PDA

View Full Version : Short Story Contest #5 - 'Keep off the grass'

King_Ghidra
01-10-2003, 08:05:30
Welcome to the fifth CG short story contest!

For this contest, your story should start with the words 'Keep off the grass', but from then on you are free to go wherever your imagination takes you!

Write as much or as little as you like, but please respect the fact that your peers will have to find the time to read your entry

For this one I think we'll keep to the two week entry period, so deadline is c. the 12th.

As always, only one entry per poster.

Comments on stories should be posted in a seperate thread, this thread is for STORIES ONLY.

Drekkus
01-10-2003, 20:40:47
“Keep off the grass when you can’t handle it!” The voice came from far, far away. Chairman Yang tried to look up from where he was laying, but couldn’t focus long enough to get a clear view. His head was spinning round and round, and there was nothing he could do to make it stop.
“I told him it was too strong for him.” Drekkus said, angry and somewhat stressed out about the knocked out Swede down on the pavement in this part of Rotterdam.

The rest of the group wasn’t very responsive. K_G was laughing so hard he had trouble keeping upright, Funko was smiling like an idiot, Nav was taking pictures, Zopper and LoD were talking websites and Vincent stood there with his hands in his pockets looking down on Yang. “Maybe we should just leave him here.”, he said. Drekkus thought about the note Yang’s mother had given her son to give to him, asking if he could take care of her boy. The fact that ‘her boy’ was a 130 kilo giant made things a bit more complicated though. Funko tried to say something but no one could understand his mumbling except for K_G, who screamed “Yeah, get the Brutalizer to do this!”
“Anyone wants another sip of vodka?” LoD asked, holding up his polish vodka bottle triumphantly. “Oh Christ, did you bring it with you here?” Drekkus yelled, “I thought we had enough of that at my place already!” LoD smiled sheepishly and gave the bottle to Vincent, who claimed he needed it because he was exposed to Yang too long. Nav took another picture. Vincent burped.
Drekkus sighed. This was going to be a long, long day.

DaShi
13-10-2003, 10:46:42
“Keep off the grass! Damn kids! Isn’t it past your curfew?” We laughed. Why not? It’s a silly rule. Grass was designed to be stepped on. Besides, only a cranky old geezers like that would be patrolling the green at this time of night. So we laughed at the whole ridiculousness of it. The old man scowled at us as we wandered away, “Don’t think I don’t know what you were up to? I was young once too! And I was a damn fool then, so I know!” His voice trailed off as we casually jogged down the street. As we came to the embankment of the river, the full moon began to peep out from behind the clouds and lend a gentle caress to the water below. I leaned over the railing and gazed down. Then I gazed up. I stretched my arms and lifted myself off the ground. Arching my back, I breezed the moist city air. I was ecstatically energetic.

“I should go. It really is late,” she said clutching her right elbow as if waiting for something. I turned slightly to face her.

“What? You can’t go now. This is just the beginning.” I was in far too good a mood to let this end.

“The beginning? The beginning of what exactly?” She stared at me.

“I don’t know. I don’t care to know. I just know that it will be wonderful.” With that I lowered myself from the railing, leapt toward her, put my arms around her waist, and pulled her off the ground.

“Stop,” she giggled. “What would my roommates say?”

“Do you really care?” She paused as I held her up. Then she smiled and stretched out her arms in an airplane formation. I don’t claim to be very strong, and it was all I could do to hold balance, but there was no way I was going to let her fall.

“I wish this night would last forever. I wish I could stay like this forever.” My muscles tensed, more so. Just then an actual airplane flew over our heads as it descended for a landing at the airport shortly across the river. She let out a scream of joy and passion. When she finished, I gently put her down. She looked up into my eyes then placed a small kiss on my chin and walked down the river. I followed her and grabbed her hand. “Is it true that you’re going away next week?”

“I don’t know,” I responded with a shrug.

“How can you not know?” she asked giving me that same look she always gives when I give an unexpected answer.

“I just don’t. Things can change. I’m as uncertain about tomorrow as tomorrow is uncertain. Do you want me to stay?”

“What do you think?” she smiled coyly. I hated and loved it when she did that. We walked in silence until we reached a small bench by the river. I sat down and looked up at her.

“Why don’t you tell me what you want?” She paused. Then her eyes smiled.

“Sunshine. Enough to erase every shadow. To bleach the world in a white hazy mist.” She sat down next to me. “And what do you want?”

“Me? I guess, I’d like energy. Pure energy. To take and hold. But not to control. Maybe, let it control me.” She laid against me, and I wrapped my arms around her.

“Mmmm,” she moaned softly closing her eyes.

“I thought you had to go home?”

“This is better.” She nuzzled against me, and I rested my head on hers. I closed my eyes and listened to her breathing. I sighed inwardly. And with that, I drifted off into nothingness never to return again.

King_Ghidra
15-10-2003, 11:14:23
‘KEEP OFF THE GRASS’ it said, carefully painted in white emulsion along the old brick back wall. We used to go there years ago, as children, and as children do, we ignored the sign and played football on the grass. Steven and I. We played football there.
Why am I thinking these things? Because Steven is dead. Steven who I used to play football with on the grass we were forbidden to walk on. He has a wife and kids.
I’m sitting on a bench now, across from the old brick back wall. Across from where Steven and I used to play football. When we were kids sometimes we would see adults sitting here, watching us play football. We would fancy that they were talent scouts, come to watch us play, seeing if we were good enough to join this or that club. But of course, they were just men like me.
Steven has a wife and kids and Steven is dead. I know the kids, good kids. At the funeral, they were dressed in black. I cried when I saw them the first time, had to sit in the car, the wife beside me, until it passed. But I could see them standing with their mother and Steven was not with them.
The leaves in the park today are red, orange, yellow, brown, fallen all around. They have fallen on the grass we were forbidden to play football on. If we used to put our football boots on, the leaves would end up spearing on the studs, held fast by mud. If that happened you had to go over to the old brick back wall and kick against it to get rid of the stuff. Then it would happen again. Sometimes we would spend more time kicking mud and leaves off our boots than playing football.
Steven played for our pub team. He was a great striker. He was a great striker and a great dad and now he’s dead. At the funeral the landlord of the pub laid a wreath. We all chipped in. I wanted to lay a wreath of my own, but you can go too far. That day was for his wife and kids. Still, it was a nice wreath and they asked me to write some words but how can you-
What words can-
The landlord wrote the words.
On the old brick back wall you can’t see the words any more. They painted over the whole thing in bright white emulsion. Then the kids painted over that with graffiti. But the words are still there underneath.

Qweeg
15-10-2003, 11:57:04
:mad:Keep off the grass!
:confused:Excuse me?
I said keep of the grass ya sunofabitch
Hey... now wait a minute
You want a fight eh?
No, I-
Okay tough guy, lets go round an around,
But I-
Round an around, you an me, come on let's go
But I...
Wasthematter, are you sweet? Huh? Is that your problem?
Listen fella I don't want a fight alright
*swoosh*
:eek:Hey!
:mad:Gonna talk or gonna fight me? Pussy *swoosh*
Hey! Stop swinging at-
*SMACK!*
Eeeegh.... wha- ouw, zdob it... zdob it!!!
Now keep off the god-damn grass! Ya sonofabitch!
:cry: But it's Astroturf!!!

MattHiggs
15-10-2003, 12:01:09
'Keep of the grass or I'll barbeque your arse'
'no'
*sizzle*
...end

Mad Squirrel
16-10-2003, 16:19:23
"Keep off the grass!" she yelled across the room.
Max tripped to a halt.
"Why!? What is it now!?" he asked, exasperated. "Nora--"
"It's a trap!" she interrupted.
“Yes? And....”
“Fire!”
“Great! Just how the hell am I supposed to get over there!?”
He could almost hear her eyes roll.
“You aren’t, you idiot! Do you think they would just let someone walk in here and rescue me!? You see, there is this little thing about keeping people captive... you don’t let them get away! God!”
He sighed. This had been one hell of a week.
“So... what now?”
“...There is a back way,” Nora stated contritely. “But I don’t know where the entrance is.”
“You don’t know where the entrance is.” he said flatly.
“I was blindfolded. And carried.”
“Argh.” He started pacing. “I’ve already searched all over this place. There’s nowhere for a secret door to be!”
“Well, it has to be somewhere!”
The fighter growled, and promptly did his best to break his toes.
“What did you kick the wall for!?” she said with irritation as Max cradled his foot.
He heard her gasp as he stood up.
“What!?” Max snapped.
“Um... you found it.” She pointed.
It was indeed a gaping hole in the wall.
“Right.” He turned. “See you in a minute.”
He barreled through the hole.
“Try not to die this time!” she called after him.

Then Nora settled down to wait.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-10-2003, 13:51:02
Keep
Off the grass

Do not langously offer an outstreched little finger to the
Chirping bird, withdrawing it
Quickly, pecked

Do not furtively clamber over embassy walls
Expecting to be lifted from your misery by the
Green
Helicopters

Don’t, errant, let your palm hover over
Your barstool neighbour’s desert knee

The ball should not go out for a throw-in

Once you topple, headless
Into red
You won’t cackle at your subalterns

We don’t want you here

Get lost

Asshat

Chris
05-11-2003, 20:02:22
Keep off the grass.

Williamson laughed as he read the ridiculous little sign, planted on an area less then five meters square.
It was the only natural turf on the entire station not dedicated to the hydroponics division, a supposed reminder of terra firma, a "great moral boost" the Colonel had called it.

'Waste of space' was more like it he thought, the damned square always looked half dead, especially in the weak solar lamps station techs had provided for their survival.

Why would anyone want to walk on grass on a space station? It just didn't make any sense, yet people did, time and time again. The station manager and the security staff often meted out harsh fines to anyone who stepped, sat, or some said, even LOOKED at the little patch of useless dirt and greenish brown blades.

And as he looked at the little patch, the enemy's assault team burst in, and had killed the entire defense squadron, and the irony was, the trooper who was aiming at Williamson was standing on the grass, so he spurted out, "you stupid bastard, man is that going to cost you!'

A million second later he was vaporized.