PDA

View Full Version : The Talented Mr Ripley.

Qweeg
13-10-2003, 11:12:44
This is a really good film, very dark, very dark, especially the ending (that was like.... really Dark) but what struck me most about this film.... was the soundtrack, in fact- the Jazz.

Best Jazz I ever heard, I've never heard Jazz like that before, I didn't really understand what people thought was so good about Jazz untill I heard the Jazz in this here film about a psychotic superlier.

This Jazz actually made me feel the same way and reminded me strongly of the relentlessly fierce techno-choruses of sound that is Hardstep/Junglism and Drum&Base. I'm going to have to aquaint myself with the artists of that films soundtrack, do some Jazz-research and... educate myself about the difference between the Jazz I usually ignore and this energetic True Jazz, to quote one of the films characters

An insolent noise.

Now that's Jazz. :smoke:

maroule
13-10-2003, 11:18:26
still vastly inferior to 'plein soleil' from R. Clément, the franco-italian flick of 59, upon which it was made

can't remember the original soundtrack, though, so I take your point

Qweeg
13-10-2003, 11:23:57
Was the plot mostly unchanged from the original?

maroule
13-10-2003, 11:25:54
98% similar

Qweeg
13-10-2003, 11:47:12
I remembered hearing that the film was written by a woman in the fifties but I didn't realise it was based on an earlier film. Top stuff anyway, I hear a Talented Mr Ripley Two is coming out soon (heheh, he's gay isn't he, and I said he's 'coming out' heheh) or already has, this time starring John Malcovich.

Anyway, the best thing about it in my opinion is the Jazz, damn good jazz.

Scabrous Birdseed
13-10-2003, 13:03:40
It's not based on a bloody film, it's based on a book. By Patricia Highsmith, who also wrote Strangers on a Train among other things.

It's a really good book. I recommend it.

Sean
13-10-2003, 13:08:09
It’s a good film as well. The other Ripley one (Ripley’s Game?) isn’t as good, but still watchable.

paiktis22
13-10-2003, 13:24:14
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
It's not based on a bloody film, it's based on a book. By Patricia Highsmith, who also wrote Strangers on a Train among other things.

It's a really good book. I recommend it.

Yep I read about it and was meaning to post it to Maroule who's been striding all over the place bragging it was a french creation. But then I forgot.

maroule
13-10-2003, 13:27:37
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
It's not based on a bloody film, it's based on a book. By Patricia Highsmith,

I know, I said as much two months ago when we had that very same conversation

http://www.counterglow.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15121&highlight=ripley

paiktis22
13-10-2003, 15:49:02
Oops I think is in order.

maroule@home
13-10-2003, 16:46:36
followed by lenghty auto flagellation for having doubted my infinite wisdom

Qweeg
14-10-2003, 13:39:12
Originally posted by paiktis22
Yep I read about it and was meaning to post it to Maroule who's been striding all over the place bragging it was a french creation. But then I forgot.

:lol: