PDA

View Full Version : So did the memory injection work?

Colon
12-11-2003, 20:58:13
I have a comp with 128MB RAM and I stuffed an additional 128MB in it. I'm not sure if it's actually working because The system overview tells me I still have 128MB. Is there something I need to change to the config perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Sir Penguin
12-11-2003, 21:20:00
You shouldn't have to change anything in Windows.

What does it say when it's counting the memory immediately after you turn it on? Are the memory modules the same speed?

SP

Colon
12-11-2003, 21:55:32
Well, on the very first screen it tells me I have 32MB RAM, as used to be the case. (but I assume that's not the thing you're asking after) On the second screen I have a "memory testing" right beneath the CPU speed, that tells me I have slightly more than 130,000 K.

Sir Penguin
12-11-2003, 22:09:00
Putting the new module in another RAM socket (if you have one) might help.

SP

johngalt
12-11-2003, 23:45:24
First check your BIOS to see if it is reporting the new amount correctly or not. Oftentimes if the BIOS is not reporting it correctly, then the RAM is not being recognized, and yet is still receiving power and thus heating things up in the system.

Another slot might be a good idea, and cleaning out that particular slot may not be a bad idea, especially if you only have 2 slots.

If after all this your system only recognizes 128 MB, then your next step is to get some specs on the mobo - specifically, what is the max amount of memory it supports, and what sort of configuration it needs to have the chips in.

Finally, you need to make sure not only that the speeds match, but also that they are the same types - I.E. EDO / versus ECC / unbuffered, etc.

Another thing to try may be to reverse the orientation of the 2 sticks - put the first one in slot 2 and the second in slot one - sometimes that helps problems with compatibility between sticks.

HTH.

Let us know if ya need more help.

Colon
13-11-2003, 17:43:29
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
Putting the new module in another RAM socket (if you have one) might help.

SP

I tried, but the system still displays 128 megs.

There are little hooks above and beneath the socket. I suppose I have to plug those into the little dents on both sides of the bar, but I can't do it because the dents aren't at the correct place. Could this be the reason? (yes, I pushed the card real well into the socket, in case you're wondering)

Colon
13-11-2003, 17:50:46
Originally posted by johngalt
First check your BIOS to see if it is reporting the new amount correctly or not. Oftentimes if the BIOS is not reporting it correctly, then the RAM is not being recognized, and yet is still receiving power and thus heating things up in the system.

Where in the BIOS do I have to check this?

Another slot might be a good idea, and cleaning out that particular slot may not be a bad idea, especially if you only have 2 slots.

I'll try.

If after all this your system only recognizes 128 MB, then your next step is to get some specs on the mobo - specifically, what is the max amount of memory it supports, and what sort of configuration it needs to have the chips in.

Mobo = Mother-board? The sales-man said so. The shop where I bought the RAM has been the supplier of choice for years so I tend to believe him.

Finally, you need to make sure not only that the speeds match, but also that they are the same types - I.E. EDO / versus ECC / unbuffered, etc.

Eh what? How? Sorry, you lost me there. :)

Another thing to try may be to reverse the orientation of the 2 sticks - put the first one in slot 2 and the second in slot one - sometimes that helps problems with compatibility between sticks.

Ok, I'll try.

HTH.

Let us know if ya need more help.

Ok, thanks.

zmama
13-11-2003, 17:55:29
Sounds like you might not be using the right kind of ram for your motherboard. It would fit if you were.

Venom
13-11-2003, 18:01:06
Yeah, forget all that techno mumbjo jumob, it sounds like it's not the right RAM.

Colon
13-11-2003, 18:10:10
Well, good and bad news.

First the good news, I did manage the plug it one of the sockets. (more exactly, the one in which the old one used to be plugged in) So I guess I did buy the right RAM. Heck, the memory card even works.

Here's the bad news: the old memory card died in flames in the process.

Venom
13-11-2003, 18:14:24
You idiot.

Colon
13-11-2003, 18:17:39
I plugged the old memory card in the third socket, which for someone reason, like socket #2 is a lot less 'pluggable', than socket #1. (I really had to twist and push to finally get the hooks into the little dents)
After that I turned on my comp, nothing appeared on the screen, and I pretty quickly smelled something burned, which turned out to be the old memory card.
I don't really get how it could happen, everything appeared to be correct until I turned on my comp.

It looks a bit brown now. Do you think it's safe to try to plug it in again, and see if it works this time? (guess not)

Colon
13-11-2003, 18:19:43
Originally posted by Venom
You idiot.

:cry:

Venom
13-11-2003, 18:26:00
Although lighting your computer on fire is cool.

Colon
13-11-2003, 18:39:02
It would if it only had happened.

On a second thought, the situation of my old memory card doesn't look all that bad. It heated up pretty much, so the sticker on it got burned, but wires and the like seem unaffected.

I'm willing to try again (on the socket #2), and I'll make sure to have a digicam with me in case there's some real firework.

zmama
13-11-2003, 18:41:47
There are some people that shouldn't try to fix their computers themselves, the "let's force it if it doesn't fit" brigade comes to mind.
I think another member of the brigade has been found. :rolleyes:

Colon
13-11-2003, 18:52:05
It's not like this is the first time I've installed new hardware you know. And please, leave the rolleyes would you?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-11-2003, 19:19:32
Congratulations, you've upgraded your PC to 128MB of RAM :rolleyes:

:D

Seriously, check the other socket to make sure you haven't damaged it, or managed to cross-connect some of the metal pin contacts or something. It might screw up your mobo.

If you really want to give your old memory card a test, take out the new one and plug the old one in. If the PC works, the RAM works, though it might not be 100% - I had a 64MB RAM card that dropped down to 56MB but kept working (I'm guessing one of the chips went bad).

Colon
13-11-2003, 21:00:55
I plugged the old card into the second socket and it worked. Got 262,000K on my memory testing. I guess the previous fuck-up happened because of the electricity circulation. (going through the second, empty socket, to the third, or something like that)

The next problem I'm now having is that the OS config apparently needs to be changed... :bash:

Colon
13-11-2003, 21:11:57
So yes, I keep fucking up. I think I'll make a phone call and scream for help to my local IT-hero, instead of keep on bothering you with it. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Serial Love Rat
13-11-2003, 22:16:00
Originally posted by Colon
The next problem I'm now having is that the OS config apparently needs to be changed... :bash:
I assume you are getting some on screen message telling you this? If so, what does it say?

AFAIK you shouldn't need to do anything to the OS, especially as your PC has recognised that the new RAM is actually there

Colon
13-11-2003, 22:52:41
Yes, I get a message but since it only remains on the screen for a short time I couldn't write it down entirely. It says something like this:
IxD-dynamix call ... device nr 3, service B ... yiddy yadda ... no code/patch RAM below 4 MB

I also got an error message related to my soundcard, but I fixed that easily by removing a code in my config.sys. (which is included because my soundcard wouldn't work otherwise)

PS: for the record, windows won't load when I have 256 megs installed. DOS works fine though.

Sir Penguin
13-11-2003, 23:25:41
Just get a typewriter.

SP

Serial Love Rat
13-11-2003, 23:30:35
Originally posted by Colon
for the record, windows won't load when I have 256 megs installed. DOS works fine though.
:hmm: Windows should be working *better* with more RAM, not crashing (but there again it is windows). May be worth going for a re-install of the OS if you're comfortable with how to do that

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
14-11-2003, 00:05:09
Time to upgrade your PC around your new memory :D

Serial Love Rat
14-11-2003, 00:08:04
Just make sure you get a brand spanking new motherboard, preferably one that is incompatible with your existing RAM :p

Venom
14-11-2003, 01:20:25
It's not Windows 95 is it?

johngalt
14-11-2003, 03:45:34
OK, so reversing the RAM actually made it work. good.

As far as the OS goes, that is going to be tricky - because if it is still seeing only 128, then it is being *told* that there is only 128 MB RAM in th machine.

If the OS is Win 9X/ME, I have to dig really hard to find an answer, but if the OS is NT/2K/XP then I should have a relatively quick solution for you.

Scratch that. If I had read a bit more carefully, then I would have realized that it is not NT based, since you said it can boot into DOS just fine.

I'd search the M$ Knowledge Base articles - it's been so long since I used any of the Win 9X series that I cannot find the answer, but I recall something like that happening in Win 95.

Hell, here's a quick fix - reinstall windows over itself, without formatting the drive - that way you won't lose any of your installed programs and settings, and hopefully while installing Win9X should see the new RAM and readjust itself to suit the parameters.

Colon
15-11-2003, 17:16:54
I have Windows 98 and I tried to reinstall it. (after having to change the BIOS to boot up from the CD-rom, as I couldn't access the drive from DOS) However, I get an error message during the setup...

I think I'm first going to reinstall Windows again when having only 128 megs plugged in. (so it will work for sure) The OS already seemed a little messed up before all this stuff.

Humanity shall prevail over computers!

Colon
15-11-2003, 17:46:47
It seems my old memory card did got screwed during my previous installation fuck-up. I can't boot the comp when only that one is plugged in.

Bah!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Venom
15-11-2003, 18:27:40
Will you make up your damn mind?

Asher
15-11-2003, 22:24:51
Belgians and anything but chocolate do not mix.

The Mad Monk
11-12-2003, 08:17:38
What about beer?