PDA

View Full Version : Is the OST a dead artform?

Scabrous Birdseed
03-01-2004, 22:53:33
I've been wondering about this ever since I saw The Hours, brilliant film but the supposedly great soundtrack was absolutely wank and astoundingly intrusive in a cloying way. What irked me was that it was described as "minimalist" when it was anything but, plus that it was so... classical. Eeech.

This got me wondering- how come original sound tracks stopped developing along the lines of the concurrent popular music after the seventies? Where are the electro soundtracks, the minimalist electronica soundtracks, the breakbeat soundtracks? Possibly there are some pumping "techno" soundtracks, I dunno.

Theory one: the auteur movie is dead as are auteur sountrack makers, the new hollywood era is similar to the old hollywood era with cloying, constantly playing "background" soundtracks instead of distinctive, largely silent ones.

Theory two: The "easy rider" model of a soundtrack with just popular music is better.

Theory three (I read this in a book): music is constantly playing in our modern world. Therefore it is possible to make a soundtrack based entirely on background sounds- the car radio, jukeboxes, muzak, personal stereos, etc. You can even weave the songs into the story this way- think the Delfonics tape in Jackie Brown.

Debaser
03-01-2004, 23:44:44
While many would dismiss it as the pretentious musings of a vain motherfucker, I quite like Vincent Gallo's score for Buffalo 66.

Sean
04-01-2004, 00:03:51
I’ve got some minimalist electronica sountracks.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-01-2004, 00:24:24
So have I. Scabby? You aren't making sense.