PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings gets easier to read and has less dull bits as I get older.

Funkodrom
21-01-2004, 13:57:06
They must keep revising it or something.

:nervous:

zmama
21-01-2004, 14:03:25
Nah, I tried again...and still didn't like it. :D

The Hobbit is still the only one I kinda like.

maroule
21-01-2004, 14:05:23
or
- you know you'll be bored at some points so expecting it makes it less painful
- you grow more sentimental about this book (you remember reading it while younger, etc.) and even the dull bits have a certain charm

Funkodrom
21-01-2004, 14:08:18
I am about half way through Fellowship, past all the bits I used to find dull and even the Tom Bombadil bit didn't annoy me, although I didn't read the songs about his fucking girlfriend.

Actually, I appreciate the changes they made in the film more reading it again. The way that first half of Fellowship works in the film is an excellent summary of the story keeping to the spirit without a lot of unimportant detail. I'd forgotten quite how much they cut out.

The Fellowship are a lot more heavily armed in the film than the book though. :)

maroule
21-01-2004, 14:09:48
how so?

Venom
21-01-2004, 14:13:14
The Two Towers book sucked. I think I would have said the same thing about Fellowship, except I was still motivated and excited to read all 4 books. 30 pages of Ent bullshit killed that motivation though.

Funkodrom
21-01-2004, 14:14:45
Well, in the bit I was reading on the train in the morning it describes how lightly they are traveling and their weapons Aragorn only has his sword, gimli his axe, bow for Legolas etc.

There is a scene in one of the films (when they get to Rohan in TTT I think?) where they have to disarm and it goes on for ages with concealed weapons appearing from every part of their clothing. That, i think, is a little tribute to another film but I can't remember it at the moment.

Oh and I'd forgotten that they remade the sword this early.

Oh and the fact that Fellowship has scenes with Aragorn and Arwen actually works much better than Tolkein's subtle allusion that he's giving her a damn good seeing to.

zmama
21-01-2004, 14:18:35
oooh Aragorn can give me a right good seeing to! Viggo is much more to my liking than Mr Bloom.

(Did I just say that? :o )

Funkodrom
21-01-2004, 14:29:57
:hmm:

King_Ghidra
21-01-2004, 15:29:53
:lol:

basicaly the only bits that i found really tedious were al the bits with frodo and sam trudging through mordor

100 pages of some stunty fellows struggling up and down cliffs and walking down gullies and eating lembas

PLEASE GOD STOP

BigGameHunter
21-01-2004, 16:18:51
Don't worry, zmama...I love Vigo too. Give me a dozen Midori sours and I'll take a scruffy tumble with him.

Cumber
21-01-2004, 21:38:05
Now try The Silmarillion. :D

Cumber
21-01-2004, 21:41:13
(if you take that suggestion seriously, don't give up on it based on the first section (the Ainulindale, I think)... it's short and nothing like the rest of the book)

Funkodrom
21-01-2004, 23:01:50
I tried it once. Fucking hell that's hard work.

Darkstar
21-01-2004, 23:19:44
Originally posted by Funkodrom
There is a scene in one of the films (when they get to Rohan in TTT I think?) where they have to disarm and it goes on for ages with concealed weapons appearing from every part of their clothing. That, i think, is a little tribute to another film but I can't remember it at the moment.

Mad Max family... Beyond Thunder Dome, IIRC.

Funkodrom
21-01-2004, 23:20:37
Ah! I think that's it. Thanks.

BigGameHunter
21-01-2004, 23:47:01
I couldn't read the Silmarilidons,dhdf....whatever it is.
Horrible, horrible...like reading the driest book of the bible, poorly translated.

Venom
22-01-2004, 00:34:59
It's been in a couple of other movies too. Can't think of any off the top of my head because I'm retarded.

Darkstar
22-01-2004, 03:12:05
AIR, it was the Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome that iconized that scene. After that, it was customary to have a long removal of hidden weapon scene whenever the scene did a "no weapons beyond this point" deal.

Cumber
22-01-2004, 05:18:24
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
I couldn't read the Silmarilidons,dhdf....whatever it is.
Horrible, horrible...like reading the driest book of the bible, poorly translated.

I couldn't read the Silmarillion the first time I tried. Don't even have any memories of it, it was that bad. Then when I went on my big Tolkein nuttyness thing, I tried it again and couldn't put it down.

Just for reference, there are 5 parts

The Ainulindalë reads like the first bit of Genesis. It's the creation myth.

The Valaquenta is about the gods, as the Elves know them. It's as bad if not worse than the Ainulindale, but together with the Ainulindale it makes all of 19 pages. Anyone who gives up based on these two sections owes the book another shot, starting at the next bit. Though you might need to flick back to the Valaquenta if you want to know the names of the gods (other than Sauron, who I assume we all know :)).

The Quenta Silmarillion is 3/4 of the book, and is the good bit, but it is *not* a story with a hero blah blah blah. It's basically a collection of legends put together in roughly chronological order that together make up the story of the First Age. This stuff I almost like more than the LotR... I find the subject matter more appealing anyway (even if Morgoth is a prat... Sauron makes a much cooler Enemy), though they're so different it's impossible to compare.

Then you get Akallabęth, which is the story of most of the Second Age, and how Numenor was destroyed.

Then comes Of The Rings of Power, which tells of Sauron's rise to power, the forging of the rings, and the Third Age, which ends in the Lord of the Rings.

The key to enjoying the Silmarillion is to realise that you don't have to read all of the bits (even the chapters of the main part) in order, or at all. Think of it as a book of mythology set in Tolkein's world. If you read the appendices of the Lord of the Rings, you should like at least the Quenta Silmarillion.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-01-2004, 09:51:22
Then read "Unifinished Tales" and grow a beard.

maroule
22-01-2004, 09:57:12
I liked the turin turambar story in the simarillion, quite tragic and lyrical

Cumber
23-01-2004, 00:56:54
Yeah, that's a good one. The expanded version of it in Unfinished Tales is even better. Though a big chunk out of the middle is missing.

Nills Lagerbaak
31-01-2004, 12:11:46
Originally posted by Cumber
Now try The Silmarillion. :D

Yes, I tried that once, bit heavy going.
However, I found an excellent way to get into it was to listen to the tape version. I listend to it in a car all the way to Cornwall and back.
It really is excellent.

Spartak
31-01-2004, 13:26:31
I left a open copy of unfinished tales on my desk at work and some of my cowies thought the image was really funny.

Sad bastards!