PDA

View Full Version : Wireless home network?

Drekkus
21-10-2003, 09:52:19
OK, since my studyroom is getting too cold in winter, I want to move my computer to the living room. But that would mean that I would have to extent my cablemodem wires about 10 meters, drill a hole in the wall, have the wire running past the wall, not a pretty sight.

So what I want to know is, how wireless can you make your pc? I know SP suggested leaving the computer in the studyroom, but would that mean I need 10 meters of monitorcable? Could I make my keyboard and mouse work wireless through a wall?

The least I want is to make the internetconnection wireless to my pc, so I won't have the hassle with the wires. But it's not a laptop.

How do you do that and how much would it set me back?

Funkodrom
21-10-2003, 10:09:09
I'll leave it to someone who knows more about this to answer but it's relatively cheap these days. I think my boss got a wireless internet box and wireless cards for 2 PCs for less than 100.

Sir Penguin
21-10-2003, 10:09:48
Depending on the prices you find, my guess is a wireless network would cost about C$200. A wireless keyboard and mouse could go for about C$100, and a 10' monitor extension cable (which you would still have to run instead of the network cable) is about C$10 without a filter.

A wireless network can be problematic if you're unlucky (they're also really tough to troubleshoot).

But then, I like the idea of keeping the computer box in another room, so my opinion's biased.

SP

Drekkus
21-10-2003, 10:14:19
How would that work, the wireless network. What would I need for that?

Funkodrom
21-10-2003, 10:17:37
You need a wireless broadcaster thingy... eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ARK3/qid=1066731356/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_3_2/026-9619587-5437218

And a reciever for each computer eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000C1WO0/qid=1066731356/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3_3/026-9619587-5437218

But I couldn't recommend what's best value in each category.

Sir Penguin
21-10-2003, 10:25:13
Linksys is a reputable brand for networking stuff.

I wonder if there's a significant difference between a USB receiver and a PCI receiver. Other than the PCI card looking like a flaccid wang instead of a hard-on.

SP

Drekkus
21-10-2003, 10:26:43
So a router and a receiver. That USB-stick is the receiver? Does that work?

Drekkus
21-10-2003, 11:01:09
So can I stick another receiver in my second pc and have internet access there as well?? That would be great.

zmama
21-10-2003, 11:27:58
Just one computer?

Linksys is good, SMC is good, D-Link is good, most of the brands out there are pretty good.
Yes, the USB works :)

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/CD/article.php/2219581

Funkodrom
21-10-2003, 11:59:42
Originally posted by Drekkus
So can I stick another receiver in my second pc and have internet access there as well?? That would be great.

Yes.

MDA
21-10-2003, 18:56:03
Didn't that case of the wireless keyboard typing letters out on the neighbor's screen happen in the Netherlands? NAHN

Drekkus
22-10-2003, 07:21:13
So I can go to the store, get a router and a receiver, and just plug them in? Or does it acquire all sorts of configuring hard- and software?

zmama
22-10-2003, 09:47:09
With the hardware, often you have to shift the positions about to get the best signal...can be a pain but not technically difficult.

Software, do learn how to configure your router! RTFM!
Basic security is essential...get a router with WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) and USE it. At the very least turn on WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) which isn't as good, but at least it's something.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
22-10-2003, 17:43:36
I can't remember what I bought, but I got it fairly cheap (1 Siemens SpeedStream cable modem/DSL router for about US$40, a PCMCIA card for about US$20, and a PCI card for $30). The router is also a print server. The PCMCIA and router are here (http://www.speedstream.com/products_wireless.html).

It gave me a bit of trouble setting it up initially, mostly because I hadn't worked with wireless stuff before, but after the teething problems it's worked flawlessly, even after I tinkered with the settings later on to provide some degree of encryption to stop casual access (not that there's much to access, since even though it's a cable/DSL router, I'm still using dial-up - although I did use the router to enable sharing of my internet connection on the network, which is a GREAT feature).

One thing to make sure of is to select the type of wireless you're going to get (802.11a, b or g) and make sure you get compatible products!

Drekkus
22-10-2003, 20:45:02
fuckerdefuck. I bought a router and a usb receiver this afternoon. this one http://www.sweex.com/product.asp?pid=221

I plugged it in, plugged in the usb receiver and it worked! It was a little bit slower, but still working. Then I moved the pc to the other room, and it still worked. Then I looked for the WEP thing, enabled it, and then I lost all access to the internet. In the settings it says the receiver is working properly, so I don't know what the problem is, I alson disabled the WEP.

Fortunately I have now connected the other pc to the router, so I have internet, but the bloody wireless thing isn't working.

zmama
22-10-2003, 21:00:20
I saw in the manual that you can reset the router to factory settings...do that. Then start over.

See if you can tell the router to only let the hardware addresses you want allowed to have access. I saw you could do that in the specs...but didn't see it in the manual...it was difficult to read, being scanned in .
That will give you pretty good security.

No longer Trippin
22-10-2003, 21:11:31
Lesson being that you should have gotten off your lazy ass and ran wiring, it isn't that hard.

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 11:15:10
I'll try to avoid that. I'll take zmama's advice first.

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 11:43:17
bit off topic, but I bought these speakers as well, yesterday:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=ATP3&sID=2

http://www.alteclansing.com/images/ATP3.jpg

zmama
23-10-2003, 12:16:20
nice...how do they sound?

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 12:29:41
Great! I tested them in the store first. Really clear, and more than enough volume for me. The foot of the satellite hides a third speaker.
Note that they are in the Music pc section of the site, not the gaming pc section. No idea why they want to split that.

Venom
23-10-2003, 13:26:19
I will just say WIRELESS RULES!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-10-2003, 15:43:37
When you're setting up the WEP, do the router first, then change the settings on your wireless receiver attached to your PC. And make sure you get all the settings the same on both machines, or you'll have to reset the lot and start over, like zmama advised.

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 22:03:34
Damn this is annoying. I can't connect to the internet. I tried installing the ISP software, and it checks the networkconnection and it says it's ok, but still I can't connect. Anyone any ideas?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-10-2003, 22:31:17
Did you reset both devices to factory settings?

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 22:43:01
I have now, and it looks like it's working now. Posting from the wireless computer. Weird thing is that I didn't change any of the settings. I'll install the pc back in the living room now, see what happens is I enable WEP again.

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 23:10:06
This is weird. The moment I enable WEP in my network connection and the firewall setting in the internet options, my connection completely dies. I can only bring it back by reseting the router, and disabling the WEP and firewall. My pc uses zonealarm, isn't that protection enough? Or do I need the WEP thing to prevent people from misusing my wireless connection?

Plus my download speed is around 10 KByte/sec, where the other pc is getting 180 KByte/sec through the same router, but connected with a cable.

Sir Penguin
23-10-2003, 23:13:35
Can you get through with WEP enabled and the firewall disabled?

SP

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 23:20:02
I'll try.

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 23:38:42
I can't.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
23-10-2003, 23:46:30
You can access the router configuration from the wirelessly connected PC, though, right?

What kind of setup system does it have? Some kind of special application you have to install, or do you access the router setting through a web page?

Also, try giving the wireless PC a static IP, rather than rely on DHCP, then restrict access to that single IP and the MAC address of your wireless USB thing.

Drekkus
23-10-2003, 23:58:43
I have to configure the router using a website. But I get this message when I type in the adress:

Description: internal error - server connection terminated

Chris
24-10-2003, 00:13:59
You know Drek, I have the EXACT same Altec Lansing Speakers!

Good luck on the wireless.

Drekkus
24-10-2003, 00:15:23
Thanks, I'll need it! ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-10-2003, 00:16:54
Is that error from the cabled PC or from the wireless one?

Venom
24-10-2003, 00:29:25
Luckily enough all my router stuff worked great right when I plugged it in. Too bad for you Drekkus.

Drekkus
24-10-2003, 07:45:06
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Is that error from the cabled PC or from the wireless one? the wireless one.

Drekkus
24-10-2003, 09:26:32
:rolleyes: @ me. I managed to lose the internetconnection on the other pc while repairing the wireless connection.

MattHiggs
24-10-2003, 12:34:33
I run an AD/Hoc wireless network at home, well my parents house. I have the main internet server upstairs and then I can use my laptop in any other room.

I use Belkin Wireless Adapters, they fit in the PCI slot like normal network cards.

zmama
24-10-2003, 16:48:13
Well, Drekkie if you pay my airfare I'll come to Rotterdam and fix it for you! :cute:

Spartak
24-10-2003, 18:05:23
Am I missing something here? The problem is that the room is cold. Why don't you buy a heater for the room and save all that time and money making wireless work, not to mention exposing yourself to unnecessary electro-magnetic radiation?

zmama
24-10-2003, 18:40:53
Heaters aren't cool!

harr harr harr

Sir Penguin
24-10-2003, 19:05:18
Because the fact that it's cold suggests that heat is being lost from it?

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-10-2003, 22:35:17
Originally posted by Spartak
Am I missing something here? The problem is that the room is cold. Why don't you buy a heater for the room and save all that time and money making wireless work, not to mention exposing yourself to unnecessary electro-magnetic radiation?

Does that imply there's necessary electromagnetic radiation?

Spartak
25-10-2003, 21:02:47
No not really. imho its generally best to restrict the amount of EMR you subject yourself too - something isn't right with all these mad scientist type and I'm convinced that exposure to too many radio waves turns you potty.

Not that I have a scientific basis for this prejudice but dang it all if we relied on proof we wouldn't have an religions... ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-10-2003, 22:44:59
I knew I should have put a smilie in that last post... damn inferred good-humored-sarcasm gulf.

Drekkus
25-10-2003, 23:22:04
Zmama, you're always welcome for the next rotterdam meet.

About the heater, we tried that last year. We had a electric heater standing in the room, under the desk. It would burn your legs, but the hands still would be freezing. I needed a router anyway to connect the other pc, so I thought it would be nice to have a wireless one so I wouldn't have the cables running over the floor in the living. But I'm awaiting a message from the tech helpdesk. I asked them why their configuration site was down and why their call centre didn't answer the phone. I said that I was a little worried about the professionalism of the products and the organisation behind it. Hope that they can take my sceptism away.

Spartak
26-10-2003, 12:10:47
:lol: False hope I'm sure...

Dinrauko
27-10-2003, 02:22:38
Hello everyone,
I could help but read your conversation because zmama sent the link to me and told me to read it. Um my advice would be to download the newest drivers for your NICs and update the firmware on your router. That should fix your problems.

Drekkus
27-10-2003, 11:16:11
OK, Thanks. But the problem is I can only change anything on the router using a certain website, that I can't acces right now.

I finally talked to someone from the helpdesk, and he send me a few documents to set up the network configuration in such a way I can acces the damn router configuration website, and finally enable WEP. He told me turning WEP on in the network configuration before you do it on the router doesn't work. So I hope I have things running smoothly tonight.

Funkodrom
27-10-2003, 11:21:16
Good luck!

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-10-2003, 16:48:12
Originally posted by Drekkus
OK, Thanks. But the problem is I can only change anything on the router using a certain website, that I can't acces right now.

I finally talked to someone from the helpdesk, and he send me a few documents to set up the network configuration in such a way I can acces the damn router configuration website, and finally enable WEP. He told me turning WEP on in the network configuration before you do it on the router doesn't work. So I hope I have things running smoothly tonight.

Didn't I just tell you that?

When you're setting up the WEP, do the router first, then change the settings on your wireless receiver attached to your PC. And make sure you get all the settings the same on both machines, or you'll have to reset the lot and start over, like zmama advised.

:D

zmama
27-10-2003, 16:55:27
Ah...go easy on him Qaj.
He's Dutch! :D

Drekkus
27-10-2003, 20:33:13
Didn't I just tell you that?

:D Hey look, I guess you did. Although you might have said computer instead of receiver, because I can't acces the receiver program that came with it, because a message saying:

"Wireless LAN is controlled by Windows Zero Configuration!!"

Anyone any ideas what that means?

Darkstar
27-10-2003, 20:37:52
Are you in the wrong section? Trying to muck around with the HARDWARE PROFILES? That's the only Zero Config that comes to my mind, at the moment.

Drekkus
27-10-2003, 20:43:16
No, I installed the utility that came with the adapter. When I try to open it, it gives this message.

zmama
27-10-2003, 21:11:24
"Configuration Zero Configuration for Wireless
Microsoft also partnered with 802.11 NIC vendors to improve the roaming experience by automating the process of configuring the NIC to associate with an available network.
The wireless NIC and its NDIS driver need to do very little beyond supporting a few new NDIS Object Identifiers (OIDs) used for the querying and setting of device and driver behavior. The NIC will scan for available networks and pass those to Windows XP. Windows XP has a Wireless Zero Configuration service that then takes care of configuring the NIC with an available network. In the case where there are two networks covering the same area. The user can configure a preferred network order and the machine will try each network in order until it finds an active one. It is even possible to limit association to only the configured, preferred networks.
If no 802.11 networks are found nearby, Windows XP will configure the NIC to use ad hoc networking mode. It is possible for the user to configure the wireless NIC to either disable or be forced into ad hoc mode.
These zero configuration enhancements are integrated with the security enhancements such that if authentication fails, another network will be located to attempt association with. "

Microsoft tech net (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/wrlsxp.asp)

it's a Feature! :bouncmsk:

Drekkus
27-10-2003, 21:48:47
I've had it with this piece of shit apparatus. I finally found a (not even sure it's THE) ip-adress where I could configure the router. It was a different site to the one described in the manual, but I think it's from the same company. I find the wep enabler, give in a encryption key (64 bit), that I have to make up (wrote it down of course). I save and restart, go to the network configuration on the pc, enable WEP and try to give in the key. Then the stupid motherfucker tells me I can only give in a 40 or 104 key bit encryption, which I of course do not have. Then my connection dies for the 40th time, and I have to reset the router once more, restart the pc a few times to get my connection back.

I will either let every asshole in the neighbourhood use my connection, or bring it back to the store. I'm not touching that encryption again.

zmama
27-10-2003, 21:55:32
sorry :(

Drekkus
27-10-2003, 21:59:20
I should swear more often. All of a sudden I CAN reach that ip adres, don't ask me why. So i will give it one more go.

And don't be sorry Zmama, without your help I would have smashed it to pieces before the weekend already. At least I have a wireless internetconnection right now.

Nav
31-10-2003, 23:11:28
[removed will post this in a new thread another time!]