PDA

View Full Version : PC enema?

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 07:16:39
I've been piling files and downloads and programs onto my computer ever since I bought it...and it is getting really "full" and sluggish.

Any good utilities or methods for cleaning out the pipes, aside from the defragmenting utility or the old "delete one file at a time" program?

How do you pc deities clean up your computers quickly and efficiently?

Whenever I do a "cleanup" the results seem too ambiguous and I'm afraid to delete files I don't recognize...

Thanks!

Asher
04-11-2003, 07:24:37
First thing I'd do is go to Add/Remove programs in the control panel, and look for ones that say they're used rarely or infrequently or never, and remove them.

Sir Penguin
04-11-2003, 07:37:59
I do it by reinstalling my OS.

SP

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 07:38:17
Hmmm...don't remember seeing a usage report before...I'm sure my system is laughable compared to most, though.

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 07:41:12
Nope...just a really long list of the software I have installed...and there's a lot I don't use anymore...

Asher
04-11-2003, 07:41:46
Ah, you must use an older OS then.

Windows 98 or so?

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 08:05:21
Yeah, but it is the Second edition! ;)

Actually, I've been talking to a guy at work about the most effective upgrades I can do now...here's the list I'm going to give him:

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 6645C CD R/W 15.0 GB Ultra DMA HD, etc.

566MHZ Celeron processor
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 (?)

255MB RAM (installed 256...where does that extra "1" go???)

48% system resources free (that can't be good)

Windows-managed swap file on drive C (6965MB free)

Available space on drive C: 6965MB of 14581MB (FAT32) (not much left and what exactly is the FAT32, anyways?)

Actually...I have no idea what this means...but it is old, full and slow.

What components/how much/why should I buy to get this puppy humming?

Asher
04-11-2003, 08:07:43
I wouldn't invest any more money into that thing. Virtually everything is evenly matched right now, upgrading anything else will mean the bottleneck has shifted onto something else (CPU, RAM speed, etc).

You'd be far better off just buying a new system (you can buy a machine about 4-5x as fast as that one for ~700US, max -- less if you don't mind something slower, but still faster than that).

And FAT32 is just the old-style file system Windows uses. It keeps track of where files are on your disk.

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 08:24:35
Urgh...I think I'll just clean it up at this point.
Luckily I don't need a very rocking system...my games are pretty low impact.
Maybe in a year or two.

Sir Penguin
04-11-2003, 09:04:18
You could sell one of the kids. Consider it an investment in the other's future.

SP

MDA
04-11-2003, 14:43:09
Yeah, fatten one up and sell it for bacon. Then adopt an Irish orphan, and repeat the process.

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 17:40:45
You people are sick. I ask for simple computer advice and I'm told to
A) spend $700
B) sell my children to buy a computer.

I mean, really, how am I supposed to tell which one is going to bring me the most money in the long run? They're too young at this point.
You don't know jack shit about white slavery.

zmama
04-11-2003, 17:57:38
But our sickness keeps bringing you back for more...doesn't it?

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 20:55:40
Yes...and "our" is the operative word there, sweetcheeks.
:)

The Mad Monk
07-11-2003, 10:24:37
When is the last time you defragged your hard drive?

Darkstar
11-11-2003, 07:00:42
With 98, the best way to clean it up is to reinstall it. If you dare...

BigGameHunter
11-11-2003, 22:35:54
Yeah...I've been thinking about that option...but that means I'd have to slog through all those extraneous files to find out which ones are important, which means I could just delete an assload of stuff in the process, right?
Decisions, decisions...

There should be a popup box whenever you download or create a file that gives you the option of ranking it in importance. That way, once a month you could just "delete all non Priority files" and keep it clean.
Man, I'm a fucking genius, aren't I?

Sir Penguin
12-11-2003, 06:44:07
You only need to save stuff that's irreplacable. That is, save files and documents.

It's actually kind of nice to realise after you've reinstalled that you deleted something by accident, because now you just don't have to deal with it any more.

SP

johngalt
12-11-2003, 23:54:01
Yeah, the trick that I use often is the following:

1) I have 2 drives, so my swap file is on the second physical drive, whereas my apps and such are all on the system drive.

2) I format and reinstall everything that way that I like it, with all my nifty little apps and such installed, and then I defragment using Norton Speed Disk (I am partial to it since my pagefile is on a separate disk, in it's own inaccessible partition, so all I have to worry about is system and application defragmentation, and it allows me to set directories at the end of the file stream, such as my Eudora folders, my temp folders, and all of my other folders that get update on a frequent basis).

If you are not going to reinstall, but want to uninstall and such, then get a hold of a registry cleaner tool (easy cleaner is a good one, and can be found at http://www.toniarts.com/index.htm though I use , again, Norton's Windoctor)

all of this will take quite a it of time, so I recommend spending at least a day or so doing this when you are relatively sure you will have no interruptions nor need the computer for anything else.

I have a P4 2.0 GHz machine with 1.25 GB RAM, so I have a lot loaded into memory - I have the resources to spare, so I can - and even then I find the need to do this once a month - though usually after the first time, things take a lot less time.

BigGameHunter
14-11-2003, 20:53:25
i m a n00b

But thanks...I may try to do that sort of thing once an upgrade happens...right now I'm just thinking about a simple purge and re-install.