PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Tycoon 3 Leaves the Station!

Darkstar
28-10-2003, 17:35:43
All aboard! The latest incarnation of Railroad Tycoon is being shipped to stores today in North America. For you builder and railroad fans in NA, congrats. Christmas has come early.

Asher
29-10-2003, 08:04:09
Too bad it's buggy.

Resource Consumer
29-10-2003, 16:50:37
It is :(

It will have to go some to live up to RRT II though

MDA
29-10-2003, 17:42:51
I played the first one a lot.

I would imagine its buggy if it shipped yesterday. They won't finish coding the game for another month, if you know what I mean and I think you do.

Resource Consumer
31-10-2003, 19:43:52
It will be even more buggy if it Sid Meier's SimRailway Tycoon.....

Resource Consumer
05-11-2003, 12:47:45
It may have left the station but the mail delivery choo choo seems to be broken :(

King_Ghidra
05-11-2003, 12:54:23
pc gamer gave it a good review

Resource Consumer
05-11-2003, 14:16:56
I am eagerly awaiting my copy....

Nav
05-11-2003, 15:43:38
saw it in town at the weekend for a hefty 35.. didnt buy it, it's a tenner cheaper online.

Resource Consumer
05-11-2003, 19:01:48
most things seem to be

Darkstar
11-11-2003, 08:00:43
I have it.

What bugs? I've only had one CTD... and that was after 6 hours of heavy play.

Dark Impressions... (Hell, I could do a full reveiw, with screenshots, but I'm just too damn lazy)...

It's pretty. I now know why the trailers and teasers featured their cinemanics so much... because that's what you spend 90% of your time doing. Watching the grass roll by...

It's not close to RRT1. It's more like... very big roller coaster builder. Trains stopping immediately, trains climbing and accellerating up a 90' slope... you don't need to go put in those pick up nodes... people bring you their goods. It automanages all your trains consists, auto-picking the best items to ship to the train's next station, and even doing multi-step pick up and drop off for industry cycles...

If you are looking for something to watch pretty sunrises and moonrises, and scenary pass by, this is the game for you!

If you are looking to actually manage a railroad? Nope. It's just simple node layout, and the computer will then run your trains at 100% efficency loads for you you...

That's RRT3. They've gone out of their way to remove out all the micromanaging. Computer does that all for you. You just build the roller coaster tracks, the computer ships stuff across it. You can still play in the stock market, and do those sort of things. But all the train management is now gone. Just as they removed all traffic management in 2.

But it's pretty. And has a decent sound track.

End result: it's a simpler game then RRT2. Suitable for very drunk RCs and 6 year olds. And it's got very pretty scenary to watch slide by.

If you are a train super-geek or like easy economy/network builders, it's worth $15 - $20.

Resource Consumer
12-11-2003, 10:46:01
Pretty well agree with that - particularly the drunk part. It depends what part of RT II you enjoyed. Frankly, I don't like it as much - III it is easier but I find the interface more annoying (maybe it is one of those "what you are used to" type things).

I do have serious CTD problems. Usually after 10-15 mins.

Advice, wait for the patch or, even better dig out RT II in the bargain bins - a far superior game in my view.

Darkstar
12-11-2003, 22:19:01
Wow. You crash and crash some more? I noticed RRT3 was using DirectX 8.1... I wonder if that is part of the problem? Some of my newest games updated me to DirectX 9.1b, and all my video drivers are up to date. That's the first place I'd advise you to go make sure you are up to date, RC. After that, I'd wonder what kind of RAM and freespace you have on your HD.

They've just simplified so much out of the game. And a lot of their scenarios that came with the game really suck. Like the US #5 - WW2 one. Bleah. That's all watch the scenary slide by, as its just manage 1 train's load (you are driving the train without the ability to actually DRIVE the train).

It's the simplification (removal of management) and the serious rollercoaster factor (I'm SERIOUS about the 90 degree slopes!) and the inability to just LAY TRACK like a basic railroad sim (it always uses what it thinks is best... which prevents you from truly laying your rail how and where you want).

RRT3's greatest two strengths... it's pretty, and incredibly simple. But it isn't a match for RRT1 (even if RRT1 had lots of micro management). And RRT2 is closer to a Railroad sim then RRT3.

I don't want to be forced to micromanage like crazy constantly. But I do want the ability to design a railroad, and not a steam powered rollercoaster. And with all the railroad sims I've played, RRT3 *feels* like a rollercoaster game, not a railroad mangament/business sim. (Well, the financial-business aspect in it is the same as RRT2... although mergers/buyouts are much better in 3.)

I'm mixed on RRT3. It's a very good, SIMPLE railroad game, suitable for making pretty scenary slide by on your screen. But if you want something to really sink your railroad business management "teeth" into this, this will probably bore you so much, you'll be reaching for something else in short order... The whole game is basically: drag-paint a track (without worry for terrain, as it only matters in how it will make the route "look"), buy train, tell it to go between the two points, watch scenary roll by for the next half hour.

Humm... That gives me an idea. Hey, RC... have you deinstalled and reinstalled the game? Maybe you have a corrupt texture or sound?

Nav
14-11-2003, 17:54:25
[insert witicism here]

Resource Consumer
17-11-2003, 00:01:40
Seriously, Darkstar, this is interesting (I'll try the re- and de-install thing) but I don't want to sound likr a Darkstar clone here (" I can't run this game", "waah". "ctd"). Hey, cool, I am only pushing you mate.;)

I have some issues with this game but (as it does not run for any length of time) please take my views with a pinch of the proberbial salt. Unususally, young Darkstar can run a game when I can't (brownie points for CG-ers that can find evidence the last time that happened;)) but I think he is right. This game has been dumbed down so far that even the phrase "eye candy" is a sympathetic epithet.

In short, this game falls a long way short of my expectations. It is not shit, by any means, but it is so dumb compared with its predecessor. The scary thing, peeps, is that is what they think you want. You ain't sending the right messages. So, I ask the question - who is to blame?

Darkstar
18-11-2003, 02:10:01
Well, it's RRT2 minus all the micromangement possible. Which leaves very little. Stock market, drawing track, buying/upgrading train engines, watching the pretty scenary roll by.

I've noticed that a lot of people have been having trouble where... knock on wood... my box hasn't.

Resource Consumer
18-11-2003, 12:53:39
I wonder about the Direct X 9 - that will be my next attempt

Beta1
18-11-2003, 13:14:42
I never had RRT1 but I did have transport tycoon 1 which seemed to be rrt1 with planes/busses/boats etc.

That was great fun - a lot of skill required to set up efficient signalling/passing systems. It was all about maximum flow through a given track. In RT2 where 2 trains could occupy the same track (even if one had to stop) it lost a lot of the fun for me,

I wonder where that disc is and whether it will work with XP...

Darkstar
18-11-2003, 22:17:02
RRT1 allowed for better manifest control on trains then Transport Tycoon (A train had to have the same manifest through all its stops in TT). But TT allowed you to have multiple types of transport medium (trains, planes, ships, trucks, etc).

Other then the lack of changing manifest, I thought TT1 was a good game.

Resource Consumer
18-11-2003, 22:30:45
Originally posted by Beta1
I never had RRT1 but I did have transport tycoon 1 which seemed to be rrt1 with planes/busses/boats etc.

That was great fun - a lot of skill required to set up efficient signalling/passing systems. It was all about maximum flow through a given track. In RT2 where 2 trains could occupy the same track (even if one had to stop) it lost a lot of the fun for me,

I wonder where that disc is and whether it will work with XP...

RT II is fine with XP

Darkstar
19-11-2003, 23:34:36
I think he was talking about Transport Tycoon, RC.

MDA
13-12-2004, 12:29:48
Had some fun with this one over the weekend.

Connected Cleveland to St. Louis in the second campaign scenario, far exceeding ALL victory conditions for a gold medal, and got a lousy silver anyhow. :mad:

I'm enjoying it at the moment, but I think the fun is going to be limited in duration.

Moving cargo from supply to demand areas doesn't seem all that important. I seem to make money just by moving stuff around.

It is hard to lay track the way you want unless you lay it out in very short stretches. Its nearly impossible to manage how you bridge rivers. Only one or two points on the other side where it will let you build a bridge.

Its been patched to 1.05, by the way.

Beta1
13-12-2004, 12:54:19
I think MDA wins the award for longest bump in history!

MDA
13-12-2004, 13:13:46
I used the search engine, and I get abuse. :)

Darkstar
13-12-2004, 22:24:43
MDA, that is very similar to my thoughts about the game. It seemed more aimed at being a pretty screen saver, or "watch the grass roll by" type game.

Have you tried Chris Sawyer's Locomotion? (It's his sequel to his Transport Tycoon.) It's a good move people/goods from supply to demand market game. Not as pretty as RRT3, but a fine Chris Sawyer game. ;)

MDA
14-12-2004, 12:52:11
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a screen saver. :)

I may try cranking the difficulty to see if that makes supply/demand more important. Maybe the normal difficulty has it reduced or turned off.

I suppose I could read the manual, but that so often turns out to be a waste of time.

MDA
14-12-2004, 17:31:24
If I lay track through a cornfield does it *actually* affect output at the associated farm, or is the field just for looks and the farm output fixed?

I also wanted to mention that Poptop seems to have some of the best game music in the business. First Tropico, now this.

Darkstar
14-12-2004, 20:20:14
Poptop did 2, which had great music. Something the fans told them to carry over to 3, and they were happy to do.

I don't recall that messing with the cornfield affects output. But its been a while since I checked all those before and after digits.

MDA
15-12-2004, 12:57:52
Was it 1 or 2 that you had to "name that train?" to be able to play the game (as copy protection)?

whichever one that was, it rocked. This is almost an entirely different game. More of a "macromanagement" sim. Probably something like Moo3 was going for.

I've found that later in a scenario I don't have enough trains running - always have loads of excess cargo at all my stations.

I need to start building my own factories to take advantage of surplus goods, too.

If I'd built a weapons factory earlier than I did in the Texas Tea scenario, I would have hauled in major money. It would have been good to upgrade my station near the oil producing town to cover the newer derricks that appeared, too.

JM^3
15-12-2004, 13:49:35
I really liked the first one, which was more fun

although the second was still fun

Jon Miller

Darkstar
15-12-2004, 23:33:45
#1 had you "name that train". Great game.

MDA
20-12-2004, 16:45:09
I'm about halfway through the European campaign. Just crossed the Alps.

I really like it. The scenario goals are varied and require slightly different strategies to win (some are do-able just winging it, others are tough until you figure out what you need to concentrate your effort on).