PDA

View Full Version : PES3 (not a review...)

Scud Wallaby
21-10-2003, 19:46:34
Haven't ventured into the realm of Soccer games since Sensi Soccer way back when, but something about this one appealed to me.

Haven't scored yet. Conceded about 20 or so in total against teams like Slovenia, Jamaica, Scotland, playing as Germany, Brazil. Opposition make me look like a MUPPET.

Only consolation is that my first few tries of Sensi resulted in a bit of FRUSTRATION. But practise made perfect. And at Sensi... I was PERFECT.

But then again Sensi you only needed one joystick button...

Anyway (cheery smile) - i'm guessing that once (IF) I get the hang of this, then the attraction will be irresistable, so i'll persevere and accept that half the challenge of really good game is learning how to play it. (Is there any way to tilt the angle of play to almost total overhead, bit like Sensi???)

-Scud-

Funkodrom
21-10-2003, 19:49:22
Yeah... I understand your pain. Even with 4 years experience in the ISS world it still takes time to learn to score in the new games. When you score though.... oh what a feeling!

Sean
21-10-2003, 20:13:32
I want to know if it’s harder to block passes using the slide tackle.

JM^3
21-10-2003, 20:33:25
how does this compare to the others/

lie fifa?

JM

Sean
21-10-2003, 21:11:15
It’s the best. FIFA is all right if you can’t play this, though.

Sean
22-10-2003, 16:48:24
Originally posted by Sean
I want to know if it’s harder to block passes using the slide tackle.
I still want to know!

Scud Wallaby
22-10-2003, 20:31:43
how does this compare to the others

lie fifa?

JM

I have v. limited experience of FIFA, but I prefer this by far. I can't give a fair comparism because I haven't played either to any extent to judge, but PES 3 just sort of feels right, although I still think it'd feel better playing with a joystick rather than the standard thumbpad thing.

I want to know if itís harder to block passes using the slide tackle.

No idea myself Sean, I've yet to successfully block a pass, I think once i've mastered that then i'll have this game sorted!

So far i've managed a couple of clean sheets playing as Argentina against Northern Ireland, have yet to score but have come close a few times; my total game play time is little over 2 hours so I think i'm doing OK.

I'm guessing that even when you become a FOOTBALL GOD OF ULTIMATE POWER!! LET IT ROCK!! at this game, you'll still have to battle to win most games - which is good...

I just want to score a flippin' goal...

-Scud-

Sean
22-10-2003, 20:42:42
What difficulty are you playing on?

Scud Wallaby
22-10-2003, 21:23:50
What difficulty are you playing on?

Normal (3/5)

-Scud-

King_Ghidra
23-10-2003, 12:29:51
Scud, having played the last 6 or so iterations of ISS (as it was once called) i would say this is easily the hardest to score in.

In 14 games for my master league team i won 6 drew 6 and lost 2 scoring only 11 goals and conceding only 3. As you can tell, most of my matches finished 1-0 or 0-0.

You might find to learn the game it would be worth dropping the difficulty a notch, so that you get more of the ball and can practice your attacking and shooting a bit.

The 1-2 is very useful - (L1 + x button to initiate) even if you don't end up passing back to other player, his run will help to draw defenders and leave more room.
Also never underestimate the power of tall forwards/defenders and good crosses/corners. Headed goals are easier to get than in PES2.

Defnitely stick with it, is a game of immense subtlety and variety and as you start to crack it you will get a sense of reward that far exceeds any other arcade football sim.

Venom
23-10-2003, 14:34:41
I once scored 3 goals in Winning Eleven 6. 3! Can you believe that?

Funkodrom
23-10-2003, 14:38:55
I've put 5 or 6 past Debaser on several occasions.

Venom
23-10-2003, 14:50:55
This was 3 against the computer. On the middle difficulty level at that!

Funkodrom
23-10-2003, 14:55:54
I dunno how many I've scored against the computer. Then again I've only ever played the computer in short matches to unlock the bonus teams.

King_Ghidra
23-10-2003, 15:02:56
the AI in pes3 is much tougher, you cant just sprint past the whole opposition, you have to build your play up and earn your chances

Venom
23-10-2003, 15:10:16
It's not the difficult attacking I find annoying. It's the retarded fools on my team when it comes to finding space and playing defense that pisses me off.

King_Ghidra
23-10-2003, 15:22:28
yeah if there's one bugbear i have so far it's that the strikers often make stupid runs to the wings instead of attacking the box

you can't amend it in the tactics options which is irritating

there is a thing you can buy in the shop which allows you to edit strategies, maybe that can help

(for those that don't know, you unlock secrets now by earning PES points and spending them in the PES shop. So winning a match might earn you 50pts, winning a cup 1000pts.)

Nav
23-10-2003, 15:43:01
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
there is a thing you can buy in the shop which allows you to edit strategies, maybe that can help I almost flipped out at the idea you'd have to buy something from a shop to be able to edit strategies in PES3! unbelievable!! ;)

Sean
23-10-2003, 15:50:26
In F-Zero GX you can only unlock story mode levels by buying them int he shop. Very annoying.

My best ever half of football was in a 5-minute ISSPE2 match as Yugoslavia. I played against a friend who was, and is, bloody good at these games, playing as France (I think; might have been Spain). I won the first half 5-0, although I didn&8217;t even get a shot in the second half.

I also played a Brazil vs Brazil match, 15 minutes, against a different friend. It was really boring until he had a man sent off at the end of the first half, and it finished 6-5 to him AET.

K_G: I think I mentioned the sprint through the middle of the defence bug about PES2 before. Glad they kept the fix from WE6FE, because it rendered the Master League meaningless.

How are the loading times? I have to confess I’m not that tempted at the moment, because the Gamecube loads faster, has better controllers, and has John Kabira.

Scud Wallaby
23-10-2003, 18:40:53
Good tips KG - thanks :beer: I'm glad it's a game that presents a challenge, nothing like battling to keep a clean sheet and scoring in the last minute - miles better than winning 3-0 every time.

I dropped the Difficulty level to 1/5 as suggested, definitely gave me a chance to practise attacking and building an attack. I've won both attempts Argentina 4 - Northern Ireland 0; England 4 - Scotland 0. I'll bump it up to level 2 tonight. Normally I try to play games from normal or harder levels to give them longevity but you're right about using lower levels to get used to it.

Loading times are relatively long Sean but bearable.

Anyway - i'll crack on! (Love the commentary - 4-0 up, 89'th minute; Trevor Brooking says, "Yes they could do with one more goal to be comfortable...")

-Scud-

Sean
23-10-2003, 18:45:08
The thing about starting at a lower difficulty is at least you get shooting practice (the keepers stay at roughly the same level usually?).

fp
24-10-2003, 19:10:24
I've been away for 4 days and haven't been able to play. Bad withdrawal symptoms. Must play now. No time to talk about game. Will throw in my opinion when bored at work next week. Must play now.

King_Ghidra@home
25-10-2003, 23:01:01
Well I think i'm finally getting the hang of this one now. After my strugles in divison 2, now that i've been promoted to Division 1 i've been on a goal frenzy, scoring 28 times in 9 games, including a 5-1 demolition of Real Madrid and 5-0 thrashing of Barcelona.

It's a testament to the game (and is true of the whole ISS series really) that i've not discovered any formula to success as such, just a combination of lots of different little things that are leading to lots more chances.

Sean
25-10-2003, 23:51:31
True of the whole series apart from ISSPE2 with the one-twos and PES2 with the run down the middle :).

Oh, and the free kick in any version.

fp
26-10-2003, 00:03:10
True of the whole series apart from ISSPE2 with the one-twos

Yeah that was just broken. I beat Liverpool 10-0 in a 10 minute game on maximum difficulty by just having two quick strikers with good control (Shevchenko and Owen) to do one-twos to scythe through the defence. Shevchenko had 6 goals and 4 assists, Owen had 4 goals and 6 assists. :D

As fun as that was, it was also kind of sad. There was no pride or satisfaction in it at all.

fp
26-10-2003, 00:08:00
Originally posted by King_Ghidra@home
Well I think i'm finally getting the hang of this one now. After my strugles in divison 2, now that i've been promoted to Division 1 i've been on a goal frenzy, scoring 28 times in 9 games, including a 5-1 demolition of Real Madrid and 5-0 thrashing of Barcelona.

It's a testament to the game (and is true of the whole ISS series really) that i've not discovered any formula to success as such, just a combination of lots of different little things that are leading to lots more chances.

I've had a similar story. Started off my Master League campaign really struggling with a loss and 4 draws from my first five games, plus losing 4-2 on aggregate in the first round of the cup. Once I bought a couple of decent strikers the goals started coming and I ended up topping the league with 7 wins.

Only played one game in Division 1 so far, an incredibly frustrating game against Liverpool where I hit the post twice and had 3 goal-mouth scrambles, but just couldn't find the net. Nevertheless, it should be pretty much a formality to win the league this season (doubt I'll dominate quite as much as K_G though :D) - then it'll be on to the WEFA Championships, which should be interesting.

fp
26-10-2003, 00:10:30
I want to know if it's harder to block passes using the slide tackle.

Not really no, although the refs seem quite a bit stricter so if you mis-time one and slightly catch the defender you'll hardly ever get away with it.

Sean
26-10-2003, 00:16:06
I don’t usually do it near the defender—the refs in WE6FE seem to pick up a fair few off the ball challenges—but the ease of doing it does mean a lot more chipped passes and so slower play.

King_Ghidra@home
26-10-2003, 09:39:03
i'd love to answer your question sean but i've really never experienced a problem with having my passes slide tackled (against the AI or humans), so i don't really know what you're talking about.

For my part i've found the regular block tackle to be more than capable, i use to be a real slide tackle whore in the old ISS games but i've found it less and less useful compared to block tackle and good positional defending.

Sean
26-10-2003, 18:28:39
It’s not a substitue, it’s an addition, like using the slide tackle to stop the ball going out for a throw-in.