PDA

View Full Version : American Splendor

maroule
13-10-2003, 11:22:53
(independent US movie)

very surprising, and actually very good

"An original mix of fiction and reality illuminates the life of comic book hero everyman Harvey Pekar"

it's heartening to see the US independent movie system producing unexpected perls like that

paiktis22
13-10-2003, 11:26:27
"The Believer" is one more of those.

Qweeg
13-10-2003, 12:03:59
I saw the Believer... I came away feeling you're supposed to be jewish to watch it.

paiktis22
13-10-2003, 12:48:53
Really? Maybe the american jewish lobby should be informed ;) They boycotted the film in the US from what I've read in Uncut I think.

The ending blew me away.

paiktis22
13-10-2003, 13:08:05
I don't think you have to be jewish to watch it though. I think the opening line of the film described it: "Why do we love what we hate"? It's a typical love/hate self theme dressed powerfully in the "jewish" environment so as to underline it. The inside information was not so alianating for someone not well versed with anything jewish. The character of the protagonist was also an open book I think. That doesn't mean it's a "generic" theme, there are clearly points relevant mainly to people of the jewish religion, but it is actually their past of persecution, although not only. I suppose the jewish lobby in the US got scared that some people would take literally the vile that was thrown by the main character against jews. Narrow minded approach since that was not what the film was about in the slightest. It's like reading the little red hood and the bad wolf and fearing that the red colour is an invitation to communism. I would go as far as say this film has nothing to do with jewish people in its core meaning. "They" are just the venue of expression the writer/director chose to describe something which isn't limited to anyone particular group.
The ending is propably one of the most powerful and unexpected/brilliant ones in cinematographic history IMO.