PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Advice

DaShi
13-10-2003, 07:43:02
I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar as pianos are scarce for me these days. Fortunately, they are all quite cheap here in China, but I can't really expect a famous brand name.

So I'm thinking either and electric/acoustic or just an acoustic. Any suggestions or advice?

Funkodrom
13-10-2003, 08:19:49
Erm... difficult without knowing brands. I'd be tempted to start with an acoustic, only have to buy one thing that way.

DaShi
13-10-2003, 11:03:20
Well, I'll take a look the next time I go down there.

Caligastia
07-11-2003, 16:42:19
Just go to the guitar shop, play a few acoustics, and pick out the one that sounds best and feels most comfortable for you to play.

BigGameHunter
07-11-2003, 18:34:06
Hmmm...some of the advice I've heard is to start (assuming you're a rank beginner) with a classical, nylon stringed acoustic. That way, you can learn to make chords/progressions pretty quickly without shredding your fingers.
Then, when you feel comfortable and want to spend more money on your music, you can switch to a steel string that has a narrower neck (even faster fingers now!), build some callouses, etc.
It backfired on me a bit, as I fell in love with the classical sound and never really wanted to spend the time on a standard acoustic.

protein
07-11-2003, 18:37:15
I completely disagree. When you eventually get a real guitar you'll be at a disadvantage.

Caligastia
07-11-2003, 19:10:15
Electrics are easy to play...nothing wrong with starting out on one.

BigGameHunter
07-11-2003, 20:47:33
I have a classical, a steel string acoustic and two electrics...I play the steel acoustic far less than the others.
Maybe it is better to start with the steel string--but one thing I can do quite well is finger pick, and I owe that to the classical's ease.

Vincent
08-11-2003, 11:43:14
In my opinion it doesn't matter what to start with, as long as it's a good instrument. It may take time to learn how to play a different kind of guitar. Thought the selection may affect te personal style you are developing.
Personallly I think starting with a good acoustic guitar has some pros for beginners, but it's a matter of taste:

* Errors are quite easy to find out . Electric guitars may produce a good "grunge" sound if played badly. On the other side a well played guitar can sound pretty nasty if you don't have a proper amp or a bad setup. The "mechanical" feel is quite good for a beginner: You create the tones without any gimmicks

* You can take your guitar anywhere you want to without carrying an amp around

Sir Penguin
08-11-2003, 11:52:28
The biggest plus for getting an electric is that if you don't plug it in, nobody can hear you.

SP

protein
08-11-2003, 12:16:11
Nice steel acoustic. They are harder to play than all the others and will make electric guitars (your ultimate goal) seem easy.

Alternatively you could choose drums. They are way cooler.

Resource Consumer
09-11-2003, 02:34:44
In China all is cheap.

Anyway, guitars are by definition crap there as they are used to microtonal structures - the guitar is not a cherished instrument. Get any old one - learn to play, charm your girlfriend as it don't really matter what the guitar is.

Just learn first position chords and do not care if you need mole grips to hold down anything else higher up the neck - that will come in time. You have a great opportunity to learn the basics real cheap.

Learn simple - die happy.

protein
09-11-2003, 11:00:52
Can you post me a pair of cheap Chinese made wide diaphram condenser microphones?

Vincent
09-11-2003, 14:07:04
Is that some kind of sex toy?