PDA

View Full Version : I should be shot, but ...

Lurker
06-11-2003, 20:52:41
I should be shot for even knowing this forum exists, but what the hell. Iím trying to install Windows XP on a newly built computer and donít get very far in the installation process before I get the following error message: "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4." Any idea what this gibberish means or what the hell I should do about it?

Venom
06-11-2003, 20:56:22
It means you're fucked. Go back to Windows 95.

Or if I had to really be helpful I'd say something about setting up XP with maybe your video card is hosed.

Chris
06-11-2003, 21:02:07
Your so lazy Lurker, learn to google it.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1052491435

Looks like bad news, BTW.

Lurker
06-11-2003, 21:04:08
Well try to be helpful. Maybe I'll send you a donut.

Venom
06-11-2003, 21:05:07
The self proclaimed lazy one goes out and searches for info for Lurker? Bizarre!

Lurker
06-11-2003, 21:11:37
I did google for error codes in general, hoping to find an index or something, but that didn't work. I didn't think to google the exact wording of the error.

Sounds like it could be anything.

Chris
06-11-2003, 21:22:34
Always try the obvious FIRST with Google.

So, did you build the PC yourself?

Chris
06-11-2003, 21:24:48
Originally posted by Venom
The self proclaimed lazy one goes out and searches for info for Lurker? Bizarre! I never miss an opprotunity to Mock Lurker, it's my one motivation.

Lurker
06-11-2003, 21:45:05
Yeah. Actually I built two. The first one was for a friend. I put it together first b/c I had ordered the wrong motherboard for mine, having changed my mind about the processor at the last minute and then forgetting to change the motherboard. The first one went pretty well, although I still need to get the sound working and tweak the graphics. But I didn't have any problems getting it to work generally or installing Windows.

My own machine has been another matter. The first boot (with just the AGP card) failed. I got some crazy lines and color on the monitor, but nothing else. I talked to the tech people at the graphics card manufacturer and they said it sounded like a bad card. So I returned it and got another card, and in fact upgraded to a Radeon 9800 Pro. Then that one didn't work at all. I didn't have another motherboard to test the card on, so I took everything to the place I bought them. We were able to determine the motherboard was the problem and I got a new one. That solved the problem, so I went ahead and installed the HD and CD drive. Now Windows won't install.

I've changed a few of the BIOS settings, but nothing that should matter. It is possible some of the default settings on things that I don't understand should be changed, but since I don't understand them.......

I'm going to retry it with only one memory card at a time in case that has something to do with it. Then I guess I'll unplug and replug all of the hardware.

What a pain.. .

Chris
06-11-2003, 21:48:15
I see you did take my advice and built yourself, saves a shitload of money, doesn't it?

BTW, that Radeon card is top notch, I just traded my 9600 for the 9800.

What processor did you go for, the Pentium 4 or the Athlon?

Lurker
06-11-2003, 21:54:41
Athlon 64, at the last minute.

Chris
06-11-2003, 21:56:29
They make nice chips.

You need to get messenger, I know some guys who could probaly have helped you with the bullshit, and saved you more dough.

Lurker
06-11-2003, 22:01:12
If I ever get this computer working at home, I'll have messenger. But I don't have anything there that works right now.

I'm gonna go try to get it working now.

So far I'm glad I built these b/c I've learned a lot. I might not be glad if I don't get the problems sorted out, though. We'll see. And you were certainly right, I saved alot of money on both machines. Probably about $800 on one and $400 on the other.

Chris
06-11-2003, 22:11:03
I learned that lesson when I built mine, and I understand it a lot better now also.

The money saved is amazing, it really isn't worth buying ready made.

Just beware asshats who shoot arcane jargon, they usually don't know dick. ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
07-11-2003, 00:25:04
Google also finds reports that it could be:

- bad (or badly seated) RAM
- BIOS problem
- video card problem
- drive MBR problem
- any other damaged or incompatible hardware (see: MS Knowledge Base Article 330181 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181))

If I were you, I'd crack the thing open, remove every component, then put them all back (make sure every component is seated firmly!)

A long shot would be to flash your BIOS if all the above is unsuccessful.

Venom
07-11-2003, 00:44:45
Goddamn Athlon chips lick nuts with XP.

I should add, mostly because of video card problems. So start there I think. But I'm not a nerd so lets wait for SP or He Who Spouts Extensively About Everything.

Sir Penguin
07-11-2003, 07:13:25
Yeah, I bet SP knows.

SP

Deacon
07-11-2003, 09:12:55
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315335

I dunno. The only thing I can think of is the registered/unregistered DRAM thing. I'm not familiar with the memory requirements of AMD processors.

Lurker
07-11-2003, 18:43:53
I have two 512 MB Corsair DDR thingies. The motherboard instructions don't seem picky about which slots you use, but I put them in the first two. I tried using each memory card by itself in the first slot, but the installation process stopped even earlier and with no error message at all. Just a blue screen with nothing happening (although it did check hardware config, etc.).

I suppose I should try each one in a different slot.

This is frustrating. I should have bought a Mac.

Chris
07-11-2003, 19:12:45
Hmm, I think my board said slots 1 and 3, but I don't really remember that well.

Lurker
07-11-2003, 19:32:10
The original board that I had (which turned out to be defective) suggested slots 1 and 2 for the memory I was using.

I just found a pretty good forum with a thread full of discussion by people who have had the same problem. Often, but not always, it seems that memory was the source. Even good memory appears to be a problem sometimes.

Chris
07-11-2003, 20:27:41
Geeks have their uses from time to time.

Lurker
10-11-2003, 22:09:42
System seems to be working well now, with one exception. I bought two Corsair 512 MB DDR memory sticks and can't get the system to fully boot when both are installed. I don't think I have a bad stick because each one will work individually but they won't work together. I've tried all combinations of slots with these two.

Maybe there's a BIOS adjustment that needs to be made?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-11-2003, 23:39:59
Some boards are notoriously unstable when you have more than a certain number of boards installed.

I found out after I'd bought mine that the maximum reliably stable number of RAM sticks I could have was two. Luckily, I bought and installed two, but it means that if I want to upgrade the RAM on the beast, I need to replace one of the existing sticks to increase my chances it'll be stable afterwards.