PDA

View Full Version : IGetNet

protein
03-11-2003, 20:31:16
I have got a parasite in my web browser. It doesn't have an uninstall option. If you're interested here are a couple of the emails I have exchanged with the makers of this parasite:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Your program has somehow infected my computer.

I have wasted hours trying to get rid of this thing. I have been trying for days to download the uninstaller from your site. You seem to have made it unavailable.

Please can you respond soon, this is my second email.

Protein.

Dear Sir/Madam:

It appears you may have visited one of our affiliates, Kazaa, Screen Saver, Net2Phone, Free Inkjets etc.. IGetNet does have the Un-install download directly on our website on the Home Page

Like I said. I can't download that uninstaller. Nothing happens when I click on it or right click on it.

Protein

Send me your telephone number and the 2 best times to reach you (PST) and I will have someone from our tech support call and assist you.

I live in the uk, plus I am too busy to take calls. Why can't you just make the uninstaller available for people that you have infected? Why didn't you build your parasitic virus with an uninstaller built in?

I know you are just doing your job and it is your job to deal with pissed off people like me. It's not your fault. Just do me a favor and tell your manager that he/she is doing something that is very wrong. Everytime I mis-type something into my web browser or leave out a dot or try and search for anything I am taken to the IGetNet website and it is driving me nuts. It's like trying to drive to the shops and somebody hijacking your car and driving you to Pizza Hut.

Please ask the webmaster to make the uninstaller available for download. Please. I don't have any problems downloading anything from anywhere else so there is a problem with your site. Maybe your webmasters have moved the file or something.

Please forward this message to the director of your company.

Protein

The un-install is on our home page. I do not understand why it didnít work for you but has been working all along. We have no reason to upset you further.

I have tried approximately 20 - 25 times to save the file to my desktop over the last few weeks. I have tried after I have turned off my firewall, I've tried uninstalling my firewall, I've tried installing download software, I've uninstalled that software, I have tried turning my computer off and on, I've tried slamming my head against the keyboard and screaming at my computer. I have had absolutely no problem downloading files from other websites (except when I am annoyingly redirected to IGetNet) so the problem surely has to be with the file on your server. Maybe your IGetNet virus has become self aware and is trying to save itself by preventing me from downloading its uninstaller?

Protein

Does anyone here know how to get rid of this f*cking thing? :cry:

Sean
03-11-2003, 20:43:37
I thought this was going to be about .NET :(.

Tried Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) or Spybot S&D (http://security.kolla.de/)?

zmama
03-11-2003, 21:23:50
There are manual instructions here..It says that Ad-aware and S S&D can't remove it ...yet

http://allentech.net/parasite/IGetNet.html

protein
03-11-2003, 21:44:16
I tried that and something wasn't working. As I haven't a clue about DOS, I'm too scared to try any more. I never got taught anything about computers by anybody. I know how to send an email and make music.

C:DOS/WINDOWS:a_b::file:registry//PRESS A BUTTON
C:WINDOWS//ERASE EVERYTHING? Y/N
C:COMMAND//ERASING EVERYTHING
C:COMPUTER//HA HA HA YOU SUCK
C:_
C:help
C: DO NOT UNDERSTAND "HELP"

zmama
03-11-2003, 21:49:31
Then you're going to have to bribe a geeky friend to do it for you, sorry. :(

And don't be a pirate so these things won't happen as much! Arr

Sean
03-11-2003, 21:58:19
If you would feel more comfortable, you can jsut copy the commands into the Run box and run them sequentially.

MDA
03-11-2003, 22:01:39
It downloaded just fine for me- I could email it to you- its small, only about 30kb.

but that's probably because I don't have the program on my system, or because I'm in the US??? (its a right-wing conspiracy)

Sean
03-11-2003, 22:40:09
IGetNet: a ridiculous liberal myth.

protein
04-11-2003, 11:19:41
Originally posted by MDA
It downloaded just fine for me- I could email it to you- its small, only about 30kb.

but that's probably because I don't have the program on my system, or because I'm in the US??? (its a right-wing conspiracy)
That would be great.
bagua@bleeding-ear.co.uk:beer:

Funkodrom
04-11-2003, 11:56:59
If not, I can follow those instructions.

MDA
04-11-2003, 14:41:11
Done - outlook likes to filter it, since its an exe, I suppose

Darkstar
11-11-2003, 06:58:03
Yeppers. So zip up all exes if you have to deal with executables.

MDA
11-11-2003, 21:55:32
That's a damn good idea.