PDA

View Full Version : review Killing Joke

JM^3
14-10-2003, 06:58:00
this is my first review so bear with me

I bought their new album recently (self titled just like their first one from way back in 1980)

the last album I listened to was the Extremities one from 1992, it was protesty and heavy and I enjoyed it mostly

I have not listened to democracy and only listened to a bit of their older stuff (none of the dance stuff and none of the first two ablums)

this album is mostly protesty and heavy like extremities so I figured I would enjoy it

and I did in parts, but it was only in parts, there was nothing that was great all the way through

one of the things that I have found the most disagreeable so far is the weird voice that is seen in the second song (and a bit in some of the other songs)

the drums and guitars are great throughout the most of the album, and the lyrics are fine (good in places), but the voice (the weird one) bothers me in places, and I don't really like any of the areas where it is at

the death and resurrection show is good but not great

total invasion had good guitars and drums, but I disliked the voice

asteroid is pretty cool, but has not stood out for me

implant is pretty good, but I am not sure what my final oppinion is on it

I like blood on your hand

loose cannon is cool, but repetitious, in fact a lot of the songs have issues with being repetitious (I beleive that this is the single); while cool it does not stand out to me as a great song

not sure about you'll never get to me, it seems to have a different flavor than the rest of the songs, is a little less dark and gloomy

I like seeing red

the beggining of dark forces I don't like, but I am not sure if that is because of the voice again or for other reasons; I like the later portion

the house that pain built I initially liked, but now I am not sure, and I guess it is beause I don't really understand the lyrics maybe?

overall a lot of the songs were repeitious, but I think that is common in rock music

sorry about the lacking in this review, I am not very good at it

it is the first CD hat I have bought in a while, and I am not sure about my purchase

I like music, but I don't need to constantly have it on or anything and can go long periods without listening to anything

this is based off of 4 listenings (I listened to it over and over again while grading one night)

Jon Miller

protein
14-10-2003, 07:51:12
I saw Killing Joke when I was 12. A teeny tiny goth boy. :)

JM^3
14-10-2003, 08:03:43
how did you like them?

was that their older stuff or their dance music?

well one of the things is is that I am not goth, and they are gothish, and that might be why I don't like the one voice

I would say that both this album, and extremities, were moer protesty than Goth

Jon Miller

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-10-2003, 16:21:36
They never really fitted the goth label- they pre-dated it and never made any effort to fit into it.

They've grown heavier and more akin to metal as the years have gone by- in the early years they were more like a more aggressive version of The Cure. For their best early tracks, try tracking down "Pssyche" and "Love like blood"- they're both brilliant.

JM^3
14-10-2003, 16:25:07
thanks

what albums?

Jon Mioller

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-10-2003, 16:35:28
"Killing Joke", "What's this for?", "Night Time" and "Pandemonium".

Eklektikos
14-10-2003, 17:44:40
Originally posted by protein
I saw Killing Joke when I was 12. A teeny tiny goth boy. :)
I saw Killing Joke, er... two days ago, actually :cute:

JM^3
14-10-2003, 20:43:55
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
They never really fitted the goth label- they pre-dated it and never made any effort to fit into it.

They've grown heavier and more akin to metal as the years have gone by- in the early years they were more like a more aggressive version of The Cure. For their best early tracks, try tracking down "Pssyche" and "Love like blood"- they're both brilliant.

BTW

I have never listened to the cure or to those songs

do you think it would be worth my while to get one or two of those albums?

I like a lot of the lyrics in the newest one, and in extremities (Been a while since I have listened to that one)

how are the lyrics? is the sound similiar? and there is an interesting sound they have (will I find it better or worse?)

Jon Miller

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-10-2003, 22:12:53
If you like heavier stuff, get "Pandemoniom". If you like the gothier stuff, get "Night Time".

If you only download one track, get "Pssyche". They're all really good.

JM^3
15-10-2003, 04:00:56
well

I also like lighter stuff like queen and simon and garfunkel

JOn Miler

Lazarus and the Gimp
15-10-2003, 16:56:21
In that case download "Bridge over troubled water" as well.