PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what GWS 2.0 is?

Sir Penguin
15-03-2004, 06:07:21
It was listening on port 80 after my last reboot (I found out because Apache wouldn't start). I've been running Apache off and on successfully for about a week.

Anyway, when Apache wouldn't start I checked netstat, and sure enough something was listening on port 80. I checked my process list, but nothing seemed unusual. When I telnetted to localhost on port 80, the attached text appeared, but only after I pressed the 'l' key. There was nothing special in the msconfig startup section, nor in my startup folder. I didn't notice anything unusual in my ZoneAlarm program listing. Google suggests that it was the Groove Web Services product, of which I've never heard. Google also says that Google.com runs on GWS 2.0. Apparently it has something to do with SOAP and .NET. I have the .NET framework installed, and I have a book about SOAP that I won at a Linux User Group raffle, but nothing's changed about either of them recently.

Apache runs fine after a reboot, but once it's shut down GWS seems to latch on to the port and I can't start Apache back up (I was able to yesterday). I'm running a virus scan now, but I doubt that's it, a. because I never get viruses, and b. because I did a full scan quite recently. Spybot doesn't say anything relevant. I'm pretty sure I haven't installed anything for a while, except the latest version of ZoneAlarm (which I think I installed after the problem started).

Does anyone know anything about GWS?

SP

Sir Penguin
15-03-2004, 06:09:39
OK, somehow I've shut down GWS and I can start Apache back up. I telnetted in, and pressed the 'g' key. Huh.

SP

Venom
15-03-2004, 13:37:48
Good work. Dork.

Darkstar
23-03-2004, 18:43:19
So, you are wondering why a MS .Net web service is running? Or why it is using GWS?

Could be standard package, could be part of a package you installed (and you didn't know about), could be that you've been rooted and your machine is an echo/shadow server. Take your pick.

You should be able to hit the MSDN site and find out if it is a standard part of a .Net load. I don't recall it being so, but I've got the full .Net pack on this machine, and that insist strongly on IIS and PWS (which I have squarely locked down to never, ever run and have port 80 filtered out by my local firewall).