PDA

View Full Version : If I were going to buy a game in 4 hours, what should I buy?

QtFLW@Work
20-02-2004, 21:28:50
Given than I'm a strategy type gamer or RPGer and don't much like first person shooters, but also don't mind the odd space sim, what should I think about getting that's any good? And no MMO games, since I'm on crappy dialup.

QtFLW@Work
21-02-2004, 00:00:13
Well, with only 1 hour to go, I'm not sure any of your suggestions are helping much... :)

Nav
21-02-2004, 01:02:40
X2. damn sorry just too late. :D

QtFLW@Work
23-02-2004, 16:29:48
I looked for it, but they didn't have it on the shelves.

Then, as I was leaving (after having made my purchases) I thought to look up, and lo, there on a shelf about 12 feet up off the floor, were two X2 boxes. D'oh! Why they weren't on the regular shelf space I don't know.

I ended up buying a bargain bin copy of Rise of Nations, an extremem bargain bin copyof Baldur's Gate (with Swords of the Coast expansion), and then broke down and bouht Spellforce new, since I wanted something I could play against LoC, given that it's described as a cross between Diablo and Age of Kings, both games LoC plays. I might even write a review of it!

Darkstar
23-03-2004, 20:37:59
I saw Spellforce on the shelves last time I went looking for games. But I didn't pick it up. Hadn't heard anything about it from anyone "reliable". So what's the word, Qaj?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
26-03-2004, 05:27:04
The word is: It's difficult to say. It's been described as AoK/Diablo, but it's not. The RTS side isn't as polished as AoK, and it's not very Diablo-like at all, more or a regular D&D romp but not as sophisticated as, say, Plasescape: Torment, or the BG series or even Fallout.

Taken on it's own, it's alternately interesting, frustrating, and annoying.

From the beginning, the tutorial is really irritating. Once you get past that into the actual game, the story is interesting but no great shakes. Depending on the skills of your avatar you initially choose, it can be HARD (even on low difficulty - my first avatar specialized in mind magic, which bites BTW, I got to a point where I started over) or piss easy (my next one was a fighter, and did much better, sometimes completing an entire map single-handed when you were supposed to gather resources, build and army and destroy your enemies :) ).

The game starts out slow: you're chasing a powerful spellcaster across multiple islands of a world whose continents were destroyed by a huge magical disaster. You find out that there's a big bad guy trying to do something nasty, and you run a load of errands for other people. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of quests the character does for him or herself.

The game is originally in German, so some of the dialog is odd, having been poorly translated. I hope the voice acting in the German version was better, in the English version it lacks enthusiasm sometimes, others it lacks good voice acting, and this detracts a little from the game. But mostly it's not too difficult to follow, and is mildly engaging.

The interface for the RTS buildng and leading-of-army part is clunky. The hotkeys aren't "industry standard" in places which makes control a little awkward. Targetting enemies is harder than it should be. You cannot pause the game and give orders. You can't alter the time flow of the game, which is REALLY tedious when you have to walk your avatar from one side of the map to the other, or you're waiting for a certain level of resources to research or build something. Also, you can't skip or speed up cut scenes, so if you've played it once or twice, you still have to endure. Bleah.

The music is good, and the sounds effects are par for the course. I'm running v1.10 and I've had two crashes to desktop, and one interface glitch. The scenery gfx are quite nice, and the shadows are awesome, if a little glitchy in places. I haven't been able to ramp up all the effects to max with my PC, it slows to 5fps or worse, so to get full use you'd need a top of the line PC. However, the detail level I'm running now is still fairly good, and doesn't look cut down.

In summary, it's a valiant attempt at a hero-based RTS system. I'm not sure there's going to be a huge genre based around this, it seems a bit narrowly focused.

Also, I normally don't return the games I buy to the store, since I'm quite picky about what I buy which leads to few duds in my collection. But I'm leaning towards trading it back to EB to get some store credits towards something that would have better replay value, since I'm not anticipating that this will get too many replays.

And the final word: so far, I'm about 75% of the way through the game, and I haven't seen the almost naked chick on the box in the game anywhere. It would seem she has nothing to do with the game at all, and it merely marketing incentive for 12-35 year old guys to buy the game. No, that's not why I bought it :) But if you're hoping for a game full of scantily clad chicks, you'll be disapppointed :D

I'd give it a 7.5 or 8 out of ten. Depending on how it ends, that might go up or down. But I'm not anticipating a great ending, so it might end up a 7. Assume 7, to be on the safe side.

Darkstar
26-03-2004, 20:06:22
Thanks!

A bit more playing, another paragraph or two, and a few screenshots, and that would be a decent review for the main web pages of CG, wouldn't it?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-03-2004, 03:22:47
Perhaps. I had plans on writing one, but I'll wait until I finish it or I give up on it :)

Sir Penguin
27-03-2004, 03:50:32
If you had 4 hours to buy a game, you'd probably be able to decide on one yourself. You'd even be able to draw up a decision tree or something.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-03-2004, 22:27:14
Well, sure, if I was in the store for four hours. And they'd loaned me paper and pencil.

Sir Penguin
27-03-2004, 22:38:01
I wouldn't buy from a store that didn't loan its customers some paper and a pencil.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-03-2004, 22:51:22
Incidentally, how do you loan a piece of paper? Do they need to loan you an eraser too, so when you give it all back it's the same way you found it?

Sir Penguin
28-03-2004, 03:08:46
Own goal. They don't loan you a piece of paper, they loan you paper. You give it back, with the understanding that you've probably stolen some.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
28-03-2004, 03:12:26
Must be a big decision tree then.

Shining1
28-03-2004, 13:03:07
Lots of trees went into making it...:cute:

Darkstar
29-03-2004, 07:02:28
Should have used a PPC or Tablet PC then... all the "digital" paper he would need.

MDA
29-03-2004, 23:56:34
Try blowing your nose on a Tablet PC.

BigGameHunter
30-03-2004, 00:39:17
Next game you buy should be Combat Mission, preferably the venerable yet timeless first edition, then possibly (though I don't like it as much as the first) Barbarossa to Berlin and finally the newly popular Afrika Corps.
BEST...MILITARY...GAME...EVER!!!!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-04-2004, 02:41:19
Originally posted by Darkstar
Thanks!

A bit more playing, another paragraph or two, and a few screenshots, and that would be a decent review for the main web pages of CG, wouldn't it?

Well, I finished the thing, and a week or two ago wrote a full review which I'm waiting for Nav to make active on the front page.

I am now totally against this game. Pester Nav to get it active if you want to know why :)

Darkstar
15-04-2004, 05:35:09
Originally posted by MDA
Try blowing your nose on a Tablet PC.

Never done that, but I've sneezed a few times on one.