PDA

View Full Version : Time to run Windows Update again.

Sir Penguin
16-10-2003, 00:54:16
MS has released 4 new critical updates.

I don't know if this affects just Windows XP or other versions as well (do your own damned research).

This message brought to you by the Coalition of People Who are too Paranoid to Set Windows Update to Automatic.

Link (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20031015/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_security_dc)

SP

Deacon
16-10-2003, 05:00:19
I see five. I just read the descriptions of all those, and I believe that MS just woke up one morning and finally figured out that the default behavior of their software is stupid. Which is the very same reason that I don't update automatically. :)

Sir Penguin
16-10-2003, 05:36:12
Yes, but only four of them are for Windows.

SP

Darkstar
16-10-2003, 07:23:04
I had 5 for work, and 6 for home.

This is the STUPIDEST thing ever.

Microsoft has gone from weekly updates to MONTHLY updates (even for CRITICAL), due to the whining of their large corp IT departments. Now... keep in mind that the mean time between a vulnerability being publicized to an exploit using it is now a mere 25 days... That's real days, not business counting. So now, you open a real window ... vulnerability gets publicized just after the monthly update, and you get the mass of exploits before they release the update. Bleah. Pure stupidity.

And it's because Microsoft is now doing their releases on a MONTHLY basis, that you have so many sitting out there suddenly.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
16-10-2003, 15:24:42
I think it's a deliberate ploy so Microsoft can be even more intrusive into your machine by requiring that everyone becomes automatic.

"See, there's all these exploits, right? And no-one's patching their systems, and you all get hit, so we're switching Windows Update to Automatic for your own good."

If it does go that way, Windows Update is the first thing I set to block in my firewall.

No longer Trippin
16-10-2003, 15:52:17
Qaj: Won't work for corporate customers. The reason why some systems go unpatched isn't because the IT Dept. doesn't have time, but that the updates sometimes conflict with any number of things - hence why some wait a few days and see if there is any bitching about any problems with dept heads with systems similar to their companies, if there is none, then they'll patch it, if there are issue, they won't. Other times it does come down to time or laziness.

Now that I've restored my system, MS is registering my old OS copy as invalid as I had to reinstall and call earlier as I was without enough space to do a recovery from a backup. So I had to wait over a week for MS to respond. They gave me a damned number in India to call to get it sorted out. To recertify the CD key and cancel the old one took 10 fucking minutes easily as the idiot kept on asking me if I was using pirated software. Yeah, that's why I'm calling to get one vioded so I can get another one to work dipshit. :rolleyes: It took them no time at all to cancel my previous key it seems though. Assholes. Would have been nice if they would have told me since I did tell the bitch on the other end it was a temporary install due to the fact that I don't have the space to restore a backup.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
16-10-2003, 19:25:19
Oh, I know it won't work for corporate - it wouldn't work here, and we're "semi-corporate". But since when did that ever stop Microsoft from insisting everyone does it THEIR way?

Strange: I have two systems side by side, and I perform a Windows Update on them at the same time. The left PC had 6 updates, the right one had five.

Windows Server 2003 requires four.

protein
16-10-2003, 19:50:29
Am I weird for being completely happy with Windows 98? What am I missing?

Deacon
16-10-2003, 20:41:51
98 can be stable, but it's very easily knocked over. The only lock-ups I've had with Windows 2000 were caused by bad hardware combinations or bad drivers. In general, MS realized that they had alot of unhappy Windows users on their hands, and they compiled a list of the many things that nobody needs, and they got rid of those things. Like the "please reboot" for any and every configuration change. Or the "you didn't shut down properly" message after a BSOD. Or the BSOD itself. The text of the BSOD implies that it's possible to recover, but I've never seen a successful recovery from a BSOD. And once, I tried three times to install 98 on a new machine without some "registry checker" daemon deciding to roll everything back even though the drivers installed successfully.

Sir Penguin
16-10-2003, 21:08:24
I think that one of MS's best ideas was to train users to expect a BSOD every so often and let it go with nothing but a :rolleyes:, and then remove the regular BSODs from their operating system.

SP

Darkstar
16-10-2003, 21:27:13
Actually, I have recovered from a couple of BSODs. But that was out of thousands.

It is Automatic for HOME users. Corps decide if they want the Auto thing to be on or off. Set by initial OE/private build first loaded, and then by network pushed policies.

But this deal to go monthly, that's just stupid. And all because their biggest corp customers are complaining they cannot keep up. Hell, at monthly, they won't be able to keep up. At YEARLY, they won't be able to keep up. That's just how the job goes.

And Trip, it is because they "Don't have time". Hell, most large corps cannot even put their hands on 50% of the boxes on their networks. Seriously. That's why Microsoft WANTED to go with auto-updates FOR EVERYONE... but enough geekoids in the Big Corp IT Departments flat out threatend to swap everyone in their network to Linux stopped that.

This monthly business is going to back fire so bad though... It will just take a couple of MS haters to release their new vulnerabilities (with exploit code) the DAY AFTER "monthly update". And the subsequent worms and viruses that smash around after that will make very bad press for MS and bad feelings all around. You never sit on a fix that will protect customers systems, when you know something is out there attacking them. Unless you get paid to clean up those systems, of course. ;)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
16-10-2003, 22:19:15
Don't see why they can't have the best of both worlds (well, maybe that they don't want to be bothered, but apart from that) - put out the fixes one-by-one, and each month create a downloadable distributable file you can burn to a CD or stick on a network folder or push out to clients. That way, you serve the intelligent people who realise that not patching is bad, and the lazier or more overworked ones who don't have time to do it more than once a month.

Here, we don't have time to do it once a month, and we don't have push technology yet (one of our other departments is working at being the guinea pig for that). So once a month is about all we can handle, what with all the other crap we have to do, and having to schedule to get to people's PCs.

MDA
16-10-2003, 22:30:56
Microsoft either doesn't have the time or they're too lazy to do both, Qaj. :D

No longer Trippin
17-10-2003, 00:08:38
Someone working IT I think would rather spend a day (or a week) chasing down several problems from MS fixes than to than to spend every day doing so, that is why they went with the monthly deal. IT heads would get fired if they didn't keep the corporate system up to date (especially now, and it isn't like there aren't people to replace them, there is a huge amount of those who are unemployed who can do the same thing since the tech sector crash), and if patches were released soon as MS was "done" with them, well then they would spend a lot more time chasing down the odd bug here and there than actually tending to other things that need to be taken care of. They don't have the time, don't care, or don't want to risk losing more time fixing stuff if it is working anyhow until they know they won't have to run around like a headless chicken getting the patch to not conflict with something or another that is important.

DS: How is it automatic for home users? I disabled mine (I'm on 56k, so I don't need it grabbing a file when I'm doing something), anyone can, it isn't hard at all - just click the auto updates icon in the tray and tell it to go away.

Darkstar
20-10-2003, 08:43:08
Trip, depends on the OE build put on the home user's system. Some of them lock away the automatic so you CANNOT change it's options. Seriously. So unless you REBUILD your system with a generic version, you are stuck with how it came in.

My Toshiba was like that. Took a registry hack to enable me to be able to change it.