PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop help

King_Ghidra@home
28-10-2003, 18:23:30
I'm trying to do something and it's really pissing me off.

Transparency.

I have a coloured image on a white background. How can i cut out the coloured image and have it so that the white bits i cut with it will be transparent?

Basically i want to take the coloured image and paste it into a new image with a different background, so whatever the easiest way to do this is what i want.

At the moment as far as i can see i'm going to have to cut the image out very very carefuly to the exact shape, but that will be a nightmare.

PLEASE HELP!!! :cry:

Scud Wallaby
28-10-2003, 18:31:06
Is there a way of using the Magic Wand to capture the white bits instead and remove them, leaving the coloured image behind?

Or doing a rough outline cut and set transparency to white - turn it into a gif and carefully colour white any stray pixels?

Did that make any sense?

-Scud-

zmama
28-10-2003, 18:36:01
Solid white background?

If it is...with both images up, take the original image- using the magic wand tool - select the background color (the white). Then right click and select inverse. Then drag into the other image

Sir Penguin
28-10-2003, 20:58:03
I would erase all the white up to a few pixels away from the image you want to keep, set a transparency mask, and then airbrush away the last few pixels of white. That way you get a fairly even blend from transparency to image.

SP

Jeratain
28-10-2003, 21:08:18
I agree with SP on that. Using the magic wand will give you a very pixelated cut so that your image will look jagged and might not blend clearly into your image.

King_Ghidra@home
28-10-2003, 21:28:31
Originally posted by zmama
Solid white background?

If it is...with both images up, take the original image- using the magic wand tool - select the background color (the white). Then right click and select inverse. Then drag into the other image

ok that worked pretty well, thanks! :beer:

SP, i'm not too hot on how to use a tranparency mask, that was what i tried first time but i kind of got bogged down in the help file trying to work out how to do it :clueless:

zmama
28-10-2003, 21:30:51
So does this mean we're finally going to see the Rotterdam pictures!!

Sean
28-10-2003, 21:31:21
I think it means I am going to get a new avatar.

zmama
28-10-2003, 21:33:47
Harr HARR harr

Sir Penguin
28-10-2003, 21:48:00
Originally posted by King_Ghidra@home
SP, i'm not too hot on how to use a tranparency mask, that was what i tried first time but i kind of got bogged down in the help file trying to work out how to do it :clueless: If Photoshop is anything like the GIMP, you just display the transparency mask, and then paint on anything you want to be transparent. The darker any given pixel is on the mask, the more transparent it is in the real image. So, you can use light-touch brushes like the airbrush to make pixels that are partially transparent.

You can also use a selection mask, which works pretty much the same as a transparency mask. It just selects pixels instead of transparenting them. With it, you can select partial pixels from around the edge of the image you want to cut out. It's probably less tedious than airbrushing a transparency mask, but requires a finer touch. It might be worth making a Bezier curve around the bit you want to keep, and setting anti-aliasing on. That would give you what you want.

Or, you could just do the magic wand thing and live with the jaggies. :)

SP

zmama
28-10-2003, 21:53:48
In the newest version of photoshop the jaggies aren't as noticeable. It's gotten much much better than before

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
28-10-2003, 22:59:24
Email it to SP - he seems to know what he's talking about, and he can put his money where his mouth is :)

Sir Penguin
28-10-2003, 23:13:56
Bring it, bitch. :coolgrin:

SP

Nav
29-10-2003, 12:30:49
Set 'tolerance' on the magic wand to decide how many colour pixels near white you should select. This helps to reduce jagginess.

King_Ghidra
03-11-2003, 17:02:11
cheers guys, photoshop is my bitch again

sorry to disappoint you sean but i didn't need it for avatar purposes, just making myself some new wallpaper