PDA

View Full Version : Protein!

Caligastia
04-03-2004, 15:33:00
I need some help/advice. Is there any way I can take a song I like and mix down all the other instruments except the drums? I know when I copy from the CD onto my computer it's all one file and not separate tracks, but is there something I can do in Cakewalk or Sound Forge to take out everything but the drums so I am left with (more or less) the original drum track?

Nills Lagerbaak
04-03-2004, 15:47:59
I'm not Protein, but I may be able to help. When you create something in e.g. Cakewalk it is many audio files (at least one for each instrum,ent - and very memory intensive) when you want to put this onto CD, you combine all the Audio files into 2 (one left and one right) thus saving a lot of memory.
So the stuff you have on CD is the resultant wave form of all the instruments and there is no way you can reverse the process.

Correct me if I'm wrong Protein.

Caligastia
04-03-2004, 16:13:09
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
I'm not Protein, but I may be able to help. When you create something in e.g. Cakewalk it is many audio files (at least one for each instrum,ent - and very memory intensive) when you want to put this onto CD, you combine all the Audio files into 2 (one left and one right) thus saving a lot of memory.
So the stuff you have on CD is the resultant wave form of all the instruments and there is no way you can reverse the process.

Correct me if I'm wrong Protein.

Thanks for your input Nills, but I think you misunderstood my question. If I had created the song myself it would be no problem to isolate the drum track. What I am trying to do is take Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and use my computer to isolate the drums.

Scabrous Birdseed
04-03-2004, 16:16:04
You could do it (badly) using noise filters. Is there any part of the song with just the drums or without the drums?

Caligastia
04-03-2004, 16:20:19
There's a couple of parts that have just the drums for a second or two. Which software can you use for this?

Nills Lagerbaak
04-03-2004, 16:22:45
What I'm saying is that whoever creates the song once they put it onto standard CD format, there is no way to revert back to the distinct instruments.
Maybe Scabbys noise/frequency filters may work (crudely)

Scabrous Birdseed
04-03-2004, 16:24:34
Originally posted by Caligastia
There's a couple of parts that have just the drums for a second or two. Which software can you use for this?

CoolEdit would be my choice. Let me see if I can isolate a drum track on another song using that method.

zmama
04-03-2004, 16:28:06
You can IF it isn't fairly equally distributed across left and right channels...
And I'd try cool edit, like Scabby says.

Caligastia
04-03-2004, 16:30:26
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
What I'm saying is that whoever creates the song once they put it onto standard CD format, there is no way to revert back to the distinct instruments.
Maybe Scabbys noise/frequency filters may work (crudely)

I see.

Caligastia
04-03-2004, 16:31:20
Is cool edit easy to use? Would some kind soul who has it be able to help me out with this track?

protein
04-03-2004, 16:51:46
Hang on. Is there a break of just drums that you want to use or do you want to some how extract the drums from the music? And if so do you want to keep the drums or the drumless music.

If you just want to sample a drum break and use that in a song there a million ways to to do it. Firstly you want to sample it with, lets say Wavelab, and then trigger it with something like Reason or a VST plug in sampler or something.

If you want to somehow extract the drums from a full track it just won't happen I'm afraid.

protein
04-03-2004, 16:52:26
Like Nills said.

Caligastia
04-03-2004, 17:11:16
Originally posted by protein
Hang on. Is there a break of just drums that you want to use or do you want to some how extract the drums from the music? And if so do you want to keep the drums or the drumless music.

If you just want to sample a drum break and use that in a song there a million ways to to do it. Firstly you want to sample it with, lets say Wavelab, and then trigger it with something like Reason or a VST plug in sampler or something.

If you want to somehow extract the drums from a full track it just won't happen I'm afraid.

Damn. I guess I'll just have to program my drum machine as closely to the song as I can. I wonder if there's a site that would have the drum track for that song that someone re-created available for download.

BigGameHunter
05-03-2004, 05:15:20
Isn't there an equivalent for tabulature in drums?

protein
05-03-2004, 09:07:05
There is. I can't make head nor tail of it. I could have had a career as a session drummer if I could.

BigGameHunter
05-03-2004, 15:49:56
Ah...I was just thinking if he had to resort to his drum machine, he could find the tabs to make it easier.

Caligastia
07-03-2004, 18:55:19
I probably wouldn't need the tabs to be able to make a reasonable job of it. The drums are pretty simple in that song.

PosterBoy
08-03-2004, 08:50:33
What would you expect, they're played by a drummer *ducks*

Nav
11-03-2004, 15:33:14
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Isn't there an equivalent for tabulature in drums? One thing I came I came out with after 5 years of drum lessons at school was the ability to read drum music. (probably still can)

Shame I couldnt actually play them....

Scabrous Birdseed
11-03-2004, 15:56:29
Originally posted by Nav
One thing I came I came out with after 5 years of drum lessons at school was the ability to read drum music.

Is that first "I came" meant to be an indication that you orgasmed at that point in the writing of the sentence? If so I suggest brackets might be appropriate.

protein
11-03-2004, 16:36:18
No, his name is Came I . Capitals and punctuation were needed.

King_Ghidra
11-03-2004, 16:42:12
very clever :)