PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaw Lem

Qweeg
06-01-2004, 15:28:47
My girlfriends cousin bought me a book by Stanislav Lem for christmas, what should I do, send her a nasty letter anonymously or read the book and enjoy... it's called the Hospital of the Transconfiguration or something, and has a picture of a doctor falling over.

I watched the original Solaris a few weeks ago, it was crap, I'm thinking the Hollywood version is probably better.

Scabrous Birdseed
06-01-2004, 15:58:57
You're a man of no taste. The original Solaris rules.

maroule
06-01-2004, 16:08:06
yeah, didn't you read Sacb's review, fool!

Qweeg
06-01-2004, 16:11:25
Pah! It was like listening to a man who thinks too much, drinks too much, and has been spiked with WAY more LSD then is usually advisable, going on and on about planets made of slime and the meaning of existence.

Some parts of it were lucid, which made it all the more confusing when it went off into a wonderful world of no-particular-plot babble-grade dadaistic nonesense about nothing much really that certainly didn't need a space-station. Don't get me wrong, strong potential occasionally emerged in the film, but these moments were usually washed away and replaced once more with vodka-induced tangents that led nowhere interesting at all.

I watched 2001 ASO again the other day, and realised how much better it was then the original Solaris, even with all the too-long psychadelic light sequence bits at the end.

[David Brent]Coherance. You see. Made Sense. [/David Brent]

Qweeg
06-01-2004, 16:13:56
And what's so good about that frilly-shirt-wearer from hundreds of years ago... can't even talketh properly.

Funkodrom
06-01-2004, 17:21:12
Have you read The Illuminatus Trilogy Qweeg? It's very Qweeg suitable I think.

Darkstar
06-01-2004, 17:57:24
I have always presumed that Qweeg is a character in the Illuminatus Trilogy.

RedFred
06-01-2004, 18:58:06
Lem can be a great writer. But a couple of his books including the one you read can only be appreciated if you are a reader behind the old Iron Curtain who can appreciate a vicious parody of the Soviet era system. In those days you couldn't be very direct in your political critiques unless you liked going to jail.

Try Pirx the Pilot, More Tales of Pirx or The Chain of Chance. I recently reread Pirx and More Pirx. They are both pretty good.

The best thing about a Lem novel is that you never know if it is going to come to a conventional ending like in Chain of Chance or a vague, not much resolved kind of ending like in Solaris.

Qweeg
07-01-2004, 11:40:26
Funko, I beleive I started to read a big massive book called the Illuminatus Trilogy, but it descended into nonsense so often I gave up. Although that doesn't mean I'm not a character from the Illuminatus Trilogy:coolgrin:

Qweeg suitable books are coherant, and continue to make sense throughout, sometimes strictly in their own terms but- sense. They go like this:

start, middle, end,

or

flashback, start, flashback, end, flashback, middle,

or

end, flashback, middle, flashback, flashforward, end.

Along the way character a thinks this, so does this, and character b thinks that, and does that, and alien-machine c thinks the other, and does the other, and as a result- this, that and the other happen in this that and the other sequence producing this that or the other result.

Funkodrom
07-01-2004, 17:43:33
Originally posted by Qweeg
Funko, I beleive I started to read a big massive book called the Illuminatus Trilogy, but it descended into nonsense so often I gave up. Although that doesn't mean I'm not a character from the Illuminatus Trilogy:coolgrin:

It is coherent, but also nonsensical, it's structured but there isn't any structure either. It is amazing that it works at all but it does... I thought.

Debaser
07-01-2004, 17:55:25
Sounds bollocks.

Funkodrom
07-01-2004, 17:57:19
It's great.

RedFred
07-01-2004, 19:45:57
The Lem books I thought were crap were The Futuralogical Congress and Memoirs found in a Bathtub. Memoirs had so much stream of conciousness mumbo jumbo that I gave up reading part way through.

Vincent
07-01-2004, 20:56:27
I read a lot of Lem when I was 15 and now it's all on the attic.

Qweeg
08-01-2004, 12:45:17
All on the attic! :lol: :lol: :lol: