PDA

View Full Version : Extreme aural pollution

Lazarus and the Gimp
23-02-2002, 20:08:50
I'm considering doing another "Pollute your ears"-type CD, though this time I'm going to go for more extreme music- the sort of thing that most sane people would consider unlistenable. If anyone would care to sample some of the stranger outposts of my musical tastes, just let me know.

Snapcase
23-02-2002, 20:29:55
Oooh, Oooh, Me!

Vincent Fandango
23-02-2002, 21:39:27
check this (http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/164/loud_medicineradio_planet_x.html)

Foetus
24-02-2002, 22:44:25
Aye, Alex, I'm up for that.

I dug out Stratagien Gegen Architecturen by Einstuerzende Neubauten the other day and bathed in its raw industrial noise and German menace. Not listened to that particular record for many years. It made a nice change, if that's an appropriate aphorism.

Funkodrom
25-02-2002, 09:25:11
Definitely be up for that. Especially having discovered the... interesting... Japanische Kampfhörspiele (http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/7/japanische_kampfhoumlrspiele.html) last week. Great name.

Vincent Fandango
25-02-2002, 12:32:20
"laß den, der ist nett!" Nice song Title, lol

Funkodrom
25-02-2002, 12:55:12
What does it mean? The band name means something like Japanese Combat Radio Plays?

Lazarus and the Gimp
25-02-2002, 20:35:32
Whoa, bugger. This will be a challenge. "Try to find a CD's worth of foul and repellant noise that PiGFoetus doesn't already have".

Vincent Fandango
25-02-2002, 20:44:56
Kampfspiele means something like "martial arts", Hörspiele means "radio plays".

"Laß den, der ist nett" is like "leave him alone, he's OK"

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-03-2002, 20:03:32
Right- I'll start sorting out the new CD once my latest order gets in from Amazon. I've picked up a couple of Scorn and Kronos Quartet albums that may feature on it.

Any other takers- give me a shout.

The Bursar
03-03-2002, 22:30:10
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

The last CD was great, I did post some (rubbish) comments on the FFZ. It'd be very interesting to hear some of the wierder stuff.

Sanity not an object here...

BigGameHunter
13-03-2002, 02:08:31
God...I don't know...oh, what the hell.

Hey, Laz...I didn't have a return addy on my package, so how am I to return the favor?
(I promise: no severed doll heads or fecal material will be sent.)

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-03-2002, 20:13:19
I've no idea. Who the hell are you anyway?

BigGameHunter
16-03-2002, 11:19:23
I thought it was fairly obvious.

Funkodrom
18-03-2002, 15:32:55
I don't know who you are... or if I do I've forgotten.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-03-2002, 21:09:33
Vanessa Redgrave?

Funkodrom
18-03-2002, 21:16:28
Sister of Steven?

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-03-2002, 20:29:22
Right- track listing is finalised. Details to follow shortly.

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-03-2002, 21:05:41
Nurse with Wound- "Pleasant banjo intro with irritating squeak"
Nurse with Wound- "Window of possible organic development"

Nurse with Wound is Steven Stapleton, a multi-instrumentalist dedicated to musical Dadaism. He's done about 20 albums and they're all staggeringly odd- veering from disturbing and eerie ambient, to hilarious musical skits. Stapleton has appeared with loads of other left-field bands, from Jim "Foetus" Thirlwell to Stereolab.

Throbbing Gristle- "Hamburger lady"

Possibly the most disturbing song ever recorded. Throbbing Gristle were the first industrial band- and the ex-members went on to found Psychic TV, Coil and Chris and Cosey.

Thomas Koner- "Permafrost"

Hardcore isolationist. This is music made from the dying traces of sound left from other instruments. It cold, but rather beautiful.

Flying Saucer Attack- "Rainstorm Blues"

Bristolian band, and one of the most adventurous "guitar bands" I know. The guy behind them used to work in Revolver Records in Bristol.

Techno Animal- "Cruise Mode 101"

When Grindcore meets rap. To describe them as "intense" would be an understatement- it's just the ticket to get your arse out of the door on a Monday morning. Formed of members of Godflesh and Ice, and utterly monstrous.

Can- "Mother Sky"

Shock! It's a real song. It's even got a guitar solo, and what a brilliant one too. Can were the greatest of the "Krautrock" bands of the late 60's and early 70's. It was the German equivalent of prog rock, but instead of being bloated and pretentious it's naggingly insistant linear rock music.
Stretchheads- "Afganastan Bananastan"

I can't tell you much about these, except that they're clearly barking mad.

Current 93- "Sucking up souls"
Current 93- "Broken birds fly"

With Nurse with Wound and Coil, Current 93 make up the holy trinity of British underground cult bands. Their music is often described as "Apocalyptic folk"- it's pseudo-religious and a bit scary. Most people hate David Tibet's voice (it's mannered, and sounds a bit evil), but if you can get past that you'll find a staggering lyricist. "Sucking up souls" is a soundscape, while "Broken birds fly" was the first C93 track I heard. I couldn't believe anyone could sound quite so deranged.

The hair and skin trading company- "Kinetic"

Head-rock band formed by ex-members of Loop. They were amazing live- really crushing krautrock-influenced heavy linear rock

Coil- "The anal staircase"

One of Coil's more accessible songs, but it still sounds a bit brain-damaged and nasty.

Mark Hollis- "A life (1895-1915)

The greatest career shift ever? Mark Hollis fronted pretty-boy pop band Talk Talk. However, by the late 80's Talk Talk suddenly went seriously left-field and started making quiet, avant-garde songs with lots of woodwind. This is in a similiar vein, from Hollis's first solo album.

Recoil- "Black box"

OK- Alan Wilder used to be in Depeche Mode but we won't hold that against them. I heard this track on September 11th, and the experience was chilling.

Skinny Puppy- "Nature's revenge"

In the 80's industrial music was the most adventurous and experimental genre going. Then gits like Trent Reznor cleaned it up and made it accessible, conservative and very dull. Thud, thud, thud, sampled guitar rif, thud, thud, alienation, thud, thud, yawn, puke retch.
Skinny Puppy were astonishing. I have never heard any band sound quite so disgusted with absolutely eveything. They were far more adventurous than today's industrial bands, and this track's a decent sampler. Ogre's voice still sounds barely human, but it's not trickery. He really does sing like that.

I'll be burning the CD's over the next few days and will make every effort to get them all out within a week.

Funkodrom
20-03-2002, 10:00:23
Cool. :cool:

BigGameHunter
22-03-2002, 05:04:53
I'm Sneak you bastard!
And how can you have Skinny Puppy without that horrendously droll cover of Paul Young's "Love will tear us apart"?
That's a classic!!!!

So, if you slacken your intense paranoia and give me a return addy, I would be happy to make you an excellent and varied compilation...one song that will be on there for sure is Elvis Costello's "Tramp the dirt down" which reminds me of you for some reason.

Funkodrom
22-03-2002, 13:53:33
Hi Sneak! I remember now. :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-03-2002, 17:31:24
No problem.

Snapcase- I need an address off you. I could try guessing it, or addressing it to "Big hairy Swede, York", but that might prove a challenge for the Royal Mail.

Funkodrom
23-03-2002, 14:17:49
No, I think that'll get to him.

BigGameHunter
23-03-2002, 21:30:45
Why does everyone's avatar seem to be staring at me?

Funkodrom
24-03-2002, 19:47:42
Because your flies are undone.

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-03-2002, 17:55:59
Foetus, Mike, Snapcase and Bursar- your CD's hit the post tonight. Sneak- yours will follow when I've got more stamps.

BigGameHunter
26-03-2002, 18:16:53
Groovy, man...make sure you include your addy so I can get you back.
:)

Funkodrom
27-03-2002, 09:15:50
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Foetus, Mike, Snapcase and Bursar- your CD's hit the post tonight. Sneak- yours will follow when I've got more stamps.

Thanks! I'll let you know what I think.

Immortal Wombat
28-03-2002, 13:55:45
Thanks Laz!!

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Nurse with Wound- "Pleasant banjo intro with irritating squeak"
The name says it all, yet somehow this is pleasant to listen to, despite the sqeak. Is it meant to be only 45 seconds long?

Nurse with Wound- "Window of possible organic development"

Weird. I'm sure I could find a thousand people who would dispute the claim that this is actually music. Its very disjointed, but when I'm not directly listening to it, it flows quite nicely through the ears.

Throbbing Gristle- "Hamburger lady"

Really odd... Grinding and throbbing. Gristly perhaps.

Possibly the most disturbing song ever recorded.
I can believe that.
Thomas Koner- "Permafrost"

Aha, a song that doesn't make my pancreas attempt to throttle me to stop the sound waves reaching it. Its quite nice in a quiet, drifting kind of way.

Flying Saucer Attack- "Rainstorm Blues"

Brings to mind a landscape from a nuclear winter.

Techno Animal- "Cruise Mode 101"

Yes, an effective wake-up tune. Not bad actually, kind of like the Feeder remix of Mark B & Blade's The Unknown, but with a grindier guitar. I'm not usually too keen on rap, but the backing music makes it.

Can- "Mother Sky"

A real song, and a good one as well. Nagging and insistant is all very well, but these songs are so long... I guess I'm a product of my generation, pop punk-length 3 minute tracks are all I can take :lol:

Stretchheads- "Afganastan Bananastan"
Mad, but that is a brilliant track. Like Robert Rankin sped up and recorded. Oh, and short :)

Current 93- "Sucking up souls"
Brings Notre Dame cathedral into the home. :) A dozen frenchies having a whispered, yet intrusively echoed conversation over some choir music, and chanting monks.

Current 93- "Broken birds fly"
Um... yeah. I survived this track by going to put the washing on the line just after it started, and got back (to my surprise) with another minute left.
Remeniscent of some of those old vampire movies where the evil dude can't speak more than 30 words a minute, and where the background music is thrumming and repetative, and leading you towards the next line. Certainly disturbing, this one. I can't tell whether its because I haven't eaten for 18 hours, or because of the music, but my stomach is protesting in an unusual way...
I couldn't believe anyone could sound quite so deranged.

Wel put.

The hair and skin trading company- "Kinetic"

Once I recovered from what a truly bizarre name for a band that was, I found the music quite pleasant, if a little short. Linear rock is cool.

Coil- "The anal staircase"

anal staircase. Weird.
Mark Hollis- "A life (1895-1915)

A little bit empty, IMO, but its not gut-wrenching, so I've no problem with it. Quite pretty I guess, but it does take a while to build up.

Recoil- "Black box"

One of those songs that'll vary greatly depending on your own current mood I feel. I am feeling happy, so it just sounded quiet and dull. :)

Skinny Puppy- "Nature's revenge"
He really does sing like that.

:eek: Really?
Wierd. Sick puppy:bash:
-Scared?
-uh-huh :nervous:

------------------------------------------------------------

Well, thankyou very much Laz, that was an eclectic mix to say the least; some really wierd stuff in their, and some very enjoyable stuff too.
I'd make a CD and send it to you, but most of my music is so mainstream, you'll either have heard it, or will hate it, or both.

I'm glad I didn't eat before listening to that... But now I'm so hungry :beer:

Immortal Wombat
28-03-2002, 13:59:27
Aah crap, wrong login.

Foetus
31-03-2002, 17:09:56
Cheers Alex, got it fine.

Listened to about half of it. I'll continue with it shortly. Very moody in places, and you're quite right, Hamburger Lady is a profoundly eerie track.

I'm formulating an adequate response ... I'll have to track down some of the tracks I want to include on MP3, as I only have them on vinyl at present, so it might take some time ...

Snapcase
31-03-2002, 18:59:16
I'll post my reviews when I actually get to litsen to it. Leaving Sweden in three weeks' time...

Funkodrom
01-04-2002, 07:36:52
Got my CD just before I went to amsterdam. I listened to the first few tracks but I'll listen to it all soon.

Funkodrom
03-04-2002, 15:58:00
1. Nurse with Wound- "Pleasant banjo intro with irritating squeak"

Very pleasant. I quite liked the squeak. I like the way the banjo isn't really as pleasant as it first seems.

2. Nurse with Wound- "Window of possible organic development"

This is great, random robot squeaking and fart noises it's cleverly portrayed exactly what you'd get if you gave a few people microphones made them sound like robots and then got them to talk about anything they wanted. I love the way the beat comes in as gradual structure within the randomness.Then it evolves in a really cool Indian way. Kind of tails off from then on though. I like the crazy anarchic robot bit better than the development.

3. Throbbing Gristle- "Hamburger lady"

Yes. This is the most disturbing song I've ever heard. It's great. It sounds like hell.

4. Thomas Koner- "Permafrost"

This is kind of backgroundy and hummy. Nothing really happens... Makes me think it should be background music on Doctor Who, not sure why.

5. Flying Saucer Attack- "Rainstorm Blues"

This is quite chilled as well. Dark but strangely like a flock of really evil seagulls who, when combined into great flocks in the sky, can unleash psychic attacks of scary power on the people below them. Oh.. or maybe, looking at the title, like a Flying Saucer Attack during a rainstorm. That's probably just what they want you to think.

6. Techno Animal- "Cruise Mode 101"

This is good. Cool dark techno being rapped over. "Is it heaven or hell or Wales"? Is that really the line?

7. Can- "Mother Sky"

I don't really like / dislike this. It's OK, reminds me of the Doors.
8. Stretchheads- "Afganastan Bananastan"

This is absolutely brilliant. A song with which to break your drummer. My favourite so far.

9. Current 93- "Sucking up souls"

This is cool. No idea what's going on but it's good.

10. Current 93- "Broken birds fly"

This guy sounds exactly like a slightly harsher Nigel Tuffnel (lead guitar). I keep expecting him to say "Oh how they danced". I can't work out if he's taking the piss or not, I think he probably isn't. I dunno about the lyrics, as it goes on he gets more and more like a televangelist druidic preacher or one of those poets whos poems really aren't as good as they think they are.

11. The hair and skin trading company- "Kinetic"

I see the 'linear rock' connection, I like this a lot better than the Can song I think. It's a bit more relentless but also short so it stops before you get chance to be bored. That's a contradiction but I know what I mean.

12. Coil- "The anal staircase"

Messy. Good.

13. Mark Hollis- "A life (1895-1915)

Starts off with the mice from Bagpuss playing the organ? Very hard work this one. I got bored at 4 minutes and skipped it.

14. Recoil- "Black box"

It is pretty sombre. Sept 11 probably not the best time to listen to it!

15. Skinny Puppy- "Nature's revenge"

This is really good. Dirty, messy and raw. An excellent way of subverting those 80s synth tracks. Scared? Yes.

BigGameHunter
10-04-2002, 19:46:29
I fear I've gotten the shaft, old chap.
:(

Lazarus and the Gimp
10-04-2002, 21:11:10
Hey! I thought I'd forgotten something.

BigGameHunter
11-04-2002, 01:43:55
Oh, so now you're adding objectification to injury!
The nerve!!!!
:mad:

BigGameHunter
17-04-2002, 19:07:43
I'm extremely hurt that I've been left out of all the fun.
Must be Eurocentrism or something...
:cute:

Snapcase
21-04-2002, 09:55:34
1. Nurse with Wound- "Pleasant banjo intro with irritating squeak"

It's a nice squeak. But an irritating banjo intro.

2. Nurse with Wound- "Window of possible organic development"

Don't like it. Once it gets out of the effect-masturbatory phrase it's one standard cliché hook after another. Whether African Drums or Techno or Free Jazz or fucking Keltic Folk doesn't matter- it's all been done before.

3. Throbbing Gristle- "Hamburger lady"

I can't find anyone with a voice like Mike Skinner of The Streets even mildly disturbing, I 'm sorry. :D

4. Thomas Koner- "Permafrost"

Boring. Could serve as a 20-second intro to real music, I suppose. Mercifully short.

5. Flying Saucer Attack- "Rainstorm Blues"

Boring. Nice rain effect, though. I can't see how this would be classed as adventurous...

6. Techno Animal- "Cruise Mode 101"

Aargh... Volume Change Attack! Clear the bassiness, the excessive drumming and the added noise off and it would be a pretty nice set of beats.

7. Can- "Mother Sky"

I like this a lot. But then I have heard it before.

8. Stretchheads- "Afganastan Bananastan"

Wheee! I like this. Punky!

9. Current 93- "Sucking up souls"

Never liked Ambient stuff. Sorry.

10. Current 93- "Broken birds fly"

Not bad. I like original voices, I don't mind spoken wordishness. Don't like the lyrics, but that's okay. Decent music, too.

11. The hair and skin trading company- "Kinetic"

Er. I keep forgetting it's there. Is this a good or a bad sign? Relitsening to it it overstretches its one good hook too far.

12. Coil- "The anal staircase"

Ignoring the silly lyrics, this is possibly the best song on the album. Good, varied and layered hooks. Decent, interesting production. And enough energy to keep going. Nice.

13. Mark Hollis- "A life (1895-1915)"

Uneasy Litsening is one of my fav genres anyway, and a band that names itself after the coolest Garage song ever can't be that bad. No, but seriously, it's a very nice song. The other highlight of the album.

14. Recoil- "Black box"

This is so over-the-top it just made me laugh. :D "When we got closer, the pilot said there was something on the radar that he hadn't seen the day before (Oooooooooh!)" :lol:

15. Skinny Puppy- "Nature's revenge"

Not bad. I don't like shite attempts at "scary", but it's a cute little pop-song if you ignore the whispering goth dude.

(I love the way you do transitions. What program do you use?)

Funkodrom
22-04-2002, 08:30:46
A quick scan of that and it looks like you and I like completely the opposite songs from that CD. Down to both liking one of the Current 93 songs but not the same one. :D

Funkodrom
15-05-2003, 15:36:27
BUMP!

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-05-2003, 16:18:30
Ah, yes. There was some "challenging listening" on that. I'd love to stick "Hamburger lady" on a LWP collection.