PDA

View Full Version : Football books

Sean
19-11-2003, 01:07:02
Read two recently:

Ajax, the Dutch, the War by Simon Kuper. Good, if patchy and a little unfocused, book that attempts to cover Jews in the Netherlands, Dutch culture, the Netherlands in the War, football in the War, Jews in the war, Ajax and Jews now, Ajax and Jews in the War, and probably others. Some good coverage of the English game during the war, as well as a fair chunk of criticism for the Dutch. There’s also a nice story about a Strasbourg player and French international who refused to play for Germany.

Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos. What a fucking disappointment. It’s too long, and manages to make interesting stories really boring by dint of uninteresting writing. The best chapters are the ones about the Indians, the Brazilians in the Faroes, and Garrincha. Even the latter of those three got bogged down in places.

Going to start on Tor! soon, which should be good.

King_Ghidra
19-11-2003, 11:19:04
what?!?! I loved Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life!

too long, what are you the mtv kid or something?

and didn't you like the glass bead game, jesus you waded through that and found futebol boring?!

i reccomend The Miracle of Castel di Sangro and Passovotchka too

Sean
19-11-2003, 12:26:35
I was considering the former, hadn’t heard of the latter.

The problem with FTBWOL is that Bellos takes a funny anecdote, say Autoball, and then subjects the reader to mind-numbingly tedious interviews with the creators. It reads like a very hastily-edited version of his notes.

Resource Consumer
26-11-2003, 14:07:13
I can recommend "Left Foot in the Grave" by Gary Nelson. The everyday story of a struggling football manager. Well written, humorous and, believe it or not, thought proviking.

Sean
26-11-2003, 15:34:45
Ah, I think I meant to get that one having read a short story by (I think) Brian Glanville, but never got round to it.