PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat in bed with... Debian?

Sir Penguin
27-10-2003, 04:15:04
Progeny--a company co-founded by Debian's creator, Ian Murdock--has come out with two announcements:

1. "We have ported Red Hat's Anaconda installer to Debian" (Yippee!)
2. "We are also working...to add/merge RPM support into the mainline APT,...possibly [to] allow Debian and RPM packages to coexist side by side." (Hurrah!)

Now, some people may suggest that Debian is starting to sell out and be more like Red Hat. To these people, I say, "Shut up, you are idiots." Thank you.

The Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/archive/news/1067056799.html) has lots of relevant links and stuff.

Deacon
28-10-2003, 21:09:58
Debian will stay debian. They'll probably keep all new and hip stuff in the testing and unstable distros, while the older stuff goes into stable. The locations of config files and the initscripts might not match up, but for packages where the files are mostly it makes sense. I had to use Alien on my old machine's Debian installation so I could use ATI's binary drivers with LFS. They only distribute the drivers as an RPM.

Deacon
28-10-2003, 21:17:01
I guess I'd still have to use Alien to get a DEB package onto LFS. I use my own package format these days. Basically, a bzipped tar of the files and directories with the paths preserved. To install, I unzip to the root directory. To uninstall, I say tar -tjf <filename> to list the files in the archive, and then I use sed -e 's/^/rm -f /' | bash to remove them.