PDA

View Full Version : Directors mixing depth

Scabrous Birdseed
03-02-2004, 23:35:38
I just saw Picnic at Hanging Rock and besides making me desperately want to see The Last Wave, it got me thinking about what a strange career Peter Weir has had.

I mean, I think Picinic at Hanging Rock and The Truman Show were both brilliant films, full of depth, complexity and entirely devoid of the usual clichés. At the same time, Dead Poets Society and Green Card are both thoroughly mundane hollywood fare, the former being a particularly nasty example of sickening sentimental schlock. From what I've head his new flick (Master and Commander) is much the same.

Why? How does it hang together? I don't get it. It's more understandable with (say) Steven Soderbergh, who mixes fare that's decidedly and deliberately as light as possible with heavier stuff, but Weir seems to veer like a drunk driver from real depth to fake plastic depth.

Venom
03-02-2004, 23:39:08
I think each one of those films COULD have had the same depth and complexity, but as with many films, the film making process just didn't come together in the right proportions, be it casting, budget, bad editing, bad script...who really knows?

King_Ghidra
12-02-2004, 13:20:33
i'll take dead poet's society over the truman show any day

i thought the truman show was quite funny and clever in places, but unfortunately the whole concept was grossly unbelievable, the euro baddie was pathetic and it too had a schmaltzy ending iirc

anyway as for the topic, has anyone done anything as diverse as peter jackson (brain dead and lord of the rings)?

Debaser
12-02-2004, 13:42:00
Spielberg?

Schindler's List doesn't have much in common with Gremlins.

King_Ghidra
12-02-2004, 13:44:30
it doesn't??! ha! call yourself a critic?!

Debaser
12-02-2004, 13:48:21
Hmm, I forgot about the mass genocide in the cinema scene at the end of Gremlins.

And I never called myself a critic (hopefully a proper critic wouldn't begin a sentence with the word "And").

Venom
12-02-2004, 13:48:57
Mengele was a Gremlin.