PDA

View Full Version : Mike - hope you enjoy 'The Left Hand of Darkness'!

Noisy
18-02-2002, 17:25:45
It's a great book, so I'm sure that you will.

Pity Qweeg wasn't there to get the Moebius books ... :D

Funkodrom
18-02-2002, 20:36:08
Yeah, especially after you carried them all the way to London.

I'm reading Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami at the moment which is excellent. When I finish that I'll be straight onto Left Hand of Darkness. I'm sure I will enjoy it, thanks. I'll let you know what I think.

Spartak
18-02-2002, 21:13:14
Its a great book. As is Marrow.

Qweeg
22-02-2002, 14:52:31
Noisy, don't even joke about that- you did not bring the Mobius series to the meet and you know it, thats an extremely sadistic and cruel joke to attempt to play on me.:(
Forgive my absense though, i had no idea the meet was planned till the day it happened, the job i'm doings keepin me away (moby-phone sales) and i still havent wired up in The Machine in the new place yet (recently moved you see)

I finnished the Left Hand today as a matter of fact, great book you were right, sad and beutiful and unmistakably a classic. I've also read The Dispossessed, Planet of Exile and The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula, and of them all i think i enjoyed The Lathe of Heaven and The Dispossessed most of all- purely of personal taste though, Ursula is a remarkably consistant writer quality wise, (and also quite prolific) i dunno what her many other works are like but i want to check out all the stuff based in her Hainish universe for sure.

I saw a saying in Left Hand that i've also seen in the L E Modesitt Jnr book The Parafaith War which i thought was quite interesting, i think the character that says the legend in that story actually quotes LeGuin- quite a homage, the saying is:

To oppose is to maintain

I like it, that saying is quite true i think, up there with some of Sun Tzu and Machiavellis utterances, applicable in both philosophy and military strategy- or maybe i'm just talking out of my PC again:D

Qweeg, currently without voice. Laryngitis for the second time in my life.

Noisy
23-02-2002, 12:17:21
Am I that transparent? :D We missed you at the meeting. :(

Sorry about your laryngitis - hope you get better soon.

Funkodrom
25-02-2002, 10:08:53
Started reading LHoD this morning. Already got two things to think about. Cool.

Funkodrom
04-03-2002, 10:31:51
I finished it when I was ill. An excellent book. Thanks Noisy. :D

Not sure it was the best thing to read when I was feeling cold though. ;)

Noisy
04-03-2002, 11:37:33
Glad you enjoyed it. It's one of those books that I am reluctant to re-read, in case it isn't as good as I remember it. I just want to keep the satisfaction of having read it as the prevailing memory, rather than the story itself.

Funkodrom
04-03-2002, 11:39:01
I think it's probably as good as you remember it being if that's any comfort. :D

RedFred
18-03-2002, 22:00:06
If you liked Lathe of Heaven, you should check out the movie. I am guessing that it is about twenty years old now, but it wasn't bad.