PDA

View Full Version : Dave Grohl

PosterBoy
24-02-2004, 22:10:06
A Poll about Grohl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funkodrom
24-02-2004, 22:22:25
He's great.

Nicest guy in Rock. Took his mum to the Kerrang awards.

Nills Lagerbaak
25-02-2004, 09:21:11
Don't know him, but what I see from his videos he looks like a bit of a pratt (oh and he loved himself at Reading festival).

Funkodrom
25-02-2004, 09:38:43
You're weird.

Gramercy Riffs
25-02-2004, 10:15:24
It's hard to dislike him.

I guess the only thing you could level at him is that he's too nice.

Debaser
25-02-2004, 10:29:21
That's like failing a driving test for overcautiousness though. A bit unfair really.

Gramercy Riffs
25-02-2004, 13:27:02
I agree.

If you can make it through life with your only fault being that you are too nice, you've not done badly.

protein
25-02-2004, 13:52:27
Nills! You were moshing like a bastard to the Foofighters at Reading Festival.

What's not to like about the most talented and influential (post 1993) musician in the rock genre?

He made the sound of Nirvana and then the Foofighters and then subsiquently practically all non-metal rock bands around today. My drumming is mainly based on the Grohl style, it's the same for most rock drummers of our generation.

Plus he's funny, hard working, nice, handsome and I wish I was him.

Eklektikos
25-02-2004, 14:05:22
He seems like a nice enough guy, but I do find a lot of his music pretty boring.

*End Is Forever*
25-02-2004, 16:52:13
I've only seen him live once, and he was a huge fucking disappointment at Leeds in 2002.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2004, 17:16:57
Originally posted by protein

He made the sound of Nirvana

Correction. He made the percussion sounds of mid-to-late period Nirvana.

protein
25-02-2004, 18:04:26
You think a drummer just plays the beat on the command of the guitarist? Duh!

Grohl made the rhythm and feel of Nirvana. He's the guy who made millions of people worldwide stop what they were doing and want to jump around like loons. He was the one with the innovative and exciting sound.

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2004, 18:19:41
You think a drummer just plays the beat on the command of the guitarist? Duh!

I am a drummer.

Millions of people got into Nirvana because "Smells like teen spirit" was a tremendous song. The drumming was pretty much incidental. "Bleach" was my favourite Nirvana album, and that was done before Grohl joined. So was "Sliver".

Vincent
25-02-2004, 18:48:49
I'm indifferent, but I think the sentence "I wish I was Dave" is very cut in some way

protein
25-02-2004, 19:53:24
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I am a drummer.

"Smells like teen spirit" The drumming was pretty much incidental.

Does not compute. Error. Error. Drummer finds amazing rhythm track incedental even though it was the loudest drum track ever mixed at that point. Also mixed by a drummer. Error. Brilliant rhythm which made you want to jump up and down. Error. The rhythm that spurned a zillion bands. Error. Error. Meltdown.

BLEEP.

BLEEP.

BLEEP.

:/C

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2004, 20:22:34
[QUOTE]Originally posted by protein
Does not compute. Error. Error. Drummer finds amazing rhythm track incedental even though it was the loudest drum track ever mixed at that point. Also mixed by a drummer. Error. Brilliant rhythm which made you want to jump up and down. Error. The rhythm that spurned a zillion bands. Error. Error. Meltdown.

Don't get me wrong- I think Dave Grohl is a really good drummer. However I'd heard Jaki Liebezeit years earlier, and Jaki is a better drummer. The drumming in "Smells like.." doesn't storm the track like Liebezeit's drumming in "Yoo Doo Rite".

Mixing? So Butch Vig was a drummer and he cranked up the volume on the drum track. How much credit should go to Grohl because of that? "Smells like...." would still be a great track had Chad Channing been drumming on it.

protein
25-02-2004, 20:51:08
BLEEEP.

It's all a matter of taste whether you like him or not but you can't disagree that he is influential.

Eklektikos
25-02-2004, 22:35:49
Dale Crover was the best drummer ever to play for Nirvana :cute:

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-02-2004, 18:28:29
I agree. He's better than Grohl, and Grohl agrees on that point.

protein
26-02-2004, 19:20:15
Now you're just winding me up you bastards. Gah! In all my years I never heard such nonsense. :rolleyes:

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-02-2004, 20:04:26
No. S'true. Dave Grohl considers Dale Crover to be the best rock drummer in the world.

paiktis22
28-02-2004, 08:20:07
After Cobain died he abandoned his drums and came to the front so people could look at him and he could go on play grudge and people would think that Nirvana kept going. On one hand maybe he didn't have a choice so that's respectable in the other hand it seemed a bit as prearranged since it was what a company would love to have done. I classify him as hamburger music, for the most part.

protein
28-02-2004, 11:32:44
I am a musician that plays guitar, bass, drums, vocals, programs, records etc. When Sonic Undermind split up or Funkodrom blows his face off with a shotgun you think it would be prearranged for me to move onto another band? Eh? Does it mean that I should only ever be the drummer in Sonic Undermind and I should stop making all other music?

Debaser
28-02-2004, 12:13:32
Originally posted by paiktis22
After Cobain died he abandoned his drums and came to the front so people could look at him and he could go on play grudge and people would think that Nirvana kept going. On one hand maybe he didn't have a choice so that's respectable in the other hand it seemed a bit as prearranged since it was what a company would love to have done. I classify him as hamburger music, for the most part.

"Abandoned" as in played drums on the first Foo's album (as well as all the other instruments), the newest Queens of the StoneAge album, the Toni Iommi album, some tracks on the newest Cat Power album, all tracks on his Probot album, probably other stuff too. Jeez, what a commercial puppet.

paiktis22
28-02-2004, 12:30:31
But for his own band he made sure to stay close to the front of the stage so people could look at him and go la la la nirvana?

Debaser
28-02-2004, 12:36:41
You don't think he deserves to be in that postition? He writes, sings and plays guitar all the songs.

The Foo Fighters have lots of fans in their own right (many of them little kids too young to remember Nirvana properly). You don't think your patronising both them and Dave Grohl by dismissing him purely as some kind of nostalgia act?

paiktis22
28-02-2004, 12:38:25
I am a musician that plays guitar, bass, drums, vocals, programs, records etc. When Sonic Undermind split up or Funkodrom blows his face off with a shotgun you think it would be prearranged for me to move onto another band? Eh? Does it mean that I should only ever be the drummer in Sonic Undermind and I should stop making all other music?

Novocelic (I think he's called) kept going too but I don't think he's dropped his pants so much as Grohl did in keeping it well within the "norm" of grudge. IMHO Grohl simply did what every company's wet dream would be. IF it was good I'd have no problem with it but to me it just sounds like rehassed low grade bad photocopy of nirvana's "vibes". Like a McCartney that wanted to be Lenon but couldn't. The bad thing is that Grohl doesn't even seem mind about that as long as people swallow it. Anyway that's what his music sounds to me.

paiktis22
28-02-2004, 12:40:20
Originally posted by Debaser
You don't think he deserves to be in that postition? He writes, sings and plays guitar all the songs.

The Foo Fighters have lots of fans in their own right (many of them little kids too young to remember Nirvana properly). You don't think your patronising both them and Dave Grohl by dismissing him purely as some kind of nostalgia act?

Possibly. Maybe the only explanation to my opinion is that I'm just an old fart. Still don't have anything particularly good to say about the Foo Fighters. They just seem lower quality photocopies to me.

zmama
28-02-2004, 12:54:45
Why yes, I'd say you were being an old fart! ;)
Do I think Dave Grohl is the best best best drummer ever? No, but I enjoy his music and think he is one of the nicest guys in rock.
And he doesn't take himself all that seriously...a big plus in my book.

Lazarus and the Gimp
28-02-2004, 13:50:46
Originally posted by paiktis22
Possibly. Maybe the only explanation to my opinion is that I'm just an old fart. Still don't have anything particularly good to say about the Foo Fighters. They just seem lower quality photocopies to me.

But Foo Fighters have never sounded anything like Nirvana. They're playing a different game. Are you sure the photocopy is of the same picture?

Scabrous Birdseed
28-02-2004, 14:54:37
It's difficult to tell... It's all so murky.