PDA

View Full Version : Combat Mission Africa Corps goes gold!

Beta1
20-11-2003, 10:14:47
Yep its official. BTS will be shipping CMAK from 5th Dec.

Theres also a CMAK demo at

http://www.battlefront.com/

Interestingly CDV reckon they will ship 28th november so we Euro types may get it first :)

LoD
20-11-2003, 11:21:36
Oh, I know what I want for my birthday!

Venom
20-11-2003, 13:09:07
Charm, Charisma, good looks?

MDA
20-11-2003, 13:48:58
A bearded avatar?

Venom
20-11-2003, 14:27:55
Her avatar may have a bear. Those lines on the bottom are beard like.

MDA
20-11-2003, 15:44:31
One of the demo sources tried to make me to install P2P software just to get the demo. I'm glad gamespy didn't.

BigGameHunter
20-11-2003, 16:49:02
What the hell does "gone gold" mean?
And those of you who don't have it, should consider getting the CMBB bundle pack that sends with the CMAK game.

I may hold off for a while...haven't had much time to play anything, not even with myself.

maroule
20-11-2003, 16:50:25
the final, tested, 'gold' version is out, so all they need now is to copy the beauty and ship it

Venom
20-11-2003, 17:29:10
I'm holding off on this one. They're not prying any more money out of me until CM2 comes out.

Beta1
20-11-2003, 23:15:37
I'm getting a mate with broadband to download it tonight (hopefully)

LoD
21-11-2003, 00:57:54
Originally posted by Venom
Charm, Charisma, good looks?

Nah, already have enough of those. I may need some more self-esteem, judging by what I did immediately after I discovered the fallback foxhole placement option...

Venom
21-11-2003, 01:03:28
You dork.

Darkstar
21-11-2003, 03:47:41
:lol:!

maroule
21-11-2003, 07:55:15
:lol:
just started this first scenarii yesterday, but I can't bring myself to play the AI anymore

Beta1
21-11-2003, 10:49:09
Send me a setup file then - I should have the demo this evening.

maroule
21-11-2003, 11:57:36
deal
this time I leave you the attackers
do you want to attack with US troops or germans?

Beta1
21-11-2003, 13:12:13
Looking at the whats in the demo the Frühlingswind scenario looks like fun as its in the tunisia. I'll take whoever is attacking in that one then.

Am fairly busy this weekend so you may not get a reply till sunday.

maroule
21-11-2003, 14:43:09
no trouble
will send you the set up
I'll be out for 8 days, starting the 1st december

MDA
21-11-2003, 16:33:56
Played both scenarios as defender. The AI still can't attack well, but it only lost 75:25 in the desert.

I like the tank hunter teams, but they're damnably hard to use.
I did manage to kill a Sherman that I had shocked with an AT gun (I assume it was shocked, it had been just sitting there in the open without firing for a full minute, then it moved backward a few meters when I first hit it with the tank team, the second hit frightened the crew out.

Is their use of grenade bundles vs. pf-30s prioritized in any way?

Ammo was much more of a problem than I generally have in BO, as well.

The death clock thing is hard to adjust to. My 'shreck team probably wasted half his ammo thumping tanks that were already dead. If there were three tanks within fifty meters of me, I would put a round into each of them before I started doubling up. Then again, maybe I wouldn't be thinking that clearly in the heat of battle. Its different, and will take a lot of getting used to.

Beta1
23-11-2003, 21:20:31
in BB the grenade bundles were far more effective than the pf30s so I guess the tacAI is just going for the best kill chance.

Beta1
24-11-2003, 10:38:25
Yeah I wasnt expecting much change from the AI.

Those Grants are tough though. In the desert scenario I must have fired upwards of 40 rounds from my p3s befor getting any kills.

In fact I dont think I killed any from the front. If it wasnt for the AI trying to turn and engage both flanks at once with the same tank I dont think I would have killed any with my original plan of standing off at 800m and hailing AP rounds from 15 tanks onto 2-3 grants. In the end I had to use the dunes to close to around 300 where I could manuever for the flank shots.

Compared to them the shermans were a push over - was getting frontal penetration pretty easily. I won that scenario prett convincingly - allied surrender on around turn 30 of 40 with only the suprise appearance of a AT gun forward of their main line causing any problems.

I suspect if I used the p3s speed and closed earlier I could have won inside 20 turns - the allied infantry had very little effect against the P3s.

Havnt tried the Italy scenario yet.

A little dissapointed with the graphics but then CM has always been a case of chooseing the mods you like rather than the ones that come with it.

I do like this game a lot though already. The new HTs with big guns for the allies look cool. No armor protection but its nice to have the mobile 75mm guns. The 28-20mm squeeze bore HTs for the axis are nice too. I always liked that gun from BB (the weapon is the 20mm heavy AT rifle you see in BB near the beggining of the war. Its about the only light gun of any use against a T34). OK so you cant hide this one quite so easily but the mobility makes it more survivable.

maroule
24-11-2003, 11:29:35
sorry Beta, no time to play tCMAK, I'm engaged in 4 tournaments at the same time and I see the point where playing CM will become like a job :(

Beta1
24-11-2003, 12:11:52
Thats cool. I just got turns from the others anyway :)

MDA
24-11-2003, 16:02:48
Without spoiling anything, I hope... if you rush forward into the correct spaces, you can kill the allied tanks fairly quickly. I did lose about 3 tanks to infantry attacks, which surprised me. The AT guns in that scenario are hard to kill.

Grants are damn tough tanks. Green crews are jumpy and tend to show their flanks or back out from behind cover without orders, though. I've never seen that in BO.

Beta1
24-11-2003, 16:17:15
They do seem a bit like panthers - impenetrable from the front but very vunerable from the sides. I actually think they would be far more dangerous in areas with more cover where they could hide their sides better.

Yeah I killed the grants by moving foward in the end although I seemed to scare the shit out of one which reversed off the map. Its about time BTS provided a grided terrain option as standard though - the desert texture makes it hard to see any low ridges - and that map looks flat but is actually full of cover.

I forgot to move the TRP out of the oasis but the arty seems far more responsive than in BB, turned up on target every time I used it and wasted one of the AT guns and a sherman fairly easily...

MDA
24-11-2003, 16:24:34
I found a good non-gridded one for BO, you can see the differences in elevation better on snow or grass, but there are no grid lines.

Someone will hopefully mod something similar for CMAK.

Beta1
24-11-2003, 16:54:46
Maybe I should dust off my copy of paintshop pro.

Adding a 1 pixel border around each of the terrain BMPs shouldnt be that tricky.

How geeky. I'm contemplating modding the demo version...

MDA
24-11-2003, 17:08:22
How geeky. Can I have them when you're finished? :p

Actually, I'll probably have this finished before my lunch is over. I'll let you know how it looks.

You only have to do two borders and paste it onto each terrain bmp as far as I can tell.

MDA
24-11-2003, 18:50:40
Mod complete. Easy. I just looked at how it was done on a CMBB set, made an identical grid (64 pixel-on-a-side squares), and pasted it onto each of the bmp files. Anyone interested can PM me, and I'll send you the modded BMP files in a zip. Its not subtle gridding, but its functional. Other terrain features tend to obscure parts of the grid, but I think that's normal.

MDA
24-11-2003, 18:55:50
:nerdgrin:

maroule
24-11-2003, 19:00:51
clap clap bravo!
send it with your next file
cheers

Beta1
25-11-2003, 10:19:00
Nice one - can I have it too please :)

MDA
25-11-2003, 16:06:03
Sent. I have an idea for a new banner ad on battlefront.

"Modding CM is so easy a fuckwit can do it."

Vehicle mods appear to be far more difficult than flat tiles.

Beta1
25-11-2003, 16:25:43
you should post your one on battlefront.

MDA
25-11-2003, 16:32:32
Not a bad idea. I'll float it over there and see if anyone is willing to host it. Any ideas on what kind of permission you need before you publicly distribute a mod?

Nav
25-11-2003, 22:35:34
ooh ooh send me that file too. will at logicbox dot net. cheers.

Finally trying to get into this game.. Any tips on dealing with infantry? The fuckers don't seem to die despite massive tank barrages. (and running them over doesnt work either.. damn :))

LoD
25-11-2003, 22:58:44
Yes. One tip - use your own grunts :p...
Artillery is a big help as well.

Nav
25-11-2003, 23:05:46
I did try but in my first game I failed to take out a enemy position early on and they were completely pinned down.

Seems grunts have a mind of their own in this game! :)

LoD
25-11-2003, 23:24:31
Took you short enough to figure that out ;)...
Anyway, keep in mind that grunts don't feel too good when their HQ is too far away (black line, ie. no C&C) or dead. And prior to attacking, pin the enemy down first.

Beta1
26-11-2003, 10:14:43
Funny I dont seem to have much problem dealing with infantry with tanks!

One problem you sometimes run into is if the enemy is in cover and you shoot at him he ducks down and hides - the tank then loses LOS and goes after something else. Then the original guy recovers and pops back up again. The answer to this is to area target the ground/foxhole where the target is. That way the tank keeps whacking HE into the area for the whole turn. Normally a sherman firing HE into an area like this will rout any infantry squad in a turn. Then you just need a handy MG/squad in order to keep them running. You can even do this when you just have an infantry? marker if your sure the target is still there but hiding - I just did that to MDA in our current game. Its amazing what a few rounds of 90mm HE will do. I'm now area targeting almost as much as "proper targeting"

You can also do this with infantry squads to make sure the enemoes heads stay down although it is rather heavy on ammo useage.

MDA
26-11-2003, 18:20:53
OK, the grid terrain has now been posted at www.cmmods.com. CMAK demo mods are being posted int the CMBO section for now. They also have hexed terrain, but I haven't tried it yet.

The site owner appears to be here in Columbus, but it ain't me. Maybe I should phone the guy up and yell "chew on this pineapple, Fritz!" and hang up.

You can't get away with that, now that we have caller ID. Ah, the good old days.

Beta1
26-11-2003, 18:39:07
LOL that would be hilarious.

I love the american voice in CMAK that seems to shout "boo-yaa!!!" when an axis tank gets KOed.

The CMBO "Stick that in your pipe!" always has me in stiches too.

All this russian stuff just isnt half as funny.

MDA
26-11-2003, 20:32:29
They're nearly as humorless as the Germans, and with a fatalist streak to boot. :)

mmm. Ivanova.

King_Ghidra
27-11-2003, 12:47:09
I downloaded the demo of this last night.

I installed it and started up the first demo map as axis

after laughing at the graphics for about 15 minutes i moved some stuf forwards and got the shit blown out of me by what looked like some tanks.

my reinforcements turned up (some crappy half tracks) and i moved them forwards and they got blown up by the tanks as well.

i dd target something with my spotter but i couldn't work out if i fired anything i not.

Then i quit.

Think i'll have another go this evening.

Beta1
27-11-2003, 13:39:48
Sounds like a pretty standard first game of CM!

A few tips for playing the desert map:

1: You will have more tanks than the yanks. Wait for them to arrive before attacking. Better to have 15 on 5 than three lots of 5 on 5.

2: When waiting for the tanks to turn up do some scouting. - note this does not mean driving your armored car to the top of the hill and seeing what shoots it. Look for the high points on your ridge where theres some cover provided by some rough/rocky ground. Try to get a couple of units with binoculors up there (eg section/platoon HQs). Getting some MGs up there early on will be useful too. For any scouts set a very short covered arc to stop them firing and giving their position away. You could hide them but that makes them much less effective at spotting targets. Try advancing on of your recon platoons over the ridge with "advance to contact and hide" orders. These should march over the top until they see something (or get shot at) and then hit the deck where due to the range they should be safe. Any tanks that fire at them should give there position away fairly quickly.

3: Look for the dead ground - the desert looks fairly flat at first but if you use the gridded terrain (or change the view point to level 1) you should see theres a few low ridges with areas behind them the yanks cant see (and therefore cant shoot). Use these to get you infantry forward. The dried up river bed/rocky canyon bit is a good way of getting across the first 100m or so.

4: Dont try and engage all the enemy tanks at once. Try and get 3-5 of yours on one of his. But if your fighting the grants dont expect to kill them from the front at range. You will probably need to take 2 platoons of tanks in close (2-300m) and ideally at different angles to get flank shots. On the bright side he has a only a very low chance of KOing you at 400+m.

5: Move the TRP and put it somewhere useful - I have never encountered enemy near the oasis. Stick it in the cemetry or the next fenced area across then you can drop your 105s on an area where the US infantry is much more likley to be.

If all these dont work try giving yourself +25% troops on the start up map.

Dont be tempted to play without fog of war though - everyone plays with it on full or extreme. Especially as it turns of the fog of war for the AI too...

MDA
01-12-2003, 14:45:07
Just an addendum to Beta's advice - you can use your 81mm FO to lay smoke over areas your infantry is likely to take fire- especially that ridge above the brush on the right side (as axis) of your front. allow some extra time after when the smoke rounds arrive before crossing the gap- it takes awhile for the smoke to brew up.

potential spoiler...

I sent two platoons of tanks up the left, along with about 2/3 of my infantry- one through to near the end of the brush (there's a little ridge there), and one on the extreme left edge (gamey to use the map edge to protect your flank, but I think we all do it). This worked well for clearing out the enAmis next to the roadhouse. The AI may try to redeploy other forces in that direction, and if you have the other platoon of tanks in a good position, you can whittle away at them while they run.