PDA

View Full Version : PC games

protein
07-02-2004, 20:54:52
Okeydokey. At some point I will be buying Nav's old PC. I'm pretty sure it will be able to handle games. I am also upgrading to broadband -not a fast one though, I think it is three times dial up speed but I believe that that will give me the ability to play games online.

Anyway, I have never played a PC game more advanced than Rollercoaster Tycoon because my PC could never handle games.

I therefore have an awful lot of catching up to do. I am complely in the dark about PC games as I have always been a console type of person.

Please could you tell me briefly what the best games there have been on the PC so far in this sort of format:

JUNGLE BOB
A point and click adventure made in 1998, utterly addictive and award winning. I was hooked for months. Crap graphics

DEATH FORCE SQUAD
A first person army game controlled by mouse. Play online with friends, excellent graphics. 2001.

Thankyou fellow nerds. :)

Scabrous Birdseed
07-02-2004, 21:01:57
What, ever since the inception of the format in 1980? :clueless:

Er, I guess,

MONKEY ISLAND 2: LECHUCK'S REVENGE
1992, Point and Click adventure game set in the carribbean.

MICRO MACHINES 2: TURBO TOURNAMENT
1995 or thereabouts, racing/course design game, brilliant multiplayer.

DOOM
1993 shooter

GABRIEL KNIGHT: SINS OF THE FATHERS
1993 point and clicker set in New Orleans

Beta1
07-02-2004, 21:44:15
MYST
Utterly pointless powerpoint presentation type game loved by people who dont understand games, are afraid of excitment and probably own a Mac. Best avoided.

BATTLEFIELD 1942
Shoot Drekkus and Lurker repeatedly with a wide range of WW2 weapons. Buy

Deus Ex
Utterly fantastic first person/rpg/action game. Will run on Navs old PC, sequel out soon, probably wont run on Navs old PC

Nav
07-02-2004, 22:19:17
a memory upgrade will make Navs old machine okay to play most new games, only at a lower res and lower-quality.

protein
07-02-2004, 22:57:35
BATTLEFIELD 1942 and Deus Ex sound interesting. I think I will give Myst a go. It was on the playstation and probably the worst game ever made. Micro Machines is good but I will probably be using a mouse and keypad for PC gaming.

Nav
08-02-2004, 10:10:28
I play bf1942 fine on my current machine, however an extra 256mb would make it load much faster...

protein
08-02-2004, 13:44:12
Is it an online game? Do I get the opportunity to kill any of you?

maroule
08-02-2004, 14:29:40
championship manager (01/02 or earlier editions)
heaven for masochist and anal retentive people who have always wanted to become footy managers

combat mission beyond overlord
father of the CM series, the best tactical wargame ever produced, out in 2000 and will turn on any machine, even your ti380 calculator

MDA
08-02-2004, 18:41:59
Deus Ex or Thief Gold - either should be cheap. Thief is more stealth oriented, obviously.

I got tremendous mileage out of Tropico -a tropical island sim where you play the dictator.

Baldur's Gate is solid if you like fantasy RPGs. Although I tend to wear out before finishing games in that series, I do enjoy them.

You should be able to find Betrayal at Krondor free online - its old enough it would run on your old machine - its another fantasy RPG, based on the Raymond Feist books.

protein
08-02-2004, 23:45:45
RPG games are quite hit and miss with me. Either I am hooked or I think it is dull as hell.

I am pretty sure that the PC games I will enjoy are your online first person, point and click adventures and games where you play god/master.

Battlefield 1942, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Quake, etc.

I really like the idea of playing against you lot at something.

Greg W
09-02-2004, 00:19:21
Well, someone has to do it I suppose. :D

Civilization series (I/II/III) - possibly the best series of 4x (god/master in your vocabulary) games ever produced. Civ III best with Conquests add on pack (variants would include Call to Power I/II and Advanced Civilization).

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire - above set in space, lots of improvements/tweaks over CivII. Apparently best with Alien Crossfire, but I never bought that add-on.

Master of Orion I/II - An earlier take on Civ in space. Considered by many to be the best sci-fi version of a 4x game (other variants on this theme include "Stars!" and "Galactic Civilizations).

Heroes of Might and Magic I/II/III/IV - similar to Civ style games, but set in a fantasy world (variants include Age of Wonders I/II, Master of Magic and Warlords I/II/III/IV)

Greg W
09-02-2004, 00:26:42
In tersm of RPG games, I would recommend Baldur's Gate II, or if oyu feel like a more open style game, Morrowind (with add-ons).

HelloKitty
09-02-2004, 03:03:01
Or if you want an online RPG with a persistant world a few of us can argue over the pluses and minuses of FFXI, EQ, Horizons, UO, SWG, AC, AO, etc etc etc.

These games are massivly addictive though. They combine chat rooms, bullitin boards, Instant messangers, role playing games, etc in one giant package. All the things that are evil and addictive about computers and the internet are representsed.

protein
09-02-2004, 12:44:34
hmm.

Thanks cyber nerds. I will investigate, eventually lose all contact with the outside world and become a hermit cyber geek monk.

Eklektikos
09-02-2004, 12:56:46
Originally posted by Greg W
Master of Orion I/II - An earlier take on Civ in space. Considered by many to be the best sci-fi version of a 4x game (other variants on this theme include "Stars!" and "Galactic Civilizations).
But avoid Master of Orion III like the plague unless alternating between utter confusion and abject boredom is your cup of tea, or you consider MS Excel to be the best game ever written.

Vincent
09-02-2004, 18:47:24
Originally posted by protein
I really like the idea of playing against you lot at something. :lol:

chagarra
10-02-2004, 00:56:20
Stars! is still going strong, even with the PR disaster of Supernove, currently there has been a challenge from the players at Electronic Arts that has been accepted by our IRC group and possibly two other software houses.
Also a duelling forum exists for those players who are not into diplomacy...
Venom would be a natural... :shoot:

:D

LoD
10-02-2004, 09:09:20
Originally posted by Eklektikos
But avoid Master of Orion III like the plague unless alternating between utter confusion and abject boredom is your cup of tea, or you consider MS Excel to be the best game ever written.

You do realize that a lot of the developers of Stars! had been previously working on Excel?

Eklektikos
10-02-2004, 11:17:50
I have to admit that I've never even heard of it :nervous:

LoD
10-02-2004, 13:45:34
And now you KNOW... can't say that you can't tell it from the game's graphical layout, right?

Eklektikos
10-02-2004, 14:33:42
I meant that I've never even heard of Stars!, let alone the Excel connection.

Chris
10-02-2004, 18:37:01
Plenty of good games out there.

It's a little old, but AoE II is worth your time.

There are some extremly complex empire builders that lower end systems can handle, like EU II and Victoria.

I just recieved a nice looking game called Pax Romana, this looks like a real winner.

QtFLW@Work
10-02-2004, 18:56:53
Angband is great value for money, and you can enter the Angband compos! :) Not sure if Nav's crap old machine can handle it though... :D

FreeCiv is a not bad free version of Civ.

Stars! and MoO II should be dead cheap, but I hear Alien Crossfire is disproportionately expensive to how good it really is.

Morrowind is pretty good, but it's way easy. Unless you're disciplined enough to be heavily into the role-playing aspect of it.

LoD
10-02-2004, 19:04:59
Originally posted by Eklektikos
I meant that I've never even heard of Stars!, let alone the Excel connection.

Ah.

MDA
10-02-2004, 19:12:23
SMAC:AC is expensive because its rare, IIRC.

The Fallout games are also good, but those are also RPGs.

zmama
10-02-2004, 19:28:48
I'll put a plug in for Grim Fandango (adventure)...looks great and its funny and its old and cheap now

Scabrous Birdseed
10-02-2004, 19:30:22
Yeah buy Grim. Grim is awesome.

Darkstar
23-03-2004, 20:32:00
MoO1 is definately considered the "Best" 4x game, ever. A Darkstar recommended game.

MoO2 is alright... it's more like Civ in Space though.

GC (Galatic Civilization) is a fun game. Very Civ1 in space. Only with better AI.

MoM (Master of Magic) is the best game ever for player customization. It's Fantasy Civ. A Darkstar recommended game.

SMAC and SMAC:AX are good games for player customization. Civ on Alien World.

If you need the old MS-DOS environment to play the old games, just say so. There's several good MS-Dos emulators out there, for free.