PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.2 is nifty.

Deacon
09-02-2004, 22:34:08
It feels to be less buggy than 3.1.4, and Konq even seems to be a usable file manager without the icky drag and drop bugs, though skinning in Noatun appears to be broken. The default is fine. The R&R tool was fun, but I'm going to stick with the same resolution. The colors match up better with GTK2 apps. The Plastik theme is so nice that I switched from .Net. Overall, this release is getting closer to GNOME. Now both desktops need to figure out what to use as their sound systems. Maybe they should do something insane like use the same system. :)

protein
09-02-2004, 23:33:42
Is this a joke post? I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. Not a sausage. Nothing. Zip. Zero. 0.

Konq?
R&R?
GTK2 apps?
Plastik?
GNOME?

Deacon
10-02-2004, 01:34:51
X is a GUI system developed by MIT. X was eventually adopted by the Unix vendors over other GUI systems as the standard.

XFree86 is the free X server of choice for Linux.

GNOME and KDE are different desktop environments for X. They have a fe library dependencies in common, but they are very different. GNOME was recently adopted by Sun to replace CDE.

Konq is short for Konqueror. Its functioning is similar to the Windows explorer.exe shell in that it can be used for web browsing and file management.

R&R refers to the Rotate and Resize extensions to XFree86. Now Linux users can change resolutions while they work, like Windows users have been used to for years.

GTK2 is a widget library. Scrollbars, drop boxes, tabs, buttons, menus. GNOME uses GTK2 widgets, while KDE uses QT widgets.

Some X apps are built with dependencies on this or that widget set, but without dependencies on the desktop environment. So all GNOME apps are GTK apps, but not all GTK apps are GNOME apps.

Plastik is a theme for KDE. It's more understated than Keramik, the default. Some users like to marvel at how neat Keramik looks, and others assume that the novelty will eventually wear off, so they use Plastik.

Sir Penguin
10-02-2004, 03:55:15
I don't think anybody really understands the ins and outs of a Linux graphical desktop, protein. :)

Deacon, how does 3.2 compare to GNOME with regard to loading time? I remember that the reason I chose GNOME over K was that GNOME loaded in about half the time, and was generally more responsive.

SP

Asher
10-02-2004, 04:48:37
Wish I could play with it, but no Linux wants to install on my RAID.

Deacon
10-02-2004, 07:47:51
It was a few months ago when I last tried GNOME 2.4. From what I remember I'd say that GNOME still loads faster.

The maddening thing is that both have apps that are better in certain areas. I like Konsole over gnome-terminal, and the GNOME panel over the KDE panel which was finally de-uglified for 3.2. Last time I was running GNOME and KDE next to each other, they didn't seem to be on the same page regarding fonts. KDE ran GNOME apps with tiny fonts, and GNOME ran KDE apps with huge fonts. And the lack of a common sound system led me to choose aRts over Esound.

As for my feelings about KDE overall, I've had a bit of a mood swing lately. It happened when I ran Red Alert with WINE, and the stupid bar didn't go away in fullscreen. I then tried going to fullscreen with Xine and the screen slid around as I moved the mouse cursor to the edges. This is a step backwards from 3.1.4, so I'm wondering if they'll fix this or wait for everybody to sync.

Grrrr...

Deacon
10-02-2004, 07:49:42
I like that they made KDE more RandR aware, but something with fullscreen was broken. Bugs.kde.org hasn't shed any light.

protein
10-02-2004, 12:15:30
Still have no idea.

I think I will avoid this thread from now on. :nervous:

Funkodrom
10-02-2004, 12:41:08
I wonder if Deacon translated the thread into even more jargon as a joke or if he thought he was helping. :lol:

Sir Penguin
10-02-2004, 21:34:09
Eliminating the jargon in this thread is beyond the scope of this forum. But I'll try.

The Linux graphical desktop is a whole lot different than the one you get with Windows. It is made up of at least three different software suites, none of which is necessary to have a working Linux system (compare this to Windows, in which no part of the desktop can be separated from the OS).

The most important software suite used in a Linux desktop is the windowing system. It provides the graphical canvas that is shown on screen. Graphical applications tell the windowing system to draw the shapes (like lines, squares, and circles) that make up the desktop, and the windowing system sends the information to the video display. Almost all Linux desktops use the free version of the X-Windows windowing system, also called XFree86, X11, or just X.

The second-most important part of the Linux desktop is the desktop environment. The desktop environment gives the desktop a consistent look and feel. For example, the desktop environment might cycle through the displayed windows when the user presses CTRL-TAB. It's also in charge of the clipboard. The desktop environment also provides a widget toolkit, which I'll talk about in the next paragraph. Finally, the desktop environment generally has some kind of panel, which is the Linux equivalent to the Windows taskbar. A Linux desktop usually uses either GNOME or KDE as its desktop environment.

A widget toolkit is a collection of pieces of a graphical interface that have already been coded. Those pieces include scrollbars, text entry boxes, buttons, selection boxes, and so on. Graphical applications use the pre-written widgets to make up their interfaces instead of going through the tedious process of writing their own. The toolkit used by a Linux Desktop depends on its desktop environment. GNOME uses one called GTK+, and KDE uses one called Qt. For example, a button will look different in the KDE desktop environment than it does in the GNOME desktop environment, because the two different buttons come from two different toolkits.

The final part of the Linux Desktop is the window manager. The window manager is in charge of making windows look and behave the same. There are a lot of window managers out there.

That's the simple version. :)

SP

Darkstar
23-03-2004, 19:05:14
Protein, no need for you to wonder. It's Linux related.

Linux is just now getting to where the Mac and Atari were back in the early 80s. It has competing packages of making the desktop "graphical"/windows like.

Deacon
23-03-2004, 23:56:56
Amiga is making a comeback of sorts. Dvorak mentioned it in his column for PC Magazine. As usual, it'll be what we'll all be using in the future. Just gotta figure out how to make PPC hardware cheaper. :)

KDE 3.2.1 is Even Better. Some more annoying features/bugs were fixed. Selecting text from a KHTML-rendered webpage is easier to do. Choosing an icon for a shortcut has been fixed so it works the first time. Multimedia keys are a pain to set up compared to GNOME, but they work. I had to install lineakd to listen for the keys that Xkb couldn't do.

GNOME 2.6 is in beta now. I'm going to wait for it.

zmama
24-03-2004, 12:49:38
That was a very good explanation SP...maybe you should write the manuals

No, please don't throw things at me! :D

Sir Penguin
24-03-2004, 23:02:56
I'll just scowl. :mad:

SP

zmama
24-03-2004, 23:42:50
:lol:

You're such a cute little bugger when you're mad!

Deacon
25-03-2004, 01:06:52
Manuals? I don't need no stinkin' manuals. :D