PDA

View Full Version : Desert Rats Vs Afrika Korps

Nav
27-01-2004, 16:49:55
No, this has nothing to do with the recent Combat Mission game, well actually it does in a way, this is the blurb for the upcoming World War II RTS game from Hungarian Developers, Digital Reality.

'Desert Rats vs. Africa Korps places you in the heat of battle between legendary generals Montgomery and Rommel during the North Africa campaign of World War II from both the Axis' and Allies' perspective.'

The graphics are looking very tasty as well, check out the trailer (http://www.counterglow.com/uploads/nav/desertrats/DR_Trailer.avi) (45mbs, Right Click and 'Save As'), and visit www.desertratsgame.com for more info and screenshots. It's due for release in late March and hopefully we'll be doing a review.

Nav
27-01-2004, 17:07:54
Features

Variety of Units: More than 70 different units are available, each with its own complementary characteristics, including eight specialized soldiers (rifleman, scout, machine gunner, medic, sapper, flamethrower, sniper, grenade launcher) and seven categories of vehicles (recon, tank, anti-tank artillery, anti-air artillery, transport, air support) unite to form the player's armies.

Cutting Edge 3D Technology: Provides the game with natural looking desert terrain, beautiful lighting and shadow effects, realistic unit animations and movement, and breathtaking special effects.

Enhanced Combat Realism: Every vehicle and building can be captured; front, side and rear armor are taken into account; only fully-crewed vehicles are 100% operational. In addition, every vehicle can acquire up to three levels of experience upon successfully completing a mission. Pause feature allows players to think over their tactics at anytime and to schedule up to three orders per unit.

Deep Single Player Experience: Desert Rats vs. Africa Korps presents an unparalleled single player experience which includes a management phase at the beginning of each mission to prepare for battle. The story-driven campaign spans 20 missions ranging from recon operations to large-scale battles for desert fortresses.

Multiplayer Gaming: Five different multiplayer modes including death match and capture the flag are available via Gamespy or LAN for up to four players.

Beta1
27-01-2004, 17:08:07
hmmm looks a bit command and conquer to me.

And their claims to historical accuracy look a little off from the gamespot preview.

Lets just say the grogs probably wont like it.

MDA
27-01-2004, 18:42:06
The grogs don't like anything that doesn't have a 300 page manual and rare german SpKWXYZpdq's in three types of camo.

Beta1
27-01-2004, 22:55:33
3 types????

the SpKWXYZpdq was only ever issued in 2 camo types!!!!

Moron.

MDA
27-01-2004, 23:09:54
Sorry, but you're wrong. There *was* a third camo type for the SpKWXYZpdq. I neglected to mention that it never made it to the front lines. Three vehicles intended for use in Eastern Europe were painted with "giant yellow daisy" camo schemes, but were destroyed by allied bombers before they got 200 meters from the motor pool.

MDA
27-01-2004, 23:10:28
I have the references if anyone is interested.

LoD
28-01-2004, 02:22:55
:lol:

Beta1
28-01-2004, 13:57:05
You cant count the giant daisy color scheme.

Anyway that wasnt for cammo purposes - it was special paint job for the Furher's 1944 Easter parrade. Somewhere here I have the pictures of the matching King tiger with bunny ears prototype.

maroule
28-01-2004, 14:00:28
:)

anyway, I have seen a review of the game in my PC wargaming mag, definitively a cross between a rts and a limited rpg
beautiful graphics, shallow tactics

Beta1
28-01-2004, 14:44:03
You know the more I play these games the more I think I should start writing one...

CM is just a basic graphic engine stuck ontop of a database.

Actually thats true for both CM and CM.

If limited to platoon level+support to reduce the complexity it might be just about manageable. The graphic engine would be fairly easy using something like DarkBasic and the database would not have to be that complex.

I might just hold of the BF1942 and have a play around and see what happens.

maroule
28-01-2004, 14:58:01
well, they developped CMBO in their kitchen, apparently, but surely it's grown a bit more complex no?

Beta1
28-01-2004, 15:13:39
Yep but CMBO complexity on a smaller scale should be acheivable. Actually I think I could handle the maths, its the graphics that would give me a headache.

And I wouldnt have to work in a kitchen.