PDA

View Full Version : LWP6 Part 1- Submitter's comments

Lazarus and the Gimp
27-02-2004, 17:21:16
Claim your tracks and tell us about them here.

Debaser
27-02-2004, 17:54:49
Number 5 is a song called "Babe Come Down" by a band called Sammy. I saw Sammy preform this song on The Word in 1994, and promptly went out and bought the album. I don't think anyone else did. While Sammy were a standard 3 piece in many ways, they were basically singer/guitarist/producer/songwriter Jesse Hartman's band (Jesse later found mlld success in the indie/electro outfit Laptop). I think playing on the Word was probably the pinacle of their success, though other notable achievements include the drummer from Teenage Fanclub wearing a Sammy t-shirt in the Sparky's Dream video. They have absolutely nothing to do with the Strokes or that whole "the" band movement.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-03-2004, 14:17:17
Track 3: I'm a bit dissapointed that more of you weren't offended. Maybe I should have picked one of DJ Assault's more horrible tracks ("Nut in Your Eye" or something) just to get a rise out of you.

However, I'm also dissapointed most of you chose not to see past the inane message and say something more about the music, short of the predicatable comment of "repetetive". Well, it does get boring quickly, because the genre (Ghetto-Tech, detroit's techno-infused answer to Bass) isn't based around singles but rather DJ mixes with 30-second snippets spliced together and variably filtered in a delerious and fast-paced skill game. Of course, such a display is hard to trascribe in a single track but I was hoping to pique your interest. Maybe an instrumental would have worked better than Yo Relatives in that respect...

Oh well. I couldn't have put on a track which was both more and less offensive, especially as it wouldn't link with my other track if I did.

Debaser
14-03-2004, 14:44:36
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
...the genre (Ghetto-Tech, detroit's techno-infused answer to Bass) isn't based around singles but rather DJ mixes with 30-second snippets spliced together and variably filtered in a delerious and fast-paced skill game.

Ghetto-tech? It sounds like everything Skint records put out about 3 years ago to me, ie: rubbish charty big-beat.

Scabrous Birdseed
14-03-2004, 14:48:35
Well it's obviously not an area you're familiar with then. To begin with there are no samples besides the dude's voice. Add actual rhythm, strict electro hardness and proper basslines and you've got a dire roster of differences... I'd say house and trance and techno are closer to each other than Big Beat is to Ghetto-Tech.

Debaser
14-03-2004, 15:12:34
Haha, I tried to familiarise myself, but couldn't find the Ghetto-Tec section in HMV. What does "strict electro hardness" even mean? And "actual rhythm" as opposed to what? Fake rhythm? Pretend rhythm? If the same song came out on a big beat compilation would you like it as much? (this is a rhetorical question, we all know you wouldn't)

My problem with tiny sub-genre's like this is that they become so strictly defined that the genre basically dictates what the song sounds like. What's the point in that?

King_Ghidra
15-03-2004, 09:37:46
that track is unmitigated shit

offensive? no, more embarassing than anything

good to see scabby rolled out the 'it's too sophisticated, you don't understand it' argument :lol:

get a grip scabby, that track is the kind of truly dire shite that a million kids have turned out on their ps2 versions of dance ejay

King_Ghidra
15-03-2004, 09:39:49
oh my track was track 6 and simon says by pharoe monche

i think...

anyway a fairly old track now but i've wanted to put it on an LWP for ages and it made me think of a nice link between my two songs.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-03-2004, 10:05:26
The difference is that this is stripped-down, minimal and simple whereas Big Beat just reuses crap, overblown samples in a crap, overblown way. This is much purer, only the 808 and the 303 and the dude's voice. Plus that this has a rhythmical, dancable quality where "dance" music is practically easy listening you can barely move to unless you're brain-dead. I'd dance to this, Big Beat just bores me to tears.

Don't tell me it didn't make you nod your head.

I admit it's an extreme form in its simplicity, reduced below most electronic music, but if you've ever tried fucking about with Rebirth you'll see just how tricky simplicity is to achieve. And yes- it is stupid. It's one of only a handful of truly stupid styles that manages to actually work. It's a style emerged from below, made by people who're actually stupid rather than manufactured for the stupid audience. You've got to admire that, especially as the result is so appealing.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-03-2004, 10:10:14
Originally posted by Debaser
My problem with tiny sub-genre's like this is that they become so strictly defined that the genre basically dictates what the song sounds like. What's the point in that?

I'd disagree. A genre community is more likely to produce more original music as the members spur each other on and try to outdo each other. A closely-knit musical community like, say, the Jamaican one progresses at a much faster pace than a big, vaguely defined musical field which has no motivation to innovate.

Most new music has started out as a small sub-genre.

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-03-2004, 17:12:20
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
And yes- it is stupid. It's one of only a handful of truly stupid styles that manages to actually work. It's a style emerged from below, made by people who're actually stupid rather than manufactured for the stupid audience. You've got to admire that, especially as the result is so appealing.

There you go. Made for retards by retards.

Scabrous Birdseed
15-03-2004, 17:16:47
Yaaaay!

Gramercy Riffs
15-03-2004, 17:25:28
Track 1 was mine and was One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket.

Their album It Still Moves was my favourite of last year and I could have picked any track from it because it's a great album from start to finish (a rare thing nowadays). Anyway, if you liked this song (and a few of you did), then they are worth checking out further. Also check them out if they play near you because they are excellent live too.

King_Ghidra
16-03-2004, 09:59:11
btw got It Still Moves the the day, like it very much, nice recommendation

i found it very neil young

Eklektikos
16-03-2004, 10:46:26
Track 2 was mine and, as BGH (and at least one other person) guessed, was a song by Oregon's Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out to be precise. This wasn't actually my original choice for inclusion in this LWP but ended up on the disc because I figured it would be easier for Debaser to find, was similar enough to my first choice for the connection to still work and is really just a damn good song from a damn good album by a damn good band. Damn.

King_Ghidra
16-03-2004, 10:57:51
Then i must thank you, because not only had i never heard Dig Me out, which is a truly fucking brilliant track, but it made me go and get Dig Me Out the album, on which i became reacquainted with One More Hour, which was a much loved song from the past that i hadn't heard for years and which i am now back in love with :D

Oh and i meant to say, Debaser, track 5 is also one of my favourites of the compilation. Absolutely loved it.