PDA

View Full Version : LWP6- Post Part 1 reviews here

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2004, 17:12:39
With Sean AWOL, I suggest that the easiest way to get this back on track is to post your Part 1 reviews here, then we'll attempt to do a proper go at Part 2. Once we have a few people's reviews submitted, we can do another thread for track submitter's comments.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2004, 17:13:22
1- Check out the guitar intro. When I first learned to do hammer-ons I used to play stuff like that over and over again, until my flatmates started throwing things at me. This is an OK track- I'm not about to rush out and buy it, but it's agreeable enough. Perhaps if it didn't play to the galleries so much I might like it better.

2- First "I'm buying it" track of the compilation. A great track- driving girly punk, that reminds me slightly of Throwing Muses in spirit. I've played this loads of times and there's not a weak moment on it. Good guitar work, good voice, top track.

3- OK. This was mildly amusing on the first hearing, but it got dull very quickly. By the third spin I hated it, and now I think it's complete shit. It's a regular sacrifice to the gods of the "FF" button.

4- Ugh. I suspect this is Ben Folds, or some other bastard son of Dean Friedman. The easily-impressed might describe the lyrics as "clever", but I wouldn't. Meanwhile everything else on this track is pure MOR. It's one drug reference and one use of the word "fucking" away from being a Leo Sayer song.

5- This reminds me of Pavement (my experience of Pavement is limited to just a few spins of "Slanted and Enhanted"). The music is good, but I don't like the vocals much, because that affected tunelessness is something guaranteed to piss me off. I actually like the track, but I wish it had a different singer.

6- Does this stand up to feminist analysis? I really don't like this track much- too crass and thuggish for my tastes. The production is great, but I think the rap is nothing special from a technical point of view, and fairly unpleasant from an artistic viewpoint. KG likes stuff like this- one of his, perhaps? Really not my scene at all.

7- I hope that this is a Scabrous track, because if it isn't we've got another lover of glitzy cheese to deal with. Was this a Eurovision Song Contest entry? From Austria, or Portugal? There's far too much going on here- it's over-arranged and over-produced. Stripping out at least half of the elements o display would improve it no end.

BigGameHunter
25-02-2004, 17:50:27
1) Great guitar and bass intro--builds nicely. I happen to know this is "One Big Holiday" by My Morning Jacket, as I bought it based on a CG recommendation. At last the Pacific Northwest/Southern Alternative sound is gaining acceptance across the pond! This is the kind of music my friends have been loving for a few years now--bands like Wilco, Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, et. al. I like this a lot and am very impressed with the sound. Love the album.

2) Aren't these girls from my area? If it is Sleater-Kinney then I think so. They've made quite a following for themselves here, that's for sure. Unfortunately I've never been a huge fan of chick rock. Somehow the anger is just not as convincing in the higher ranges. That sounds really stupid doesn't it? But musically, this is a really tight, well done song. I'd be willing to try more, but I definitely lean toward more melodic female voices. Still, pretty strong stuff.

3) OK...this is pretty juvenile. I don't really get the point...but I like the backbeat and the Mooginess.
Someone needs their mouth washed out with soap! Naughty, naughty! It looks pretty cool on the Windows Media Player "Strawberryaid" setting.

4) This is Ben Folds Five or one of his incarnations I think. Very much in keeping with the kind of music I like. I enjoy his voice, mainly because it is just so unexpected. This guy is a pretty good writer and his words really go with his style. Plus, I've tended to feel pretty strongly about "piano men". I either hate them generally (Elton John, Billy Joel) or really like them (Tom Waits, Harry Connick Jr.). This reminds me of putting a towel under the door and taking a big bong hit in the dorms. Thanks for the memories.

5) This sounds like Pavement or Modest Mouse but it probably isn't. What is going on here? This is a very US Indie sounding compilation. Has there been a big movement toward this music lately? It seems like the last album was just cutesy alternacrap for cleverness' sake? You people are slipping. It's a bit droning at times, but the overall quality makes up for it. I don't know if I care for the other guy interjecting into the lyrics, but somehow it works.
Great song...5 in a row...wow.

6) Is this a monster movie tune? Wait...it's getting all rappy. Cypress Hill? It definitely sounds like Cypress HIill. I loved Temple of Boom, but some asshat pinched it. Well, if this isn't Cypress Hill, they definitely are influenced by them. Good shit. Nothing wrong with titty rubbing or its espousers. You just can't beat the brothers for putting mad, silly shit together verbally. My nipples got hard just listening to this--though one seems permanently exciteable after an ill advised piercing escapade back in my early 20's.

7) I don't care for music that I can't understand. Sounds like Japanish. Plus the horns are gay and fruity. It sounds like a Nissan commercial aired in Jakarta with horrible wa wa studio guitar thrown in. Maybe it's Italian underwear ad music? Who knows...doesn't do much for me, and I doubt I'd like it if I was fluent in whatever language it is. It kind of sounds like a foreign version of Hair or Godspell or some such religious feel good bullshit. The first bad song of the comp.

Eklektikos
25-02-2004, 17:53:09
Track 1: Nice sparkly intro with a great build up followed by a quite catchy driving section... and then disaster strikes as the whole thing dissolves into irritating soft-rock cheese with wantonly twiddly but boring soloing. Disappointing.

Track 2: Mine.

Track 3: On first listen I enjoyed this quite a bit, particularly given the contrast with the grrrly tendencies of the previous track. After hearing it a few more times however, I now find it unlistenably dull and repetitive. Novelty value: high, ability to sustain interest: low.

Track 4: Very familiar, but can't recall what the hell it is. Ben Folds Five perhaps? Anyway, this is an upbeat, clever-clever slice of pop that by all rights should annoy the hell out of me but somehow manages not to. Disposable but when all is said and done, quite enjoyable.

Track 5: I like this one as well, although it's not the most exciting of songs. Sounds a bit like something that could have turned up on the soundtrack to a Kevin Smith film. Should I be worried that that doesn't seem like a bad thing to me?

Track 6: Another rap track, but somewhat better than the previous one. Lyrically it at best does little or nothing for me (and at worst irritates me), but the rhythm of the vocals meshes well with the really rather sinister backing loop, making the overall song quite listenable.

Track 7: This song is really, really fun. I have no idea what the hell they're singing about and it's all as kitsch as buggery; but the melody is great, the horn section makes me grin like a fool and even the slightly wanky guitar leads are used effectively to drive the song without being particularly gratuitous. Probably the most enjoyable track on the CD so far.

*End Is Forever*
25-02-2004, 17:54:42
Track One

Well, I nearly fell asleep during the intro Ė the first 45 seconds felt more like four minutes. Unfortunately, I then had the misfortune of listening all the way through, only to find more pointless, repetitive nonsense at the end. The song itself wasnít especially inspiring Ė dated tuneless mainstream rock Ė but any glimpse of inspiration was trampled on by the pretentious, pointless wank at the end.

Track Two

Compared with the first track, this really couldnít fail. Fortunately, it doesnít. Itís a cool, punk(ish) two-minute-forty romp, and itís actually rather good. Unfortunately, the vocalist grates after a couple of listens. Worth investigating.

Track Three

Itís rather odd, but it seems that for some strange reason, itís acceptable to be hideously sexist and homophobic providing that you put a rap beat in the background. Call me politically-correct (itíd be a first!), but I donít agree. Not that this track has any redeeming musical features either Ė the rap is poor, and thereís no melody (not even a stolen one) or musical innovation. I canít stand rap at the best of times, but this is an awful example of a dreadful genre. I truly, truly hope this is a parody, because if I never hear this track again itíll be far too soon.

Track Four

Itís harmless, bland easy-listening (with odd lyrics), but I canít help but like this. I wouldnít buy it, but itís pleasant enough background music. Itís rather helped, however, by coming straight after track three.

Track Five

This reminds me of Mollys Chambers by (I think) Kings of Leon, only with no energy or drive. Instantly forgettable.

Track Six

I hate this too, but at least it isnít track three.

Track Seven

Is this taken from a foreign-language soundtrack for Austin Powers? Itís certainly very ďshow musicĒ, and is nice and happy and bouncy, but itís not my bag at all.

protein
25-02-2004, 18:06:34
Track 1 - Hmm, I've heard this before somewhere... Oh god! That voice, it's wonderful, it's swamped in lovely lush reverb. mmm. nice. Is this My Morning Jacket? Because I like it. It's a kind of combination of country and sort of 70s driving rock (which sounds terrible on paper but works really well here). I imagine this being performed in an old hay barn in a sunny field of golden corn, which sways in the hot summer breeze. No rush, no work, just long and sunny summer days with your friends. I'm floating. Wheee! .... Sorry. This music is really good at transporting my mind elsewhere. This track gets a staggeringly high 4 protein points.
Guess: Gramercy Riffs

Track 2 - This sounds like one of these "cool" Nu Yoik punk type bands. I think I might have liked it when I was fourteen but now that I have been exposed to more music and it is 2004, I just can't get into it. Maybe if I saw this band in a small pub in Reading I would enjoy it. Would I actually want to own this and give it repeated plays? Nope. The track has a kind of false urgency to it. It would be so much better if the guitars were a little heavier and the singer didn't sound a little like Skin from Skunk Anansie. Drums are good, if a little rushed. If I were an A&R person wanting to make a buck I would sign them immediately and it's not too bad so I'll give it 2Ĺ protein points.
Guess: Sean

Track 3 - Riiight. This is moderately funny for a minute but is ultimately a massive pile of steaming dog crap. The best part of the song is the "gay gay gay gay gay gay" bit, which makes me smile (a small smile though, like when someone farts). It sounds like it was made by a drug addled and bitter drag queen. Oh god, will this track ever end? Stop please. PLEASE STOP! God that keyboard sound is sooo shit! Aaaargh! How can anyone want to listen to this? It is really, really fucking horrible. 1 protein point.
Guess: Scabby Birdseed

Track 4 - What if the Beatles were American and a bit shit? Well, here is your answer. I'm going to guess that this is Ben Folds Five? It has a light-hearted 60s feel but it doesn't sound genuine, I bet these guys are clean living jocks who date cheerleaders. The production is very clean but at the cost of sounding clinical and without soul. The singer's voice makes me imagine him swaying at a piano with raised eyebrows and a big grin from ear to ear. He deserves a slap. Very forgettable. 2 protein points.

Track 5 - Another Lou frikkin' Reed influenced New York band that sound like they were recorded in a garage. The vocals are a bit like a cross between a drunken brummie, Lou Reed and Bob Dylan. Yuk. Why does he have to sound like he's a moaning teenager asking a really long question? Gosh, the backing vocals are really fucking exciting aren't they? Ok, I'll stop beating about the bush - this sounds like a crap teenage school "garage" band that put an advert on their sixth form common room wall - "New musical band called "The Tablets". Destined for greatness. Let's break the mould and take on the world. Influenced by The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Velvet Underground, beer and dope. Let's hook up and smoke some weed together - only the coolest and skinniest androgynous fake heroin addicts need apply". What's so cool about this shoddy garage sound anyway? All my school bands used to rehearse and record in garages and then we all grew up and tried to make music that actually sounded good. Garages are rubbish to rehearse in anyway, cold, smelly and they have terrible acoustics. This track is boring, dreary, contrived student pish. Ĺ protein point.
Guess: KG

Track 6 - Nice intro. Ok, it's just kicked in and I approve. I like the sub bass compressed kick drum and the tight as a nun's chuff snare. My head is nodding involuntarily. Fat, tight and infectiously groovy production. Hmm. Iím never completely comfortable with these kinds of sexist and violent sounding lyrics though. I guess Iím just not from the ghetto. Iím also never quite sure if they are joking or they really take this sort of thing seriously. Am I (as a nice middle class English man) supposed to like this it as a sort of ironic joke or should I get myself one of those cars that bounce, carry a gun and treat women like shit? - Itís easier to listen to Dr Octagon because at least you know heís joking. Ė Well, this is not musical high art by any stretch of the imagination and lyrical content aside, I like the production. 3 protein points.
Guess: Debaser

Track 7 - This is a funky little number. For some reason I want to drive a computer car very fast through computerised streets. It's got really good tight instrumentation and it all works well together. I can't work out the language, not that I listen to lyrical content anyway. Hey, this could be the backing music for a Hungarian juggling and unicycling circus act. 3 protein points.
Guess: Eklektikos

Jon Miller part Deux
25-02-2004, 18:29:48
don 't know peoples' tastes much, so that will be guesses

I liked the Intro a lot, and it sounded pretty cool. Nice guitars.

Gramacery Riffs?

Also a cool song. I think I have to be in the right mood though (otherwise the voice can be a little off).

*EiF*?

I find this song funny, and like it. It get's old quick though.

Sean?

I picked this song. It is from Ben Folds Five, my new favorite band (They are broken up, but Ben Folds also rocks). I am really into Piano. And I think the lyrics and voice are great as well.

Jon Miller

I like this song also, but like most it is not enough for me to go out and buy a CD (like most songs on this compilation).

Debaser?

This didn't sound bad, but I don't think it is really my style. My freind really liked it though. Good voice and skillful lyrics but I am a big fan of instrumentation.

Birdseed?

I like this song although I don't understand it. It seems fairly catchy, and I like the voice (and the roll of the lyrics although I don't understand them). Of the first 7 I would say that this is my favorite (besides the one I picked).

I wish I remembered who came from where, it might be a clue. maybe Eklektikos?

Jon Miller

Jon Miller part Deux
25-02-2004, 18:30:32
man, that is a crap review

JOn Miller

BigGameHunter
25-02-2004, 18:59:23
Yes, and you've exposed your own pick...

Debaser
25-02-2004, 19:12:28
1. This is One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket. I went to see them a few weeks ago and they were awesome. This is one of my favourite tracks from what could be considered their breakthrough album, though I 'm quite partial to some of their earlier acoustic songs too. It's pointless me guessing submitters because...er....I know who submitted each track.

2. Again this is a really good song. American girlie rock bands are a particular favourite of mine, and Sleater-Kinney are an ok example, though I probably wouldn't buy this. I'd happily pay money to go and see them though.

3. I quite liked this the first time I heard it. By the third listen I found myself reaching for the fast-forward button. Nothing wrong with it especially, but not really my bag man.

4. I thought I hated Ben Fold's 5, but this song has come as a pleasant surprise. There's something about that whole piano-man style that I find little bit smarmy and patronising, but it's not too evident here. Good summery feel-good pop, though a whole album of this kind of stuff would probably grate a little.

5. My track.

6. This strikes me as an entirely unremarkable example of it's genre. There's nothing particularly wrong with it (ignoring the sentiment of some of the lyrics), but at the same time there's nothing to really hold my attention. As far as hip-hop goes I'm more of a fan of 80's style electro, or the laid back rhymes of Blackalicious/Prefuse 73/ Tribe Called Quest type outfits.

7. This is absolute class. I'm not sure I'd ever buy it, but the pure over-the-tops-ness of it marks it out a winner with me. As David St Hubbins once said, there's a fine line between clever and stupid, and this falls on just the right side of that line. Everything from the sheer kitchness, to the overblown Santana-style guitar solo suit the song just perfectly.

Debaser
25-02-2004, 19:13:22
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Yes, and you've exposed your own pick...

There's no way of avoiding that though in this format (without making up a fake review of your song).

Gramercy Riffs
25-02-2004, 19:37:27
Originally posted by Debaser
1. This is One Big Holiday by My Morning Jacket. I went to see them a few weeks ago and they were awesome.

Sounds good, wish I went.

JM^3
25-02-2004, 21:05:49
woohoo

I got one right

jon Miller

Scabrous Birdseed
25-02-2004, 21:30:46
I've lost mine. Can't be bothered to rewrite.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2004, 21:48:55
Balls. Do it again, bitch.

Jon Miller part Deux
25-02-2004, 22:03:39
I have your one for track 4

so we can get a number of your reviews

Jon Miller

BigGameHunter
26-02-2004, 00:03:16
I told you we should have had a seperate comments thread!

protein
26-02-2004, 00:30:58
What a fucking balls-up.

Mr. Bas
26-02-2004, 13:33:58
1. Pointlessly long and annoying intro. When the actual song starts, it turns into something fairly decent though. I have the feeling that I should know who this is, it sounds vaguely familiar but I can't really place it. The song gets rather repetitive in the end... No, I don't think I'd buy something like this.
Guess: JM^3

2. Ah, this is better. A nice punky track, although her voice gets on my nerves, especially during the chorus. Still, despite being quite catchy, this is as a whole not a very spectacular track.
Guess: Debaser

3. This really had me laughing out loud the first time I heard it, especially the first time he started with the ho! ho! ho! ho! chorus. Still, it's a bit of a novelty song that's quite funny during the first few listens, but when the novelty wears off, it gets boring and a bit irritating.
Guess: Gramercy Riffs

4. This is pleasant enough, and I don't mind listening to this at all, but it sounds, well, so middle-of-the-road. In that sense, it has the same vibe as both Guy's compilation and some of Sean's picks on the previous editions of LWP. Hmmm. I'm going for Sean on this track.

5. This is somewhat better, but to some extent, the same criticism still applies. Decent, but ultimately not very interesting. Or probably it wasn't a good idea to listen to Converge before this, they seem to make most songs here sound rather pedestrian and boring in comparison. I'll give these tracks another chance in the near future, but for now, stuff like this can be filed under 'harmless background music'.
Guess: Guy

6. Ooooh, this is really good. I'm usually not really into hiphop, but I quite like this. This is pharaohe monch, or however he spells it. The musical backing is great, and so is the rapping. Unlike most rappers, he doesn't sound like a complete retard, especially not when you pay some attention to the verses. I should definitely listen to more.
Guess: King Ghidra

7. Our furry finn participant must be responsible for this. It sounds very happy, but although I recognize the language, I can't really make sense of the lyrics. Except for the fact that they're singing a string of numbers somewhere during the song, I guess it's a telephone number or something. The song itself sounds very seventies and very upbeat, but it's not terribly interesting I'm afraid. But at least it's not humppa.
Guess: Stefu

Funkodrom
26-02-2004, 14:42:57
I also don't have my reviews anymore. I'll do some quick ones now. I liked all the tracks on this CD when I first listened to it but a lot of them I've grown out of liking.

1. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess My Morning Jacket for this. :lol: It's ok. I don't really see why they get the amazing tag that's been bandied around about them though. I'm not a fan of stuff like this. I find it dull. *shrug* Liked it when I first heard it but now I normally skip it after about 2 mins.

2. I can't remember what I said about this one. Skip.

3. Hillarious the first time I heard it. Mildly funny the second time. Boring now. The kind of thing you might put on for 30 seconds when stoned at a party thinking it was funny then take off when you realised everyone just thought you were a twat.

4. This is my favourite track on the double CD by far. I even googled to find out what it was and was a bit shocked to find it was Ben Folds Five. Oh well, I don't care. I love it despite all the obvious negative points. It's just so catchy. I often just listen to this song over and over on repeat. I even sent it to a girl and she loved it too.

5. ARGH!!! Normally this song is what makes me rewind back to Ben Folds Five. I have no idea why anyone would like this it's so morose. These toss garage rock bands make me appreciate The Strokes a lot more. Ask me to hum this a second after I finish listening to it and I couldn't. Rubbish.

6. Liked this at first but I've gone off it. It's quite an unremarkable song in it's genre really. Then again, anything sounds great after track 5.

7. This is fantastic. Sounds like it could be off one of the In Flight Entertainment CDs. Really good fun. Foriegners are nuts.

I reckon I've totally contradicted my initial reviews of at least 4 of these songs but my opinion's changed after repeated listens. I still love the Ben Folds Five track though.

Jon Miller part Deux
26-02-2004, 15:31:04
Re: LWP 6 part 1 finally
I like a lot of Ben Folds songs, I picked this one by a fairly random process (but it is one of 16 or so songs I really like)

I am glad that some liked it, and figured some would not be that impressed

I like the drums in it, I also have many songs played with just the piano and while I like it, it is definitely fairly different in feel

I guess I will see how other people respond on these things and know what more to say next time

Jon Miller

Jon Miller part Deux
26-02-2004, 15:31:27
LWP 6 part 1 finally
Sean
The only matter for debate with this song is which is the most irritating component. The `hey, we're chilled-out kids' lyrics? The doooooo-doooooo bits? The unnecessary drumming? The piano--which Iain doubtless thinks is an inspired choice, because, you know, no-one's ever used a piano in a whiny-sounding pop song before? The sterile production? Or perhaps the knowledge that someone, somewhere, probably looks up to these guys?

BigGameHunter
This is Ben Folds Five or one of his incarnations I think. Very much in keeping with the kind of music I like. I enjoy his voice, mainly because it is just so unexpected. This guy is a pretty good writer and his words really go with his style. Plus, I've tended to feel pretty strongly about "piano men". I either hate them generally (Elton John, Billy Joel) or really like them (Tom Waits, Harry Connick Jr.). This reminds me of putting a towel under the door and taking a big bong hit in the dorms. Thanks for the memories.

*End Is Forever*
Itís harmless, bland easy-listening (with odd lyrics), but I canít help but like this. I wouldnít buy it, but itís pleasant enough background music. Itís rather helped, however, by coming straight after track three.

Funkodrom
I didn't really like this initially but it's now my favourite song on the entire double CD. Sometimes I load up the LWP playlist just to listen to this song. This is just such a brilliant catchy tune. I have to admit that for the first few listens I didn't even realise there wasn't a guitar. The song sounds like there is one and I think I just assumed it was there. Anyway I like this song so much I went and looked up who it is, Ben Folds Five. Well there you go.

Gramercy Riffs
Sounds like Ben Folds. Pretty light and inoffensive but enjoyable

Lazarus and the Gimp
Ugh. I suspect this is Ben Folds, or some other bastard son of Dean Friedman. The easily-impressed might describe the lyrics as "clever", but I wouldn't. Meanwhile everything else on this track is pure MOR. It's one drug reference and one use of the word "fucking" away from being a Leo Sayer song.

Mr. Bas
This is pleasant enough, and I don't mind listening to this at all, but it sounds, well, so middle-of-the-road. In that sense, it has the same vibe as both Guy's compilation and some of Sean's picks on the previous editions of LWP. Hmmm. I'm going for Sean on this track.
Guess: Sean.

protein
What if the Beatles were American and a bit shit? Well, here is your answer. I'm going to guess that this is Ben Folds Five? It has a light-hearted 60s feel but it doesn't sound genuine, I bet these guys are clean living jocks who date cheerleaders. The production is very clean but at the cost of sounding clinical and without soul. The singer's voice makes me imagine him swaying at a piano with raised eyebrows and a big grin from ear to ear. He deserves a slap. Very forgettable. 2 protein points.
Guess: Sean.

Scabrous Birdseed
Quite simply the most brilliant changeover in the history of LWPs, just when "Yo Relatives" has got really mechanical and tedious the intro flowers in, full of light-heated organic pop sensibility. Pity the rest of the song is the ever-mediocre genre of engagement-free 90s ameripop, albeit a surprisingly bearable example.
Guess: *End Is Forever*.

Stefu X
Ben Folds Five's "Battle of Who Could Care Less". I like Ben Folds Five, but this track's never been one of my exact favorites. It's not a bad track, but the lyrics of this one have never struck me as particularily innovative or clever. And way to gratuitously sneak that 'fucking' there, Benji. Really rockin' the suburbs there.

BigGameHunter
26-02-2004, 16:17:42
I am hereby convinced that Europe is the most cynical place on Earth.

Stefu X
26-02-2004, 16:35:42
1. For some time, I couldn't decide whether the amount of sheer indie pretentiousness was too much or *just right*. The answer I'm currently leaning at is *just right*. I might be interested in hearing more of this band.

2. It's Sleater-Kinney's "Dig Me Out". All-around good song, even if I haven't been the world's greatest Sleater-Kinney fan. Hm, maybe I should sample them again.

3. It's not as bad as a novelty rap track consisting of simpleminded insults against my entire family could be. That doesn't mean it's very good, though. But it's tolerable, sort of. At least on the first listen. It's just that it reminds me of all the "FUNNAY!!11!1" crap Finnish teenagers are wont to spread through the musky corners of Internet.

4. Ben Folds Five's "Battle of Who Could Care Less". I like Ben Folds Five, but this track's never been one of my exact favorites. It's not a bad track, but the lyrics of this one have never struck me as particularily innovative or clever. And way to gratuitously sneak that 'fucking' there, Benji. Really rockin' the suburbs there.

5. I could like this, but the vocal's far too bored and there's just a wee bit of what sounds like designer sloppiness.

6. Yawn. Merely showcases why I've never been able to get into rap music. Yes, I know I'm supposed to listen without prejudice, but Lord knows I tried.

7. My track.