PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss the Life of Pi thread?

protein@abroad
07-01-2004, 11:57:54
I got this to read on the plane. So far it's brilliant. It's similie-tastic.

Qweeg
07-01-2004, 12:01:09
My sister likes that book, which tells me all I need to know.

protein@abroad
07-01-2004, 12:45:00
It's written in the words of a very religious Indian man and so is very colourful and rich. There is also a hell of a lot of talk about animals so I guess it is fairly girly.

Sean
07-01-2004, 18:32:27
And the author is a complete tosser.

Noisy
07-01-2004, 19:06:40
Who ripped the idea off from someone else without crediting them.

Sean
07-01-2004, 19:14:59
Not to mention…ah, let’s let protein feel cultural.

protein@abroad
08-01-2004, 06:07:04
Cultural? Me? From reading a book? :lol:

I'd rather feel cultural from being blessed in the ancient temple of Phrathat Doi Suthep atop a mountain near Chiang Mai and then going to watch real Muay Thai. I'd rather feel cultural from performing music or creating new sounds. I feel more cultural eating curry than reading a book.

Don't get me wrong, books are cool and everything but doing real things is much better than reading about other people doing them.

And I don't care what the author is like, if I enjoy the book then that's what matters. I wouldn't not eat a sandwich because a wanker made it.

DAMMIT! It's 6 in the morning and I'm on Counterglow defending myself for reading a novel I bought in an airport. Bloody jet lag.

fp@korea
08-01-2004, 07:14:56
I've got this book, but haven't read it yet. I know it won the Booker Prize, which is usually a hallmark for being over-written pretentious toss in my experience (admittedly limited as far as Booker-winners goes). I've heard it's actually pretty good though, so I'm kinda torn on whether to bother reading it or not. This thread hasn't helped that predicament.

I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez now, which is very good, although not as good as One Hundred Years of Solitude.
I can't decide if the thought of all those old people having sex in the book is charmingly romantic or just kinda creepy. I guess it's both. The description of a 60 year old "grooming" (to use the parlance of our times) a 14 year old girl for a year and then spiriting her away to fuck endlessly in shed is definitely creepy, though.

protein@abroad
08-01-2004, 08:35:17
It's very easy to read if that helps. Some books have the odd sentance that you have to mull overfor a while but this book is more of a flow of consiousness. That's probably a bad thing but I'm not much of a book person.

Debaser
08-01-2004, 12:12:15
Originally posted by protein@abroad
I wouldn't not eat a sandwich because a wanker made it.

Are you sure you've thought this through properly?

protein@abroad
08-01-2004, 12:23:36
mmm. mayo.

Just finished the book actually. I think I like it because it is a bit like a children's book.

Sean
08-01-2004, 18:33:17
Originally posted by Sean
Not to mention…ah, let’s let protein feel cultural.
I'd rather feel cultural from being blessed in the ancient temple of Phrathat Doi Suthep atop a mountain near Chiang Mai and then going to watch real Muay Thai.
:)

King_Ghidra
09-01-2004, 09:40:34

Don't get me wrong, books are cool and everything but doing real things is much better than reading about other people doing them.

most people find a bit of both is a nice combination

efectively you're shitting on your own doorstep here - do you think people should go out and make their own music (doing real things) rather than listening to yours (listening to other people doing things)?

as i say, a bit of both is probably the healthiest option :)

protein
09-01-2004, 09:56:06
I'm not trying to say anything too grand here. I'm just saying that I'm no much of a book person. I just have a very short attention spa...

Gramercy Riffs
09-01-2004, 10:17:41
Spoken like a true drummer.:)

protein
09-01-2004, 10:22:15
Homer Simpson could have been a drummer.

a one
a two
a one, two, three... 'doh!