PDA

View Full Version : Refused

Scabrous Birdseed
05-03-2004, 16:28:12
I suppose I was going to have to check out the local music scene at some point, the most prominent feature of which is an enormous and furiously active Hardcore scene, supposedly world leading and blah di blah. The most famous band off that scene is 5-year-disbanded experimental post-hardcore outfit Refused, and after seeing it ineptly name-dropped in that awful rag Mojo recently I borrowed their last album The Shape of Punk To Come down at the library.

Is this something the Reading contingent are into? I ask 'cause it sounds like the kind of thing that'd appeal (metally punk with experimental quiet bits), and also 'cause the Mojo article it was namedropped in was about The Mars Volta. This is much better though, less prog-rocky. I certainly enjoyed it.

Debaser
05-03-2004, 16:39:17
I downloaded a few tracks off of The Shape Of Punk To Come, purely because it shares a title with one of my favourite songs (I presume you can work out which song Mr Birdseed, you did give it to me). Bit shouty is what I thought at the time, but I might go back and have a re-listen based on the Mars Volta comparison.

Mr. Bas
05-03-2004, 19:35:40
Refused are a pretty good band. I think the vocals are a bit over the top every now and then, but musically they're brilliant and quite inventive and original, especially for a hardcore band. I've only got 'The shape of punk to come', but their earlier stuff is supposed to be really good as well.

Eklektikos
06-03-2004, 21:16:53
I haven't heard them yet. How do they compare to the likes of DEP, Converge and Isis?

Mr. Bas
07-03-2004, 03:31:13
They're not too different from Converge, not quite as extreme though, especially wrt the vocals. I'm not really familiar with Isis or DEP, but if you like Converge, I think Refused is right up your alley.