PDA

View Full Version : I haff been sent here to tell j00

Kory
29-10-2003, 00:34:12
(The moving pen pauses and the writer slips in, unnoticed. Amidst myriad conversations and the posting of slips of paper to the wall, no one would see her enter, but that was fine.)

(From out of her jacket pocket, she pulls a photocopied sheet of paper, much folded and worn at the edges. She steals a thumbtack from another announcement, and with a quiet *thonk* sticks the paper to the wall.)

(Those who wish to read the paper can see it at:
http://shinkan.livejournal.com/51475.html
unless, of course, livejournal continues lagging like a legless, syphilitic whore, in which case you probably can't.)

(The writer slips back out again, and picks up her pen. The outline for her NaNoWriMo project calls.)

Sir Penguin
29-10-2003, 00:52:58
I bet livejournal is so busy because that poo thing is getting slashdotted.

SP

Kory
29-10-2003, 19:24:23
No time to really do more than drop this note (I haven't even looked into the main forum) but in case folks were having trouble yesterday, today's LJ speed is WAY Better.

-- Kory (IHNJ, IJLS "legless, syphilitic whore")

jsorense
30-10-2003, 00:44:36
:bounce: Way to go Kory!:bounce:
We are all very proud of you.:D

Funkodrom
30-10-2003, 09:46:10
Wow... that's a lot of writing!

Kory
05-11-2003, 18:47:25
http://www.foad.org/~youknow/temp/nano.php

That's my NaNo progress, that'll get updated fairly regularly, aside from, of course, the LJ, which, uh, also will get updated fairly regularly.

Hey, I'm nothing if not anal.

Kory
14-11-2003, 19:36:31
My vacation put a crimp in my writing, and I'm way behind. Therefore, I will be planning on writing my brains out this weekend.

-- Kory (Wordcount Faerie, Hear My Plea!)

King_Ghidra@home
16-11-2003, 01:00:08
i'm not on your mail list and i don't read your blogs - i think the whole concept is awful, so excuse me.

why don't you contribute to the short story contest now that you're posting (occasionally) again? i haven't really seen anything you've writtren so it's very hard for me to judge your work...

Kory
17-11-2003, 17:57:22
TERMINAL. WRITERS. BLOCK. *expires*

Work and personal life really are distracting from this whole writing thing.

K_G, why don't I participate in the short story contest? Because I don't write a lot of shorts, and I'm too busy getting them rejected from paying markets.

Today's rejection:

Thank you for sending this our way. It
is an interesting study in madness, and
quite well done. I like it, but not enough
to take I'm afraid. The ending, as well,
was just a bit too ambiguous.

Best of luck placing this elsewhere. And
do try us again.

[Signed, Magazine Editor]

-- Kory (Not quite ready to play with the big boys yet.)

PS: Seriously? I don't have much time, and I'm iffy about giving up my first electronic rights -- or is this forum members only?

Darkstar
18-11-2003, 01:57:05
We are open to the public, Kory, so anything you post here needs to be "throw away/teaser type", I'd think... to keep everything simple.

Kory
29-11-2003, 00:05:38
Just to keep the whole thing in one thread for posterity...

As anyone who has been paying attention knows, I've been considerably behind on my NaNo project. Lots of various reasons why, but it boils down to, "Keep getting distracted and not writing", which, well, tends to be the problem.

But I'm still determined to make it. At my worst, I was over 20,000 words behind. I'm still behind by quite a bit (13888 at last update), but I've got 31812, meaning about 18k words to go, and 2 1/2 days.

Yes. I am insane. But I am insane and soon to be the author of three novels.

-- Kory (6k/day? Nothing to it!)

self biased
29-11-2003, 06:37:07
i've been thinking of submitting 'a small salvation' for publishing. how do you get word counts? ... and if you have time, Kory, send me an email and be brutal. **evil grin**

Kory
29-11-2003, 20:24:40
self-biased, your word processor should have a word counting tool.

However, you have a problem. You have already used your first electronic publication rights by posting in a public online forum. That means that you cannot sell them, which may rule out a fair number of publishers. You'll have to double-check whether or not this will matter to the publisher.

This is one of the reasons I don't do the short story contests here, as I alluded to in other threads. If the forum was members-only, somehow password protected, then posting wouldn't give up any rights, but anything that the public can get to counts as electronic publication, and first electronic rights, which once would not have mattered to anyone, but with more and more publishers -- including traditional print ones -- can rule out a sale. It certainly rules out most webzines.

If you're going to substantially change the story before submitting it, you might still be okay, though probably only if you substantially lengthen the story. Otherwise, find places that don't need first electronic rights.

-- Kory (On the other hand, if the Management wants to make a members-only forum for this sorta thing...)

self biased
29-11-2003, 20:43:46
damn. i did shoot myself in the foot, huh?

Kory
30-11-2003, 06:09:31
NaNo word count: 42630.

8k to go. 3 chapters + an epilogue left in outline. And I've been writing really short chapters...

This may need some on-the-fly revision... we'll see.

Kory
30-11-2003, 10:43:45
44824 and time for bed. I'm most of the way through Chapter 19, leaving two chapters and the epilogue to go.

Kory
30-11-2003, 23:18:42
50034 was the final count, squeaking across the finish line.

King_Ghidra
01-12-2003, 09:39:44
Originally posted by Kory

-- Kory (On the other hand, if the Management wants to make a members-only forum for this sorta thing...)

i actually think this might be a very good idea. I mean we all have logins, so that's password proetction already The only downside would be that guests couldn't browse, no great loss imo.

I don't know if this could be done, but can the mangement make a thread (as opposed to an entire forum) for logged in users only?
This might be better.

DaShi
01-12-2003, 11:06:23
Secret Forum!

Immortal Wombat
01-12-2003, 17:49:54
Originally posted by Kory
50034 was the final count, squeaking across the finish line.
If in need, make the name of the lead character into seven words, and use the full name on every occasion.