18-03-2004, 21:07:03
Have you managed to boot into safe mode yet? If not, what's the problem with it?

SP

Gary
18-03-2004, 21:10:13
The screwed PC is a HP. Can not see an authorisation sticker on it, but the manual says it should have one.
The "reserve" I'm presently using is a Compaq. It has a sticker on the top.

All this damn fuss ! I can probably get a illicit version over the weekend, and being put though all this fuss, as a customer, I don't have any qualms about using it. Damn overpowerful companies !

QtFLW@Work
18-03-2004, 21:45:48
I'd say don't blame MicroSoft for this, it's HP's decision not to send out restore discs, but I've read reports that MS is offering larger discounts to OEMs that don't provide discs. Of course, this could be patently false, so take it with a grain of salt.

QtFLW@Work
18-03-2004, 21:52:17
From HP's website.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=prodinfo&prodId=hppavilion391732&docName=bph07142#N1001D

Restoring software and drivers in Windows XP
Most HP computers with Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Do the following steps, in order, to restore a software application or driver in Windows XP:

NOTE: Some HP computers with Windows XP do not have a software application recovery or have few software applications available. If the software application is not listed for application recovery, you can find and install the same software from the Web, perform an entire system recovery, or purchase and use a full version of the software application from a local computer store.

Click Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and Application Recovery.

In the Recovery window, select either Drivers or Applications, and click Next.

Select the software driver or application that is to be reinstalled, and click Next.

The driver or application is automatically reinstalled and may take a long time to complete.

Permission errors

Windows XP requires administrator rights in order to backup files or run the recovery process from within Windows XP. If logged on as a guest, the recovery process will not start. Perform the following steps to log on with administrative rights:

Click Start, then select Log Off.

Select Switch To, then select Administrator instead of Guest. If Switch To is unavailable, select Log Off XP.

When Windows XP restarts, select Log on as Administrator.

NOTE: If the Administrator log on is password protected, supply the password or contact the person who set up the computer.

zmama
18-03-2004, 21:52:52
And he bought it at auction...it may not have a legal copy on it. Cause even from HP there will be a sticker with the key.

Gary
18-03-2004, 21:58:59
Mmm didn't consider HP website. I'll read and try it.

Yes it was an auction, but run by Morgans, who I believe is a reputable commercial concern. It's not private sellers, but they shifting stock to highest bidder, so the existing installations should be legit.

QtFLW@Work
18-03-2004, 22:26:08
Should be being the operative word. Some companies are prohibiting the resale of their software, and while HP couldn't prohibit the resale of XP, it may well do so with it's drivers.

Gary, does your PC have the licence key sticker on it?

Also, read this (http://www.complaints.com/november2001/complaintoftheday.november9.12.htm) for some interesting stuff regarding hard drive failures.

Let this be a lesson to all concerned: never buy HP/Compaq!

Incidentally, LoC bought a Compaq a few years ago. It's never worked right from day one, and eventually I had to reinstall the operating system (which I did by completely repartitioning the drive into one partition, then installing a proper copy of Windows 98SE on it. I think some of the drivers might not quite function correctly with the hardware, but it suits the purposes of the kids).

Build your own or get a non-OEM whitebox style PC you don't have to jump through hoops to mess with if you want or need to.

Gary
18-03-2004, 22:43:52
Shoot... you can only install one application, or one driver, at a time ! No full system option.

I tell a lie, back on the menu there's a "system recovery" as well as an "applications/drivers recovery" !

Hang on in there, this is looking useful ... Lots getting reinstalled ...

Yes Yes Yes !!!

I know in retrospect it seems an obvious thing to try, but I'm here thinking "operating system / MS" not "hardware / HP". After all it wasn't hardware that was screwed as far as I knew !

Still got some setting up to do but ... well wow.!!! .. I'll remember this just in case it happens again.

QtFLW@Work Thanks ! Pleaase accept this big sloppy kiss just from me X Now brace yourself :D

BTW have you seen my other thread ;)

No longer Trippin
19-03-2004, 01:48:31
I'd make a backup now that you got it running.

Gary
19-03-2004, 08:14:53
That's rather kind of you. Thank you very much :)

QtFLW@Work
19-03-2004, 20:22:27
My first forum based wet sloppy kiss from a stranger :love:

:D