PDA

View Full Version : The Sims : Makin' Magic will be on store shelves Oct 28.

Darkstar
27-10-2003, 20:28:55
That's tomorrow to me, and already present to our Down Under friends and their Kiwi neighbors. ;)

This is the end of the line as far as the The Sims 1 current Project Lead knows. And that fits, since they have already started making the FIRST expansion for The Sims 2. BTW, The Sims 2 first expansion will be pets. Maxis has learned to hand over the highest demanded stuff first in the first expansion pack.

Anyways, Makin' Magic is to there to give The Sim 1 fans all those cheats via magic that there aren't cheat codes for. And in general to give them lots of new things to play with. ;)

For you closet Simmers... enjoy!

Resource Consumer
03-11-2003, 14:58:39
I somehow think I won't be getting this

zmama
03-11-2003, 15:13:42
I've never quite gotten The Sims...running my own life is way more than enough for me!

MDA
03-11-2003, 22:38:42
Easier for me to just let my wife run mine. Runs smoother, I have to admit.

Greg W
03-11-2003, 23:35:57
Makes for less arguments that way too. :D

BigGameHunter
04-11-2003, 07:34:49
I tried, I swear...but now it has evolved much too far for me.

I can't even get a deathmatch in on War of the Monsters...and that takes about 15 minutes.
:(

Darkstar
11-11-2003, 07:43:50
Makin' Magic is a good expansion, from what I can tell so far. But there are several "bugs" in it. The strain of making it, while making Superstar, upgrading Sims Online, finalizing Sims 2, and the working hard on the first Sims 2 expansion definately shows. Nothing horrid (unlike Superstar), but there are a few odd things.

If you are a big Sims fan, you definately have to get this. My girlfriend loves this one, and she's just an occasional player of Sims.

Fun news from Maxis... they have 7 planned expansions for The Sims 2. These 7 have already been okayed by EA... with encouragement for more. That will carry Sims2 through the next 3 years, I would think.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-11-2003, 20:47:57
Why don't they just code the whole thing, expansions included, release it in 3 years and charge $300 for it? Same difference, it seems to me.

I'm not willing to pay that for a game I'd end up playing probably as much as a regular $40 or $50 release.

Darkstar
12-11-2003, 22:24:32
Because they want their money in installments! Why else?

It's just a parallel of the sports games... only The Sims is primarily a female player dominated game... meaning that EA will constantly milk it, as they constantly milk their sports franchises. Each new expansion will be bought by the Sim fan... easy money.

Expect The Sims # to be a permanent feature of gaming for the next human generation, if not longer. Almost no other game has the demographics of the otherwise "unreachable" demographics.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-11-2003, 23:37:01
I'm not sure it is predominantly female. Psychology Today had an interesting article on it a few weeks back. Perhaps it's being perceived as a female dominated game because it's one of the first computer games that's attracting a more balanced female demographic?

Easy money? Perhaps, for those with high enough disposeable incomes. For those of us who count pennies, though, it's another matter entirely, and not something we tend to want to make a long-term investment in.

Darkstar
13-11-2003, 00:08:08
According to Maxis, the game is 89% female played. The psychology claimed is that the average males are just too goal oriented, so they get it, play until they've topped out everything that interest them, and go on to something else. The average women, however, are using it as a tool to make stories, play stories, and play out their fantasies... it's interactive soaps/dress up/play house, all rolled together. How true that really is, I don't know. But a look through the people that have publically shared their details in the Maxis Sims community does lean that way. No absolutes, of course, since we are all unique mixes of hardwired and learned traits...

However, the newest generation of gamers seems to be blurring the lines a lot more in favorite gaming activities. A lot more goal oriented female gamers, and visa versa... if this turns out to be true, then I'd think the genderish behaviors are socially imposed/communicated and reinforced, because the computer is people's private toy, allowing them to be do whatever they want, and noone else knows unless you tell them or share with the gaming. There, its a better reflection of what you are interested in, then group activities, or performing activities while exposed to a group.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
13-11-2003, 16:51:45
Ah, I see where those demographics came from. You should have sated it was long-term players, rather than all players/purchasers :) :) In that case, I'd tend to agree.

Is there some kind of hack available to give you unlimited/a very large amount of money? (And not the cheat that gives you $1k a pop) LoC would dearly love to just tinker with the house building part of the game, but isn't so interested in making the people do stuff :) Pity there's no sandbox mode for architecture.

Resource Consumer
13-11-2003, 16:52:50
There is, I am sure. Can't remember what it is now - I'll check

Darkstar
14-11-2003, 17:41:37
Well, you can download the Sim with over $1,000,000 Simoleans. It was a featured Sim a while back... If she isn't concerned with playing the sims, she could just download the richest families to a local neighborhood, and use up their money.

The only multi money cheats I can remember use the "Rosebud" and "repeat last cheat" cheats, strung together. There's one to give 10K a shot, and another to give 99K a shot, IIRC. Of course, you could just do a hex editor cheat to up the money on a Sim family. You want to be careful not to get too near Max money though... or the sim might get a reward, and roll over into negative money.