PDA

View Full Version : Thief 3 website goes live.

MDA
12-02-2004, 18:37:06
Advertising a Spring 2004 release. That means late summer.

I'm wary of this one. Ion Storm has the additional burden of an Xbox port to deal with, and Ion Storm is no Looking Glass Studios, even without the Xbox problem.

Who decided a good title would be Thief: Deadly Shadows?
Is this game a spinoff of a 70's vampire soap opera?

Anyhow, check out the site when traffic dies down, even if its only for nostalgia's sake. Remember: by having low expectations, you increase the likelihood of the game's success.

http://www.thief3.com/main.html

Sean
15-02-2004, 11:30:44
I pre-ordered this from Amazon the other day. Many of the LG guys are at Ion Storm, but I take your point.

Marid Audran
17-02-2004, 03:24:31
I wonder if this will mean that the T2 xpack project will be aborted. I hope it won't...

...and hey, on a second thought, it seems it won't:

http://www.thief2x.com/faq.asp

MDA
17-02-2004, 17:29:11
Yep. I had forgotten about that, but my wife has been looking forward to it for a long time now.

MDA
05-04-2004, 16:26:45
Quick update - Randy Smith, the lead developer of Thief III has left the building. Randy was one of the Looking Glass team involved in the original two Thief titles.

http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=422004-144750

You can also dig up a similar statement at bluesnews, but I don't have the link.

reports at another forumHERE (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=81238) indicate he was fired, but the article does not say that now.
If you don't feel like digging aound in a 1 billion page topic...

Excerpted from the original article:

Randy Smith has been terminated as the project lead of Thief: Deadly Shadows. Smith has been credited with contributions to Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age going back when the series was developed at the now defunct Looking Glass Studios. He made the move to Texas-based Ion Storm Austin with other members of the team when Eidos purchased the rights to the franchise and shifted development to Warren Spector's studio. A source who asked not to be named suggests the winds of change are blowing through Ion - a theory to which the recent arrival of Eidos general manager Trey Ratcliff lends credence. (We're told he's putting the publisher's stamp on the game.)

From the current article:

...Randy Smith is no longer the project lead of Thief: Deadly Shadows. Smith has been credited with contributions to Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age going back when the series was developed at the now defunct Looking Glass Studios. He made the move to Texas-based Ion Storm Austin with other members of the team when Eidos purchased the rights to the franchise and shifted development to Warren Spector's studio. The third Thief title has been in production for more than three years and - according to online retailers Gamestop and EBGames - is currently slated for release on the PC and Xbox in May. Eidos was unable to return messages seeking comment before the publication of this report.

Interesting changes to that article, even if you don't give a damn about Thief III.

MDA
05-04-2004, 16:30:40
Damage control? ...from the Ion Storm Forums...

"When Ion Storm embarked on the Thief 3 project, I knew I had to bring on experienced Thief folks to ensure that the game would be true to the spirit of the first two games in the series. The Thief community deserved no less than to see the legacy of those earlier games honored and the trilogy begun by Looking Glass completed as planned. Randy Smith, a key member of the Thief and Thief 2 teams, was among the first people I brought onto the project and was a pivotal part of the Thief 3 development team. Though he'd never been a project director before, he stepped up, helped build a quality team and contributed to the creation of a wonderful game that the world will soon be able to enjoy.

Randy is well-respected at Ion Storm, both as a designer and as a person, and I'm sure he'll find success in the future. Having said that, there comes a time in every project's development when the creative heavy-lifting is done and the job of final bug-fixing and preparation for ship begins. That's where Thief 3 is right now, a fact that led to some internal friction and unresolvable conflicts that led to Randy's departure.

Situations like this are never pleasant but, if there's a silver lining, it will be found in the game Randy helped to shape during his tenure with Ion Storm. As many in the press have already seen and experienced, Thief 3 is a fun, compelling game, one that brings the first Thief trilogy to a fitting conclusion. I hope fans, old and new, agree.

Warren Spector
Studio Director, Ion Storm"

Scabrous Birdseed
05-04-2004, 16:33:05
There were Vampire Soaps in the 70s? Awesome.

"No, Marsha. You don't understand. I was dead, but now I'm back, as a VAMPIRE!"

MDA
05-04-2004, 16:38:43
They used to rerun it on SciFi channel - my mother was hooked on it when I was a kid.

Dark Shadows was the actual name, IIRC.

MDA
12-05-2004, 12:00:45
Gone Gold.

I'm still suspicious, but my wife definitely wants it, so there you go. :)

DaShi
13-05-2004, 04:36:44
I finished Thief II awhile ago. It was great! Much better than the first one which I couldn't finish because I got too annoyed with those fire elementals.

The Mad Monk
15-05-2004, 10:13:59
Originally posted by MDA
Who decided a good title would be Thief: Deadly Shadows?
Is this game a spinoff of a 70's vampire soap opera?

Don't go dissing Dark Shadows! That was a great show!

I'm not entirely sure what the creators intended, but it sort of became our answer to Doctor Who. :)

MDA
27-05-2004, 11:42:55
Its out!

Sir Penguin
01-06-2004, 05:43:58
Is it any good?

SP

fp@korea
01-06-2004, 06:11:31
There's a demo.

Sir Penguin
01-06-2004, 06:43:35
That's not what I asked.

SP

MDA
01-06-2004, 11:20:57
We only played the training mission, then went back to try and finish off the neverwinter nights expansion before we started something new.

based on that 20 minutes of play, I'd say its going to be OK. I've heard the loading zone delays are a pain, but I cut my teeth on floppy drive games, so no problems there. :)

MDA
21-06-2004, 12:05:18
"New update fixes widely reported level-difficulty reset bug in the PC version of the game; no plans for Xbox update announced."

Hurts the chances of making a sequel, don't it? Maybe that depends on whether or not is sells at all for the kid box.