PDA

View Full Version : Therapy? - High Anxiety.

paiktis22
09-10-2003, 18:30:05
Although at first listening I thought they had sold out, not in what regards their music (this has stayed satisfyingly typical Therapy? with way better production compared to the albums TroubleGum and Infernal Love and more detractional playing = less notes, better play/result) but in the meaning that if you only have 3 or 4 good songs don't put out a record with fillers, wait a while, make some more good songs and then put out the record and screw your company and its contract or the fans will screw you.

But at second listening the other songs go down more easily too but remain a grade less than the "show off" ones - the ones they can easily make singles out of them to convince you to buy the album.

But it's songs like Hey Satan you Rock, Who Knows, Watch you Go and (their best IMO) Vodoo Doll that posses that extrovent, guiltless, unchained rock for which I like Therapy?.

High Anxiety doesn't reach the hights of TroubleGum and is in more or less equal ground with Infernal Love but different. It will do good in concerts and certaintly isn't a testament that Therapy? are all "used up" and have exhausted their creativity, not a conclusive one anyway.

Maybe the main "problem" with them is that they have become happier than what they were when they put out Troublegum! And while this is great news for them, their music seems to drift dangerously away from the anguish-filled and unholy/unashamed explosions of lashing out for which they became known and liked.

But there are 3 or 4 songs in High Anxiety that are the fine balanced fierce river of rock for which they were known and they justify IMO buying the album and at just 17 euroes it's even easier.

edit: this change in mood is obvious however that shouldn't necessairily mean the fade out of Therapy?. They don't have to repeat themselves anyway and they certaintly couldn't if they are "someone else" now. Songs like Vodoo doll show the way, I think, of what their "new" music can be like. If they follow that road they still have a lot of future. They better watch more carefully the timing of their albums though. More is not always better if the time isn't right - but they can be easily "excused" - this time.

paiktis22
09-10-2003, 20:27:45
Of course who am I kidding? I fucking love those songs I mentioned big time :D My kind of music exactly.

Funkodrom
10-10-2003, 08:26:22
Cool. Going to see them in a few weeks time. :)

paiktis22
10-10-2003, 11:35:52
I don't think I would miss it myself :)
Unfortunately my fears were verified and the gig in Athens was postponed. Hopefully they will visit at the start of 2004.

Funkodrom
10-10-2003, 11:41:42
Damn. :(

protein
10-10-2003, 11:59:34
Have you heard any more details about that gig?

Funkodrom
10-10-2003, 12:15:56
Yeah, loads and loads and I'm deliberately not telling you because I hate you

or

Yeah but I thought it was boring and you wouldn't want to know

or

No

:)

paiktis22
11-10-2003, 12:13:10
Damn.

Yep and that's an understatement :( I was really looking forward to that concert. That and nothing else as far as concerts go. I even got bored to go to the Fuzztones but I'd be in the front row in the Therapy? concert.

Michael from the band said that the Greek promoter (whoever the fuck that maybe, they are notorius for screwing things up) asked them to postopone the gig for some reason. Still I have to ask myself about the way bigger cost of getting the band here from Italy since they don't travel through the Balkans - they would have to bribe their way through corrupted police every 10 km or something, I know, I've done the trip long ago. And now there's the added risk of "instability" in the region (sic).

Have you heard any more details about that gig?

Here are the venues and dates.

http://www.therapyquestionmark.co.uk/tour/

And thanks to Funkodrom for telling me they still existed. I had them for dead :)