PDA

View Full Version : Master and Commander

BigGameHunter
05-01-2004, 16:08:49
Saw this Saturday night and enjoyed it immensely. It was a simple little tale about and English Naval ship during the Napoleonic Wars...very well done.
I'm sure Laz or some other pedant will point out that conditions on the vessel were much too bearable or some such, but I think that was part of the story: Crowe's character was a likeable and capable Captain of his men.
It was basically done in real time, so it didn't cover a very wide range of material, but what was shown seemed quite authentic and believeable for a period piece.
Also, made me like Crowe again, after thinking him a right twat...good acting, that.
4 1/2 BG's for this one out of 5.

jsorense
05-01-2004, 16:40:15
BHG,
Have you not read any of the 20 novels devoted to these characters?
There were some astonishing scenes, things I have never seen before.

BigGameHunter
05-01-2004, 16:48:02
No, but I plan on doing so now.
In fact, I had been struggling through a true life account from a similar era called "Mutiny on the Globe" and have returned to it based on this movie.
I don't know why, but stuff like this makes me want to learn to use a sextant and telescope and know how to tie knots and shit like that. I think that is the hallmark of a good period film.

Sean
05-01-2004, 16:54:24
What about Barry Lyndon, then?

jsorense
05-01-2004, 16:58:57
Originally posted by Sean
What about Barry Lyndon, then? That movie made me want to stand in a line with a lot of people in bright uniforms and get shot.

maroule
05-01-2004, 17:40:28
yes, Barry Lindon was stunning

on Master & C, just to fuss, it's quite unrealistic, and bordering on stupic, that the screenplayers (in the original book the ship was american apparently) called the french ship the 'Acheron' : it's one of the river of greek hell (hades) where mortal souls are ferried when they die. As there were a lot of superstitions in the french (and others) navy at that time, it's highly unlikely corsairs would have picked such a name.

but the movie is good apparently, will try to go see it this WE

BigGameHunter
05-01-2004, 18:15:50
They say some nasty stuff about Boney and really fuck up the French...can't imagine it's going to sell real well over there. :)
Filthy frogs...good thing they can swim. ;)

Barry Lyndon is one of my all time favorite historical films...second only to perhaps this one (much more epic though) and my number 1 fave everyone HAS to see, called "The Duellists" (more French stuff) with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine and some kick ass swordplay.

King_Ghidra
05-01-2004, 18:43:48
that reminds me, i must order the duellists on dvd

BigGameHunter
05-01-2004, 21:03:39
It's a great movie...make sure you're drunk and watch it with your grog drinking buddies.