PDA

View Full Version : GameCube 2 = X-Box 2?

Scabrous Birdseed
10-02-2004, 22:43:48
I saw this suggested in the passing over at The Register and it seems to make sense- Nintendo has the Japanese market share and a strong stable of games but also falling sales figures and a "kiddy console" image, Microsoft needs more coverage in the Jap market and profile games and is kind of a boring geek console maker without nice purple boxies. Both want to catch up with the forthcoming PS3. They're obviously gonna join forces, like SEGA did with the big N earlier.

Asher
10-02-2004, 23:03:58
It does make sense, particularly in the technical area as well.

Nintendo and Microsoft have BOTH announced they're using IBM processors and ATI video cards. It's very likely they're referring to a single product, as I don't see IBM and ATI providing chips to competing consoles at the exact same time.

Sean
15-02-2004, 11:30:08
That would be very cool indeed, as long as Nintendo make the controller.

Asher
02-03-2004, 05:49:45
Oh God I hope not.

If they do, I'd expect it to be an "official" alternative that would only be used for Nintendo or Barbie games.

fp@korea
02-03-2004, 05:57:17
Playstation controllers are teh roXX3r

Funkodrom
02-03-2004, 10:07:46
Nintendo do make the best controllers.

Asher
02-03-2004, 15:00:05
The Gamecube ones are cheap and lack buttons and flexibility of the PS2/Xbox.

Almost all of the IGN Head to Heads put Nintendo's in last place for control, because for things that can be done with one button on PS2/Xbox require combos on the Gamecube.

Shining1
03-03-2004, 01:47:35
Like IGN would know shit about anything...:rolleyes:

Not saying you're wrong, just that IGN isn't the source to be quoting from for anything.

I've found the Gamecube controller to be great for the puzzle/adventure games it has and suboptimal for the fighting games like Soul Calibre II. Doing a B/K combo requires dexterity the average thumb doesn't possess. But the controller fits the hand really well and feels great.

Also, the Wavebird controller Roxxors!

I also seriously hope this is true. There are a lot of really good titles that are segmented for either Xbox or Gamecube that I would like to play. They're virtually not competing with each other at the moment for software, so from a business point of view it makes good sense to cooperate on hardware.

fp@korea
03-03-2004, 03:31:02
Originally posted by Shining1
Also, the Wavebird controller Roxxors!

OK, I'll give you that one. They're great.

Asher
03-03-2004, 05:34:45
The problem is, third parties support Xbox and not Gamecube.

And the only titles that seem to sell well recently are first-party Nintendo games. And those have fallen out of favor.

Debaser
08-03-2004, 15:58:46
Debaser in Blatently Stealing Infomation He Doesn't Really Understand And Posting It Here shocker:

It's already known that Xbox Next will feature six next-generation IBM PowerPC processing cores, spread across three discrete CPUs, and an advanced graphics hardware solution provided by chipset manufacturer ATI

Asher
09-03-2004, 00:46:08
Specifically, it'll have 3 dual-core PowerPC cores based on the PowerPC 970FX, or Apple's G5.

The video chip is based on the upcoming ATI R500. (Radeon 9800 is R350, next cihp is R420, following will be R450/70, and then we have R500).

Suffice to say, it'll kick mucho ass.