PDA

View Full Version : New Dream Theater Album


Caligastia
12-11-2003, 17:38:00
"Train of Thought" was just released yesterday. I've given it a couple of listens and like what I hear, but of course this kind of music takes more than a few listens to get into.

Is anyone else here into Dream Theater?

Click here (http://media.dreamtheater.net/audio/Dream_Theater-As_I_Am.mp3) to listen to the first single "As I Am" and tell me what you think.

Caligastia
12-11-2003, 18:19:08
I see the views going up but no replies...just listen and tell me what you think.

Funkodrom
12-11-2003, 18:48:30
I like what I've heard of them generally.

Caligastia
12-11-2003, 18:48:58
What did you think of "As I Am"?

Funkodrom
12-11-2003, 19:01:53
Was just downloading it. It's not quite as... overblown and orchestral as some of their other stuff. Bit more... well, normal for want of a better word.

But I've only heard a few songs.

Caligastia
12-11-2003, 19:13:51
Apparently this album written and recorded in a shorter time than usual. I don't mind that they trimmed back on some of the overblown stuff. Ten minutes of 'widdly widdly' is not my idea of a good listen.

johngalt
12-11-2003, 23:22:05
I fell in love with them with Pull Me Under, with that double bass drum pounding on the chorus.

I have a really good friend in Middle Ga who is rather talented musically (plays several instruments, including (but not limited to) guitar, bass, drums, piano, and sax) who loves DT more than I - I am sure he has all of the albums in his collection.

Noisy
12-11-2003, 23:53:05
I bought a Dream Theater album ('Images and Words') on recommendation. Theoretically it should have been right up my street - overblown pomp rock. However, it sounded more like a pastiche than music done with real heart.

Given that Funko says this isn't as "overblown and orchestral", I might give it a go.

Funkodrom
13-11-2003, 08:45:32
"it sounded more like a pastiche"

I know what you mean.

Nills Lagerbaak
13-11-2003, 10:56:47
Originally posted by Caligastia
"Train of Thought" was just released yesterday. I've given it a couple of listens and like what I hear, but of course this kind of music takes more than a few listens to get into.

Is anyone else here into Dream Theater?

Click here (http://media.dreamtheater.net/audio/Dream_Theater-As_I_Am.mp3) to listen to the first single "As I Am" and tell me what you think.

From what I've heard I have mixed feelings. Some of their songs are absolute genious (the ones where they go easy on the singing and keyboard solos...e.g. "the Mirror") Some of them are amazingly cheesy. But contained within the hours of guitar solos, there are some of the best solos/riffs I have ever heard.

Debaser
13-11-2003, 11:11:44
That Mp3 sounds like a lame Alice in Chains/Metallica pastiche, with a terrible weedy voiced singer. The soloing rubbish, just endless fast scales. They should stick to prog-metal (not that I'd listen to that either).

Morte
13-11-2003, 11:55:24
Ahhhh...Prog...I Loves prog me.

(Although Spocks Beard wee on Dream Theatre)


(Runs away)...

Asher
13-11-2003, 17:50:46
My son is also named Morte...

Immortal Wombat
13-11-2003, 19:46:26
What's your apprentice called then?

Caligastia
13-11-2003, 20:38:57
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
From what I've heard I have mixed feelings. Some of their songs are absolute genious (the ones where they go easy on the singing and keyboard solos...e.g. "the Mirror") Some of them are amazingly cheesy. But contained within the hours of guitar solos, there are some of the best solos/riffs I have ever heard.

Yeah, that sounds about right.:bounce:

johngalt
14-11-2003, 03:34:56
yup - that pretty much sums up all of their works to dat - but I am still forever a Pull Me Under fan.

Morte
14-11-2003, 17:57:28
I can never get past the vocalist in DT...I appreciate their muscianship and they do produce some crackingly crafted compositions...but then what's his face starts up and I find it detracts from the music.

They really need someone with a bit of 'bottom end' in their vocals....cue arse jokes.

Noisy
14-11-2003, 21:02:48
:brwncard:

Noisy
14-11-2003, 21:08:23
Originally posted by Morte
Ahhhh...Prog...I Loves prog me.

(Although Spocks Beard wee on Dream Theatre)


(Runs away)... I have the Progressive channel on Radio@Netscape as my default.

Caligastia
14-11-2003, 21:55:47
Originally posted by Noisy
I have the Progressive channel on Radio@Netscape as my default.

What do you think of DT's new one then?