PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read that SimGolf review?

Funkodrom
25-02-2002, 14:25:40
The one I linked on the news. Comments?

Resource Consumer
25-02-2002, 14:27:59
I just have and was about to post a thread. I really think Sid is washed up. He now has a reputation for rushing out buggy products just to drag in the spondoolicks. Sure, he's in business to make money, but you get the feeling that it's just a case of stuffing things out of the door. I short, Sid just doesn't care any more.

Once you start playing SimGolf it's hard to stop, but all is not perfection. The version out of the box (1.0) has a very serious bug: tournaments with a purse of $500K or more crash the program. At this point in the game you can earn enough money to play around the bug, but this is a very serious flaw. There are other more minor bugs and design issues that make SimGolf feel as if it was rushed to the shelves. For example, sometimes a golfer sitting on a bench next to a tee will lose some shot options; if a fairway has an indentation a ball can get caught in an almost endless loop in the dip; and there are some pathfinding problems which can result in golfers becoming "stuck."

In addition, some design issues are frustrating. A sim named I.M. Picky must play (and enjoy) your course in order to purchase additional land. However, there are times when you have the cash but have no room to expand, and Mr. Picky is no where to be found, frustrating your ability to grow. In addition, you only have 50 years before the game "ends" and you can no longer continue growing your career (and the years go by VERY fast). It's very frustrating to be creating a golf dynasty and have an arbitrary limit end your career.

Venom
25-02-2002, 15:12:09
I didn't read the review, but judging by what RC quoted, I'd fucking hate it. Those things would just piss me off to no end.

Venom
25-02-2002, 15:20:06
Originally posted by Resource Consumer

...if a fairway has an indentation a ball can get caught in an almost endless loop in the dip; and there are some pathfinding problems which can result in golfers becoming "stuck."

Although that does remind me of the time I flipped my golf cart and got stuck underneath it in the 15th fairway for 4 days. I survived on golf tees and the dew that formed on the grass in the morning.

Resource Consumer
25-02-2002, 15:21:15
That's Sid for you - a stickler for realism...

Nav
25-02-2002, 16:24:53
Originally posted by Venom
Although that does remind me of the time I flipped my golf cart and got stuck underneath it in the 15th fairway for 4 days. I survived on golf tees and the dew that formed on the grass in the morning. You.. ahem.. must have had some interesting sessions on the toilet after that! :D

Resource Consumer
25-02-2002, 16:29:42
I am sure that Sid will find a way to release that as an add-on.

Venom
25-02-2002, 16:33:18
Originally posted by Nav
You.. ahem.. must have had some interesting sessions on the toilet after that! :D

That's one way of putting it! Oh my god is that a pun? An unintentional one I swear!

Nav
25-02-2002, 16:37:33
:lol:

Funkodrom
25-02-2002, 16:40:46
At least he would have had somewhere to rest his balls.

Vincent Fandango
25-02-2002, 20:39:15
I played the demo several times. It's not exactly a bad game, in fact it has some aspects that are pretty funny. It's even a little addictive in the way all these flash games on the net are addictive. Playing as a golfer it's a little like the simple flash game (Nav posted a link some months ago).

What really sucks is the interface. Sometimes a message pops up while playing with my golfer. If I click on it to remove that message, the next shot will go in any direction. Sometimes players dont take a shot and other players are queueueueueueuing. The putting of the player's golfer is done automatically based on the putting skill, no way to control it. Sometimes the golfer triers, and tries, and tries and you just watch and get annoyed of it (especially if this happens during tournaments when you REALLY need the money).

The course designer is terrible. For example you have to edit the path square by square. Click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click ...

But the main fun killer is the graphics. The comic style characters suck and the course looks like Lego. And no ego perspective (even Theme Park World had it - hell, even the old C64 Golf Construction Set had it 15 years ago). Very much like the Civ2 map editor. Terrible.

Darkstar
25-02-2002, 23:43:48
Looking at the screen shots, it seems Sid needed to talk to Will about not getting sued for using the basic 'Sims' control panel and it's look.

You realize that they claim the graphics are supposed to be like that on purpose? They were trying to get those 'cute' graphics of Rollercoaster Tycoon. Did they?

Sirius Black
26-02-2002, 06:04:38
The 500k bug and others have been removed by the latest patch (2nd patch).

Loved the demo myself, just got the game on Ebay. Ready to spend days in front of the computer (like I did with that insanely addictive demo).

Looking at the screen shots, it seems Sid needed to talk to Will about not getting sued for using the basic 'Sims' control panel and it's look.

You do realize that the game was done in conjunction with Will Wright. Hence, Simgolf.

Vincent Fandango
26-02-2002, 07:55:17
Personally I think SimGolf is far better than Civ III. Overall, even though the basic idea is pretty old, it's unique. It's The Sims Theme Park goes Shareware golf, but it works (within certain limits). After some hours it gets a little boring and repitative, but it's one of these games you usually don't start, but once you started you don't stop playing. The feel is a little like Anno 1604 (or 1604 AD).

Darkstar
26-02-2002, 08:30:08
According to Sid, he talked to Will *once*. And that was for less then 90 minutes, max. Sid said he asked Will about a couple of things, and then left. The 'Sim' branding was EA's idea but he didn't mind suckering the public.

So don't go blaming Willy for Sid's project. Sid has made it clear in several places that Will had nothing to do with the whole thing, other then that ONE talk they had.

Funkodrom
26-02-2002, 09:39:02
Originally posted by Vincent Fandango
Personally I think SimGolf is far better than Civ III. Overall, even though the basic idea is pretty old, it's unique. It's The Sims Theme Park goes Shareware golf, but it works (within certain limits). After some hours it gets a little boring and repitative, but it's one of these games you usually don't start, but once you started you don't stop playing. The feel is a little like Anno 1604 (or 1604 AD).

That sounds like a pretty good recommendation to me. Also similar to what Gamespy were saying, if it didn't have massive bugs which spoil the game it'd be doing a lot better.

Vincent Fandango
26-02-2002, 10:11:08
It will be released here in Germany in 3 weeks, so I think they'll get rid of the bugs until then. It's no "epic" game, 45 EUR is definatly too much for it

Resource Consumer
26-02-2002, 10:55:29
Patch 2 already. Sid is keeping his average up.

Vincent Fandango
26-02-2002, 11:04:37
Removed 50 year limit for required retirement.

I.M. Picky will now visit your course more often.

A better system for placing landmarks has been implemented. Free landmarks now appear in your landmark menu when Ivana donates a landmark, or when a happy ending occurs on your course. You may now place these landmarks wherever you wish.

New ability to cancel a match or tournament (use the 'wrench' icon on the interface to access this). [This was really annoying]

You can pick up a golfer and move him/her to other locations on your course, or even to the clubhouse to eject him/her. This is done by clicking on the eject-golfer icon after clicking on the golfer.

J.P Bigdome will now offer more cash if he likes your course.

Golfers in carts should no longer complain about steep slopes.
Gary Golf (or whatever you name your golf pro) no longer loses skills when buying a new course.

The 'Toilet Bowl' effect for firm-fairway and greens has been fixed.

Animals can be turned off in the preferences menu.

Golfer comments can be turned off in the preferences menu.
Display of ranking / stars / hearts on course name box has been simplified.

'Esc' key no longer will quit the game, but rather clears messages, etc.

Right-Clicks now clear messages before becoming an undo cursor.

Invalid course low score records problem is now fixed.
Problem with golfers on benches not going to the tee has been fixed.

'No Dandelion' landmarks now prevent new weeds as well as the spread of weeds.

Faster scrolling on member report screen.

Tees and Holes can no longer be removed during a tournament, though other course elements may still be altered, placed, or removed.

Clicking on the faces at the bottom of the interface/screen will now center your view on the the golfer it represents; to see more golfers in the event of overlap, hold the 'Shift' key. Golfers hole #'s are indicated, red hole# indicates a hungry golfer, blue a thirsty, and grey a tired golfer. A bluish background indicates a 'special' golfer; Ivana, J.P., or I.M. Picky.

An issue with changing the routing of your course confusing golfers who look for old holes has been corrected.

Issue with saved games becoming corrupted has been fixed.

Using the shot analysis function no longer affects the hole's fun rating.

Permanent objects: Radio Tower, Oil Platform, Oil Well cannot be removed. (these only appear at higher difficulty levels)

Tab key now cycles through unhappy golfers. Note: when rotating a building or sizing a tree with the tab key it will still first allow the rotation and sizing of the building, tree, or landmark.

I wonder if the did some testing

Funkodrom
26-02-2002, 11:32:32
"J.P Bigdome" :hmm:

Sirius Black
26-02-2002, 19:52:32
So don't go blaming Willy for Sid's project. Sid has made it clear in several places that Will had nothing to do with the whole thing, other then that ONE talk they had.

So? Will gave his blessing to use the interface and all that.

Blaming? Hell, Will hasn't done anything this good since SimCity 2000!!

Vincent Fandango
26-02-2002, 20:00:17
Sid hasn't done anything this good since ... I don't know when. Civ2? Not really

Resource Consumer
26-02-2002, 20:18:12
Sid hasn't done anything good. Sid is in fact an acronym a printing press that simply puts a name on the box.

Darkstar
05-03-2002, 07:39:50
Imran, pardon yourself, but... Will's last thing was The Sims. Definately a serious wonder of gaming. You'd have to be pretty old as a gamer goes to remember another game like it. :D

So... Sid's Golf, or Golf Tycoon 2? Which is better?

Funkodrom
05-03-2002, 09:51:46
Never played it. :D

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-03-2002, 21:02:51
Originally posted by Darkstar
Imran, pardon yourself, but... Will's last thing was The Sims. Definately a serious wonder of gaming. You'd have to be pretty old as a gamer goes to remember another game like it. :D

The Sims - described by some as "Barbie dolls for adults" :)

And you don't have to be that old. Little Copmuter People is only 22 years old. Middle-aged is more like it :D

Darkstar
05-03-2002, 23:21:47
Well, Activision had already announced they were doing a Golf Tycoon game before Sid 'released' to the public he was doing one. And theirs has been on the market for some time. They are up to GT2 already.

And 22 years is a long time in computer game terms. That's longer then many computer gamers have been alive. :D

Sean
05-03-2002, 23:37:10
:nervous:.

Sirius Black
06-03-2002, 06:53:40
Imran, pardon yourself, but... Will's last thing was The Sims.

Which was a steaming bowl of crap.

Darkstar
06-03-2002, 07:09:09
No, that was Civ3. ;)

Seriously, if The Sims is not to your taste, that's fine. But the Software *Toy* itself is an incredible thing. And as a *toy*, the only thing that comes close to it is, not surprisingly, the SimCity series.

The Civ series, on the other hand... they really aren't anything special. Despite my fondness for Civ 1. It might seem original to you, but just as 'The Sims' can be said to have predecessors, so can Civ. And the truth is, they knew they were copying/plagerizing other people's games, and they admit it. Unlike Willy boy. who was after a landscaping/interior design game, and just got too fascinated with playing with the people. And realized what direction he should go.

Sometimes, good ideas get found again like that. Look at Castles. They had originally tossed in a couple of very minor plots into it, to give the players something to do during those boring times, and in the end, the true star of the game was those plots and stories.

Corwin
06-03-2002, 17:30:01
Ah. . . Castles. What a great series. Many fond memories.

(Except for that pesky bastard who ekpt on begging you for gold to find Prester John. It led me to actually yell at the computer, "GO AWAY YOU *******!!")