PDA

View Full Version : Illustrator -> Quark

Scabrous Birdseed
26-01-2004, 23:33:31
Protein should know this- What's the best way to get a line drawing into QuarkExpress? Or should I fuck Illustrator and do the map as a jumongous bitmap instead?

protein
26-01-2004, 23:58:07
You can save Illustrator files as EPS files or PDF files which are both ok to use with Quark. You may have to fiddle with your Quark preference settings.

If you have any text in the illustrator file and are planning to print on another machine you will have to rasterize the text. Simply got to Edit then Select All, then Type then Create outlines. The reason for this is that illustrator files are a set of instructions for the computer to make the image. If the machine that the file is on doesn't have the particular font you used it will default to an ugly one called "courier".

The other option is to (if it is black and white) save it as an EPS, convert it to bitmap in Photoshop and save it as a tif file. They are relatively small. Don't go mental with the resolution though. Newspaper standard for black and white bitmaps is 600dpi.

There are loads of ways to solve that sort of thing. I'm sure Debaser would be able to expand because he's had college training in graphics.

Nav
27-01-2004, 13:36:57
600dpi? isn't that a very high print resolution? I would have thought that newspapers wouldn't have required anything like that kind of quality.

Scabrous Birdseed
27-01-2004, 15:51:28
It's a glossy mag so yeah.