Jon Miller part Deux
05-01-2004, 11:15:20
I am very happy to see that people here like her

she is one of my favorite modern Sci-Fi writers

my favorite books are

GATE OF IVREL
THE PALADIN
CYTEEN

I haven't read (this could be incorrect, I often read books and don't remember their titles)
SUNFALL
HESTIA
FORTY THOUSAND IN GEHENNA
CUCKOO'S EGG
VISIBLE LIGHT
GATES OF HELL
KINGS IN HELL
SOUL OF THE CITY
TROUBLED WATERS
SMUGGLER'S GOLD
DIVINE RIGHT
FLOOD TIDE
END GAME
GLASS AND AMBER
LEGIONS OF HELL
YVGENIE
LOIS & CLARK
DEFENDER
EXPLORER
PRECURSOR
and a lot of her shortstories and nonfiction

I didn't know that there was so many novels of hers I ahven't read, I have been pretty much reading everything of hers I have come across for a while now (well, sometimes I don't have the money to buy it)

I would say that the Fortress series was probably the most disappointing

Jon Miller

Jon Miller part Deux
05-01-2004, 11:25:01
while I lot of people like the foreigner series, I must say that I found Morgaine series (technically sci fi, but reads like fantasy), a few of her stand alones, and the Merchanter universe to all be better

Jon Miller

RedFred
06-01-2004, 19:14:07
She has written a ton of books not in your list.

The Paladin was one of my top Cherryh picks as well. She has written some other great fantasy including the "Fortress" series. But you've already said that you didn't like those. The Pride of Chanur series especially the first book was top notch.

Her very early writing is high on violence and low on comprehensibility. But by the time of Wave without a Shore she was cranking out some great stuff. But I didn't like the psychic horse series or Mirovegen Nights (spelling is likely wrong) at all.

But her best stuff is essentially stand alone novels that are within the context of the Union / Alliance backdrop. Like Tripoint or Hellburner.

Jon Miller part Deux
07-01-2004, 13:41:04
the list I wrote were the ones of her books I have not read

I think that my list is complete, I took it from her site

so the ones I didn't write down, were ones I read

Jon Miller

Noisy
07-01-2004, 19:09:54
I find Cherryh boring. I've read the 'Faded Sun' trilogy and '40,000 in Gehenna'. Neither did anything for me, and they both had very weak endings.

RedFred
07-01-2004, 19:30:44
I'd have to agree that the Faded Sun series was weaker than most of her other stuff. Its been a long time since I've read 40,000 - maybe 20 years - but I did enjoy it at the time. Everyone has different tastes though.

Sean
07-01-2004, 19:31:37
Of the books I read, I never really felt that the ending mattered too much.

RedFred
07-01-2004, 19:39:38
...and I misunderstood your list jm. I'd recommend either 40,000 or Cuckoo's egg as your next choice.

Incidently Ms. Cherryh is one of the few SF writers I've met. She was at a science fiction convention in Edmonton when I lived up there during the '80s. She seemed confined to a wheelchair but it is not clear to me if she is paralysed or if this was just some strange idea by the organizers to put her in a wheelchair to see what reaction it would garner. I didn't ask, it seemed impolite to.

At the convention people were pronouncing her last name 'chair' or 'chairir' but I later learned 'cherry' is correct. Her last name is Cherry but the H got added in as a bit of a pen name when she started writing.

Sean
07-01-2004, 19:40:33
It says that on her website, too.

RedFred
07-01-2004, 19:47:17
What? It talks about an SF convention from back in the '80s? ;)

Sean
07-01-2004, 20:06:23
Yes. She mentions how much she enjoyed meeting you, whoever you are.

Rodgers
08-01-2004, 13:02:36
Originally posted by RedFred
But her best stuff is essentially stand alone novels that are within the context of the Union / Alliance backdrop. Like Tripoint or Hellburner.

I rate "Rimrunners" as one of the best of that sort (despite it's unfortunate title) - nice gritty characters and situations, I especially liked the insight it gives into combat methods in the U/A universe. Too many Sci-fi stories do the same as action films and show amateurs using military-grade weapons with ease and success, whereas here she recognises how tough it would actually be to do so. I reckon she gets the tech stuff spot on there.

Jon Miller part Deux
08-01-2004, 13:16:49
yah, I like those stand alones also

also here stand alone Fantasyish stuff, like Morgaine and Paladin

jon Miller