PDA

View Full Version : Where's the warez?

Adam Bomb
26-02-2002, 02:46:41
:smoke:

For a gaming site there's very little mention of warez. You can't honestly tell me you actually pay for the games! If you do, then can I recommend the lovely sharing/leeching program - Edonkey.
It is awfully good.:shoot: :vom: :bounce:

Darkstar
26-02-2002, 05:59:18
That's because most of us really do buy the games.

Of course, most of us wait to get it from the bargain bin. :D

Sir Penguin
26-02-2002, 07:17:34
And those of us who don't pay for our games prefer to talk about the games, rather than about buying them.

SP

Vincent Fandango
26-02-2002, 07:58:13
I only got games I paid for. Either it's worth paying for it or I don't need it (-> CivIII). There are a few games I bought at full price (THPS3 will be one of them).

Darkstar
26-02-2002, 08:23:34
SP, LOL! You play a lot of Linux free stuff, don't you? :D

Shining1
26-02-2002, 09:15:56
Actually, I can honestly tell you that:).

FunkyFingers
26-02-2002, 10:29:07
Warez Schmarez.
Parasitic spongeing off genuine consumers. If you want to play it, buy it. There's no such thing as a free lunch you know (and other cliches).

The thing that annoys me even more about Warez sites than the above is the fact that all the sites are plagued with bloody pop-ups for utter drivel. Rubbish. What's the point.

Adam Bomb
26-02-2002, 13:38:55
I hate Warez sites too because there are never any warez there, only annoying pop up screens. Sharing is the way forward and it is really easy to download any game you want and to let others upload one of your games. Of course if I had the money to spend on a new PC game I would be spending it on my PS2.:vom:

Funkodrom
26-02-2002, 13:52:50
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm PS2...

Venom
26-02-2002, 14:08:34
I buy what I want to buy, and I steal what I want to steal.

Adam Bomb
26-02-2002, 14:40:19
I buy when I can afford it. I share out of kindness. I download something whenever I want to try it out.

Venom
26-02-2002, 14:47:11
I share because you can't take without sharing. It just doesn't work mathematically.

Funkodrom
26-02-2002, 14:51:38
I steal because graffiti in THPS taught me that it was good.

Venom
26-02-2002, 14:57:29
Pah! Video games don't make people do bad things.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got some Nazi's to shoot and some dog food to eat. Mein Leben!

Sir Penguin
26-02-2002, 22:41:31
Originally posted by Darkstar
SP, LOL! You play a lot of Linux free stuff, don't you? :D

:D

SP

DaShi
27-02-2002, 02:54:27
I don't really play games. I just read about them and other people's posts about them. Then I extrapulate, and pretend that I have played the game. Afterwards, I go out to night clubs with sexy supermodels. Then, unfortunately, I wake up.

Darkstar
05-03-2002, 07:55:42
For those of you that make use of warez sites, beware. I went hunting a full featured demo version of Uplink, while waiting on my purchased copy to get cut and shipped. Took me a long while to locate such a thing... 25% of the warez sites tried to crash my system, thanks to infections from viruses, worms, and just nasty people with nasty humor. Another 25% tried to access financial and password information on my machine. And that's what the security and protection apps I run caught. Nothing has shown up on my statements since, but a word to the wise.

Speaking of piracy... I find this crackdown of the FBI on pirates ridiculous. According to the Federal Government, game piracy costs the game business 4 billion dollars (US), worldwide. 1.5 Billion was domestic (US), 1.5 Billion was lost in Asia/Oceania, and about 1 Billion was lost in the EU. Ok... here's the catch that gets me... They busted the DrinkOrDie! pirate ring, which they CLAIM is responsible for 95% of all pirated games, protected music, and protected movies. In court, the group is convicted of... causing 45 million damages/lost total. Almost all of that is to.... the big movie studios. (Which just happened to be the guys who got the Administration to tell the FBI to go shut down the pirates.) Now, that's a joke... If 95% of all PIRATED games was sourced by them, they should be responsible for a bit more then 45 Mill, don't you think?

And the FBI had set up a warez site to get in the good graces with the big pirates. That site became one of the better hubs for piracy (top 10 site, according the news I've read). They ran it for 18 months. I'm surprised the greedy bastards that are chasing Napster and all it's near kin for $200,000 per instance of piracy aren't going after the government. They have records of every act of crime they made at that site. If an undercover cop makes his bones while infiltrating a gang, he's still committed murder. So I don't see them getting a free ride for being one of THE centers of piracy... :D

Shining1
07-03-2002, 01:43:48
That figure of $4 billion is vastly inflated, too.

In order for downloading a game to cost the industry money, the person downloading it has to be able to afford the cost of the game - i.e, for it to be credible, they would actually have gone and bought the game in the store if they weren't able to download it.

Stack that up against some of the more enthusiastic warez users I know, and I'm wondering where a second year design student is supposed to get $2000-3000NZ to buy computer games with.

The evidence from the whole Napster affair is pretty compelling, too. Last year, with Napster shut down, CD sales actually fell:). Now, you can blame that on the recession or world economic downturn or whatever, but the message is that Napster's net visible effect on sales figures is zilch. Nothing. Maybe even a positive number (i.e, when you download a song, the Record companies should pay YOU).

So the whole internet piracy problem is a scam devised by lawyers to make money. The reason the games industry is confined to a tiny corner of the entertainment world is because they make games that appeal to a very small section of society - not because everyone is stealing them and if they stopped then all the developers would suddenly get rich.

Darkstar
07-03-2002, 06:05:39
Well, most people wouldn't *buy* the stuff they pirate in the first place, game/warez wise. Maybe 1 out of 100...

Games are not small time. The Software Game Industry makes more money then the Movie Industry does, and the big games now have an equal sized budget spent on them. And games just keep getting bigger, and supposedly, better. The eye candy is, but I'm not sure about the overall fun level. A game is a game, and whether it uses ansi character graphics (Angband) or serious eye candy (Diablo), does that difference in eye candy really improve the fun you have? Fun is fun. And it's the gameplay, and ease of use, that the user really notices and interacts with. Poor gameplay, and the fun is limited, or not at all. Bad interface, and it interferes with the user having fun.

I saw an article on Computer Gamer Online... one of their regular contributors was going on about DOA 3... and how it's main feature was the best virtual bouncing breasts ever. Is that true, Venom? That's what cutting edge eye candy is these days, eh?

Shining1
07-03-2002, 06:17:55
Diablo was good, Diablo2's graphics were pretty out of date:).

The game industry is only as big as the movie industry if you massage the data very very carefully - taking no account of video rentals or DVD sales or income from T.V or anything. Just the box office sales. And I seriously doubt that games cost the same amount as movies - though I don't have any figures I do know that Ion Storm's DaiKatana cost a shocking $30 million or so to make - and that included setting up the whole developer and everything. The X-men, a fairly middle of the road action movie, by comparison, cost $75 million.

Yes, graphics do make a difference. There's the immersive quality they provide, as well as the technical aspect - you can play Angband in ASCII, but you can't play Wolfenstein like that. There's the initial happy stun they give - the first level of Unreal, for instance, which can carry you a long way through a game. Immersion:).

Darkstar
07-03-2002, 10:13:06
Actually, that is a comparison that leaves out the merchandising, as I understand the data sources and statistics. And it's not all movies. Just American games versus American movies. Rentals are included, but that's rental of game cartridges competing pretty evenly with movie DVDs.

Diakatana was shocking at the time, but it was just close to average costs compared to the next cycle. Now, that's scary.

And X-Men, believe it or not, was a high cost movie. Average movie funding is between 2 million to 5 million... which is lower then the average big game funding, from their statistics. BHGs, for instance is floating on $10 Mill for it's game. Firaxis did Civ3 for somewhere between 5 to 15, from what little I've seen it's costs to produce... don't know how reliable those figures are though. But a decent shop can expect between 5 Mill to 20 Mill easy, from what I'm told. And a game with lots of computer 3D rendering? More. But again, that's proven shops. Just like proven producers. Not the stellars.

Humm... time will tell, I suppose.