PDA

View Full Version : Vivendi to Destroy MP3.com archive

zmama
27-11-2003, 21:21:27
A bit of a countergeek story but music, too.

As of December 3rd (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/11/21/14616/561)

Musicians received this announcement on Friday. "Your personal information, music, images, related content or other information will not be transferred to CNET Networks, Inc. or any other third party... Please note, however, that promptly following the removal of the MP3.com website, all content will be deleted from our servers and all previously submitted tapes, CD-ROMs and other media in our possession will be destroyed. We recommend that you make alternative content hosting arrangements as soon as practicable."

:rolleyes: :mad:
:shoot: :bash: :shoot:

Funkodrom
28-11-2003, 11:40:34
Yeah, I got an e-mail about that 'cause The Unholy were signed up to it. Frankly, as an artist, the whole setup was really quite shit unless you paid.

Was great to find music on though, I got some great stuff from there.

Vincent Fandango
28-11-2003, 20:23:07
That's Arse Vivendi!

You could do unlimited uploads 3 years ago, they only checked the contents and the copyrights. I published LM over there before the LM site started.
The "premium artist service" ($10/month) messed it up, first you got delegated to 2. class artists, then limited to 3 uploads only. The supadupa stadion professionals were releasing outtakes and live stuff, so the amateurs got killed in the end.

I liked the idea and I spent a lot of time at mp3.com to find cool unknown artists, and they had a lot.

zmama
28-11-2003, 20:27:12
Yeah, and it was actually legal and stuff! We have afew cds we bought from there of some pretty weird stuff, not commercial at all. Damn

Vincent Fandango
28-11-2003, 20:30:34
Again great idea dies because of THE MONEY :(
All hail the charts!

zmama
28-11-2003, 20:33:21
No more, "Welcome back Mr. Pants" or "Your Brain fell out" :cry: