PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Resource Consumer
04-01-2004, 12:54:04
Hi Technoglowers,

Can I just pick your brains and canvass opinions.

I have just got back from Latvia where Mrs RC bought a computer for her father. Nothing flash but good enough for him. She also bought a printer at the same time.

Now, the comp comes with effectively no operating system. As I understood it, it has XP loaded but this will only function for 2 weeks so you need to cough up some serious dosh (for that part of the world) later.

So, Vasja, the local Mr fixit, had an idea. Why not install Win98 on the computer. (I had dropped out of the picture by this stage). Anyway, as far as I can work out he has tried to partition the drive with one running Win98 and the other XP (I don't think he tried to put 98 on top of XP - even if this is possible).

The result is that the comp now only seems to recognise 10GB of a 40GB drive and the remining 30GB has disappeared into a black hole. On top of that, the computer does not recognise the printer. It seems a little to me that the computer is fighting itself for its resources.

My temptation is to try and make some sort of recovery disk. Format c: and then reinstall Win98 as the sole operating system. I am, though, nervous about doing that here on my system let alone recommending someone at a distance to do that on their comp.

Does anyone here have any advice, experience and recommendations about what to do in this situation?

Funkodrom
04-01-2004, 13:03:28
"My temptation is to try and make some sort of recovery disk. Format c: and then reinstall Win98 as the sole operating system. I am, though, nervous about doing that here on my system let alone recommending someone at a distance to do that on their comp."

That's what I'd do.

zmama
04-01-2004, 13:11:59
I think your idea is probably the best. Blow it up and start new.
Don't envy you the long distance thing, though. :eek:

Jeratain
04-01-2004, 23:08:44
While you're at it I'd recommend re-partitioning the entire drive as well so that the entire 40 GB is used and not in this "black hole" you speak of ;)

Go with the format.

Deacon
05-01-2004, 01:18:59
98 can't read NTFS partitions. NTFS is the default filesystem used by XP, while 98 uses FAT. Now, if XP can't see the FAT partition, then that would be a problem.

Greg W
05-01-2004, 02:00:39
Either that, or grab another copy of XP (that doesn't require oodles of cash), and install over the old one.

Going reformat-install Win98 is probably the easiest way tho.

Asher
05-01-2004, 04:34:31
Originally posted by Jeratain
While you're at it I'd recommend re-partitioning the entire drive as well so that the entire 40 GB is used and not in this "black hole" you speak of ;)

Go with the format.
Yes, reformatting might not do it alone since the "black hole" is probably in another partition.

Repartition then reformat.

Resource Consumer
05-01-2004, 11:52:15
Thanks guys. What you advise makes sense to me.

Jon Miller part Deux
05-01-2004, 12:21:46
quick

someone offer some other advice

JUomMiller

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-01-2004, 20:16:52
Microsoft says you need to install the operating systems in order of age.

basically, if you're doing Win 98 and Win XP, you need to

(1) repartition your drives with the way you'd like them set up in the final outcome (in my case, I wanted 25Gig Win98/Fat32, 55 Gig WinXP/Data/NTFS)
(2) install Win 98, configure, setup etc.
(3) install Win XP, configure, setup etc.

The reason the order is important is because WinXP knows Win98 exists, and will, upon detecting the previous install, create a multi-boot MBR. Windows 98 cannot detect WindowsXP, especially if it's NTFS, and will install a single partition MBR, meaning you can't get at the XP partition without reinstalling it over itself.

This is what I had to do with my PC. When the Win98 partition screwed up last year, I had to reinstall it, then XP again.

It's a whole bunch of trouble getting it working just right if XP already exists on the drive. I'm wondering if a small Linux partition (with a boot floppy disk) would be better? You could probably use it to install LILO or GRUB or something if Microsoft destroys your MBR... Deacon'd know better that I would about that.

Deacon
06-01-2004, 17:30:05
While I like dual booting, it sounds like XP won't be missed, so it'd be simpler to wipe out everything and install 98. Unless there's data on the 10GB C: partition that's not backed up. In that case, the two options are creating a backup and going ahead with the wipe, or wiping and re-formatting the non-FAT partition to FAT and then letting it appear as D: or E:.

johngalt
07-01-2004, 01:19:34
If the XP will not be missed, then go ahead with the Fdisk / reformat.

However, having used XP for 2 years, I would suggest you buy the copy of XP for local language and use it. it will be a far more stable environment and a lot harder for anyone to mess up as you can assign rights to the user level, preventing them from doing too much damage. In addition, there is also the system restore function, which is a good thing if you are a n00b and don't have much experience with HD clone / image software like Powerquest's Drive Image Pro or Norton Ghost. Also, XP will make a much better use of the file system running in an NTFS environment, which 98 is not made to run in.

What it comes down to more than anything else is this: what is her father going to use the machine for, and how much of a tendency will he have to break it?