PDA

View Full Version : BBC "Sounds of 2004"

*End Is Forever*
09-01-2004, 03:10:20
BBC News Online have unveiled a list of ten acts to look out for in 2004... you can find it here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3369355.stm) along with clips from each artist. Obviously we know better than the critics, so are any of these any good?

King_Ghidra
09-01-2004, 09:45:58
i do hear a lot of exciteable noises about franz ferdinand, but have yet to hear any of the music myself

protein
09-01-2004, 10:01:32
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Who?
Probably.

Chairman Yang
09-01-2004, 10:05:59
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Gramercy Riffs
09-01-2004, 10:16:17
I saw Franz Ferdinand at Reading Festival I think.

They're quite avant garde (which is a dirty word to some).

King_Ghidra
09-01-2004, 10:29:58
not to me, it's like golden syrup to the ears :D

Funkodrom
09-01-2004, 11:58:39
I've heard of Franz Ferdinand and seen a gig listing for McFly.

Debaser
09-01-2004, 12:51:18
I voted for Franz Ferdinand. They're really good.

McFly??? Never has such a good bandname been wasted so thoughtlessly

Funkodrom
09-01-2004, 12:51:49
Keane

They say: "Describing their sound as "stadium rock", Keane have polished and powerful high-emotion tunes that have been compared to Coldplay and The Beautiful South."

I say: As shit as that description makes them sound.

Franz Ferdinand

They say: "Mixing the glorious melodrama of Joy Division with the quirky melodies of Talking Heads and the pop style of Pulp, they say they found the record company bidding war that surrounded them "really, really funny"."

I say: Interesting. Would like to hear more.

Wiley

They say:
This east London garage producer and MC is already a star on the underground, selling 50,000 records and getting mobbed in the street. He is also the head of the Roll Deep crew, which was once home to Mercury Music Prize winner Dizzee Rascal.

I say:
Yes, he sounds like Dizzee Rascall without the touch of genius. OK.

Razorlight

They say: "Razorlight produce punchy, punky and very English rock - although they are one part English, one part Peruvian and two parts Swedish."

I say: Too many bands like this around already, nothing special.

Joss Stone

They say "A blonde 16-year-old from Devon with a voice like a soul diva from Philly, Joss Stone has already turned heads on both sides of the Atlantic. "

I say: I can't believe she's only 16 or from Devon. Not my kind of thing but a great voice.

McFly

They say: McFly are tipped to follow friends Busted to the top of the charts with easy-on-the-ear guitar music aimed at a teen pop audience.

I say: Well, it worked for the Monkeys!

The Scissor Sisters

They say: "Hip electropop group The Scissor Sisters cite influences from David Bowie and Elton John to burlesque theatre and have gone down a storm on their native New York club scene. "

I say: Does anyone need an 'electropop' version of the Bee Gees? I don't.

The Ordinary Boys

They say: Taking their name from a Morrissey song, The Ordinary Boys sound like they had a heavy influence from The Smiths and The Jam during their upbringing in Worthing, West Sussex.

I say: Again, sounds as shit as I'd expect from the description.

Tali

They say: A classically-trained singer and pianist from New Zealand, Tali real name Natalia Scott is now one of the hottest artists on the UK circuit. She got her break after cornering drum 'n' bass supremo Roni Size in Melbourne. He let her take the stage and later join his Full Cycle crew.

I say: Shit Roni Size rip off beat without any class and crap vocals. Rubbish.

Gemma Fox

They say: "A bad-girl singer and MC from north London, Gemma Fox started as a garage artist but is now being lined up as a British R&B singer to rival Ms Dynamite. "

I say: To rival Ms Dynamite wouldn't she have to be good? This is rubbish.

So my vote goes to Franz Ferdinand.

King_Ghidra
09-01-2004, 13:33:50
that joss stone cover of fell in love with a boy is prety cool

i actually like that wiley guy, like to hear the rest of that track

definitely like to hear some more franz ferdinand

mcfly :vom:

the scissor sisters look like i imagined the brown berets, but anyone who has the balls to do a disco cover of comfortably numb i have to hear more of

that tali was fucking terrible

we are told gemma fox 'started going to raves at 13'. Presumably they left out 'was sucking cock by the bus stop at 14 and had a brown baby at 15'. She's a pretty obvious miss dyanmite style artist but i didn't think it was all that bad.

the others were either boring or shit

Funkodrom
09-01-2004, 14:06:51
In some cases I was overly harsh but I think that's fair for what they are billed as here.

Kitsuki
09-01-2004, 18:13:30
Alll bad, bad, things.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-01-2004, 14:44:24
Keane: Not as bad as their supposed inspirations. Not that that's saying much.

FF: Punkfunk is so 2003, dahlings.

Wiley: Bad-to-okay Rapper, Okay Beats. Need to hear more, reserving judgement.

Razorlight: I kinda like bits of this and kinda hate bits of this. Some of it is great, some of it is original, some of it sounds like The Strokes. Intriguing but mediocre, want to hear more and enough already. Okay, I'll stop now.

Joss Stone: Anastatia's supposed Breast Cancer operation was clearly a larynxectomy as her vocal chords appear to have ended up in a crap neo-soul child.

McFly: Iain! Time to form a band, your music obviously has a market.

SS: At least it's funny. Where's the Electro?

OBs: Rich! Time to form a band, your music obviously has a market.

Tali: Pleasepleaseplease not a dancepop revival. Pleasepleaseplease.

Gemma Fox: More Big Bruvarse than Ms Dynamite. More evidence of the English not "getting" it.

Funkodrom
11-01-2004, 11:18:17
"The English"? fuck off. :)

Stefu X
02-01-2005, 17:45:37
Bumpitybump.

FF's punkfunk certainly was "so 2003", Snapcase. Cough.

Still, it's interesting. FF, Keane, Scissor Sisters, Joss Stone and McFly did make it, and Razorlight, well, at least got heavily promoted in the NME. (which isn't exactly an accomplishment or anything but still)

Debaser
02-01-2005, 19:48:37
And who would have guessed that in just one year Gramacy Riffs would go from not knowing who Razorlight were to taking his fandom to extraordinary levels.

*End Is Forever*
03-01-2005, 23:29:18
For some reason in today's Times 2 they were plugging Razorlight as the next big thing.

Funkodrom
04-01-2005, 10:19:09
My little brother was playing an acoustic gig and they randomly turned up to play.

Obviously not my thing but hey, they aren't as bad as Franz Ferdinand.

King_Ghidra
04-01-2005, 10:32:14
well scissor sisters and franz ferdiand were two of my favourite albums of last year.

the only one out of the original set that i liked that i didn't follow up was the wiley stuff.

Funkodrom
04-01-2005, 10:35:10
Yeah, I did check out some of his stuff but it sounded like less good Dizzee Rascall so I left it, I think I'd just end up listening to Dizzee's albums.

King_Ghidra
04-01-2005, 11:15:06
actually against my better judgement i ended up listening to the keane album while round at my gf's house (her mum's copy, says a lot really) and have to admit to liking a few of the tracks in a rather obvious coldplay type way

protein
04-01-2005, 11:49:49
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
well scissor sisters and franz ferdiand were two of my favourite albums of last year.
:eek: :confused: :nervous:

Funkodrom
04-01-2005, 11:50:46
You shouldn't really be surprised, I think that's about the fourth time he's posted that. :D

Nills Lagerbaak
04-01-2005, 12:50:17
I heard the scissor sisters album - yuk is all I can say!

Franz Ferdinand sounded vaguely interesting when I heard the CD, then I heard a live recording and they mde Ian Brown sound like he could sing unaided

Funkodrom
04-01-2005, 12:55:48
Scissor Sisters album is ok, I'm not a big fan but at least it's a bit different.

Franz Ferdinand initially made a good impression but they seem to be slightly one trick ponys, and each subsequent thing I hear makes me dislike them more for some reason. (same thing happened with The Strokes) Also, Take Me Out has been so overplayed this year that it's gone from catchy to annoying to starting to make me angry just thinking about it.

Nills Lagerbaak
04-01-2005, 13:05:10
That live version (can't remember the name, but think it was on general release) was the most ameturish pap I had heard in a long time!

Gramercy Riffs
05-01-2005, 12:02:01
Originally posted by Debaser
And who would have guessed that in just one year Gramacy Riffs would go from not knowing who Razorlight were to taking his fandom to extraordinary levels.

I cant help it if that tosser looks like me, hes a complete dick and his band are bloody awful.

Not that it bothers me or anything.....

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 12:03:41
Maybe you can just use it to get you girls!

Debaser
05-01-2005, 12:10:22
Originally posted by Gramercy Riffs
I cant help it if that tosser looks like me, hes a complete dick and his band are bloody awful.

Not that it bothers me or anything.....

Haha, I was wondering when you were going to notice I'd written that. Sorry Daniel.

King_Ghidra
05-01-2005, 12:14:58
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Maybe you can just use it to get you girls!

i think that plan is well underway, intentionally or not

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 12:16:41
Excellent, I'm pretty out of touch, haven't really seen any of you lot for ages!

Gramercy Riffs
05-01-2005, 12:20:39
Well, I'd be lying if I said it didnt attract some attention from the female species.

However, they are usually rabid Razorlight fans so its very unwelcome attention.

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 12:25:48
So, get a rabies shot and enjoy! ;)

Gramercy Riffs
05-01-2005, 12:28:17
Good idea, that way I could go on that holiday to France I've always promised myself aswell.

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 12:30:05
If you want to save money/not get all the inocculations you can just get some Gaulloises and sit outside La Baguette. It's exactly like france but better because you can speak Anglais.

Debaser
05-01-2005, 12:32:22
And the food's nicer.

Gramercy Riffs
05-01-2005, 12:36:30
I could chomp on onions to really complete the France Experience.

The La Baguette on Kings Road was infested with flies last time I went, it was disgusting. The sandwhich was as nice as ever though.

Funkodrom
05-01-2005, 12:37:16
"infested with flies"

Told you it was just like France.

Gramercy Riffs
05-01-2005, 12:37:43
:lol:

Provost Harrison
05-01-2005, 22:38:34
I've voted for Franz Ferdinand. The benefits of hindsight :D

Funkodrom
06-01-2005, 09:11:57
To be fair they've all had at least some success. Many of them quite a lot.

Koshko
06-01-2005, 23:01:13
Keane - Mellow but alright
Franz Ferdinand - Not bad
Wiley - dunno them
Razorlight - dunno them
Joss Stone - dunno the music
McFly - dunno them
The Scissor Sisters - dunno the music
The Ordinary Boys - dunno the music
Tali - dunno them
Gemma Fox - dunno them

MEH

Scabrous Birdseed
09-01-2005, 16:51:49
Wiley turned out to be my favourite act of the year. Oh well.