PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Robert Rankin

Sean
06-01-2004, 19:43:35
Was I the only one who really enjoyed The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse? Is The Witches of Chiswick any good?

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-01-2004, 21:49:01
Is he actually any good at all? On the basis of people like SB raving about him I bought "The Antipope" and thought it was awful. Even on a bad day I'm funnier than that.

Sean
06-01-2004, 22:23:33
You don’t get a better seal of critical approval than that.

The Bursar
06-01-2004, 22:30:06
I don't find him that funny, but he scores points for sheer psychadelic absurdity. Nostradamus Ate My Hamster was masterful.

QtFLW@Work
07-01-2004, 22:20:26
I used to think he was funny, but on re-read of the first of the Armageddon trilogy I wasn't terribly impressed. perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it.

I bought Nostradamus... a few years back but have yet to read it.

Rodgers
08-01-2004, 12:56:15
Originally posted by The Bursar
I don't find him that funny, but he scores points for sheer psychadelic absurdity. Nostradamus Ate My Hamster was masterful.

Agreed - his imagination rather than his humour impressed me the most. His books are pretty much throwaway stuff to fill an afternoon or something.

He is actually very funny in person - I went to an evening at our local Waterstones where he was giving a talk about his new book - he has a lot of great anecdotes and has obviously lead a very odd and eventful life. A sharp wit and a very friendly guy - he went for a drink with a lot of the people there afterwards (not me though - I couldnt be arsed to hang around with a lot of hero-worshipping Red Dwarf types)